Feeding an OBS stream back into the same Zoom call?

reyndrops

I am working on a virtual theatre production where we are trying to emulate the actual theatre experience: audience comes in, can mingle before the show, then proceed to watch the show, then can speak to the actors after the show.

We are using OBS to facilitate the entrances and exits of characters, as well as precise placement of each actor on the screen (as opposed to the random generation by Zoom). Is it possible to feed the OBS stream of a Zoom call back into the same Zoom call? We are selling tickets for this production, so we don't want to stream onto YouTube or Facebook-- if you have a ticket, then you are invited to the Zoom call to watch the show.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated-- the production team is having a hard time wrapping our heads around this one. Thanks!

WBE

Have a look at the virtual cam plugin. This will provide the OBS output ("Program") as a camera that can be selected in Zoom.

SeanU

I want to do this too and can't figure out how to do it in a way where the Zoom panelists can see/hear other media in the OBS broadcast w/o a delay. I wantbto do this, because Zoom's audio out is so bad. Is it possible to configure so that Zoom participants can see/hear a clip that is streamed then comment on it like in a live talk show when a movie clip is played?

WBE

I want to do this too and can't figure out how to do it in a way where the Zoom panelists can see/hear other media in the OBS broadcast w/o a delay.
Software called Virtual Audio Cable exist with roughly the same principle as Virtual Cam, but I do not have any experience with it.

I wantbto do this, because Zoom's audio out is so bad.
What exactly do you consider bad on Zoom's audio? Because the end result from OBS Studio will go back to Zoom's audio again... does it really circumvent the problems you experience?

SeanU

Thanks for your help! I overcomplicated this. The answer (for me anyhow) is to share my screen (through Zoom) with the Zoom participants while I present the media I want to play in a different OBS scene. Zoom's audio is compressed and in checking it out with the setting adjusted it still has some weird processing effects. Thanks again

SeanU

I am working on a virtual theatre production where we are trying to emulate the actual theatre experience: audience comes in, can mingle before the show, then proceed to watch the show, then can speak to the actors after the show.

We are using OBS to facilitate the entrances and exits of characters, as well as precise placement of each actor on the screen (as opposed to the random generation by Zoom). Is it possible to feed the OBS stream of a Zoom call back into the same Zoom call? We are selling tickets for this production, so we don't want to stream onto YouTube or Facebook-- if you have a ticket, then you are invited to the Zoom call to watch the show.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated-- the production team is having a hard time wrapping our heads around this one. Thanks!
Would it work to use two computers and have two Zoom sessions -- one for the actors and one for the audience? Then, during audience/actor interaction times you could share the Zoom screens screens into each other? No idea if that makes sense to be honest.

JVRaines

Thanks for your help! I overcomplicated this. The answer (for me anyhow) is to share my screen (through Zoom) with the Zoom participants while I present the media I want to play in a different OBS scene. Zoom's audio is compressed and in checking it out with the setting adjusted it still has some weird processing effects. Thanks again
In Zoom, go to Settings/Audio/Advanced and check Show in-meeting option to "Enable Original Sound" from microphone. Then, turn on the option when you are in the meeting. This disables Zoom's processing of your microphone sound.

reyndrops

Thank you everyone for your input! We got crazy busy with putting the show up, so I haven’t been able to respond, but I appreciate everyone’s responses. We decided that it was too much to try to create that same energy, and instead focused on getting the actors comfortable with acting on Zoom/OBS, and ended up streaming to an unlisted YouTube link. If you folks wanna check out the show, we have four shows this weekend starting Thursday— go to Hawaiishakes.org for tickets!