Feature Request: NVENC

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
If there are any other developers out there willing to do this I would love the contribution. I think I've stated this before, but I can't do this personally probably ever unless I get like 3 other coders for other stuff miraculously somehow. I have too much core application development going on, and will have for a really long time. The rewrite is soonishly (in relative terms) going to be in a potentially usable state, and I have so many bugs and features I'll be working on that it'll be near impossible for me to work on a brand new encoder (unless it's *ridiculously* easy to use, like x264 for example)

Krazy

Town drunk
Like all the other hardware encoders to come along lately...it's probably not. QuickSync is pretty much the only good option right now, and it's already implemented. Has even less performance impact, too.

Darow

Shadowplay uses about 0.20 % of CPU on mine.

And the quality on high is way above what the average streamer usually has.

Much better than quicksync for me.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Shadowplay currently records locally with very high bit rates. It remains to be seen what kind of bit rate options they will offer for streaming. If you record using super high bit rate on QuickSync, you'll probably get similar quality.

Bensam123

Yeah... Like Doge said, you'll probably get similar results with NVENC as Quicksync if you check out the Techreport comparison of them.

Not to add another plug as Jim has his hands full, but if anyone is experienced enough to add lan encoding to OBS, that feature would mesh very nicely with quicksync, NVENC (shadowplay), AVC, and even very light h264 encoding with massive bitrates. Encode lightly with any of the above on a local machine > shoot it across the network to another > encode full blown with a traditional x264 > shoot it out to twitch.

gdlk

I've compared Shadowplay (nvenc) capturing with Quicksync on OBS and MSI Afterburner, it seems technologies uses very similar H.264 hardware codec, i can't see quality improve in comparison with Quicksync on my cpu. It's still great if OBS will have chose for both codecs if you have processor without HW H264 codec for example, but for now i can't see the good point to have NVENC for me. Also you still can't build even example app from NVENC SDK without GUID.

Also i'm a not professional programmer, i just network engineer who been interested to use Hw codecs on my GPU and CPU, so you can see my attempts on page 2 and 3 in this thread.

Grue

This topic doesn't make much sense anymore since nvidia will release a streaming feature in gf experience that will use nvenc. And as i said in the first post nvenc can use faster preset so quality of stream should be better than quicksync

gdlk

Grue said:
This topic doesn't make much sense anymore since nvidia will release a streaming feature in gf experience that will use nvenc. And as i said in the first post nvenc can use faster preset so quality of stream should be better than quicksync
You can already test capture video with shadowplay now, results are pretty similar with Quicksync on the same bitrates, as we see here only HW codecs are presents, so we cant really compare it with "faster" mode in x264. I still think for OBS it would be great feature to use NVENC, i'm sure NVIDIA will put a lot of limitations in their streaming client.

phone_microwave

Bensam123 said:
Yeah... Like Doge said, you'll probably get similar results with NVENC as Quicksync if you check out the Techreport comparison of them.

Not to add another plug as Jim has his hands full, but if anyone is experienced enough to add lan encoding to OBS, that feature would mesh very nicely with quicksync, NVENC (shadowplay), AVC, and even very light h264 encoding with massive bitrates. Encode lightly with any of the above on a local machine > shoot it across the network to another > encode full blown with a traditional x264 > shoot it out to twitch.

I keep seeing this idea brought up, and I would love to have it. But, I can hardly code a webpage much less implement this in OBS. I'd be willing to donate if someone would help Jim out with this.