Question / Help Fatal IO error 2 (No such file or directory) on X server :0.0. when trying to load OBS

The_Fireplace

When I try to load OBS, it crashes. Here is the log from when I run it in terminal; I was unable to find where the log file is. If I can provide any additional information to get this resolved, please let me know.

Last edited:

The_Fireplace

A few additional details that I hope will help get this solved:
Kernel: Linux 4.19.0-6-amd64
OBS-studio version: 24.0.3+dfsg1-1~mx19+1

sirmckee

Logs should be located in ~/.config/obs-studio/logs/ though the output you've provided does hint at what reads as a big issue for getting the UI to work: it cannot load the text for your language:
warning: Failed to load 'en-US' text for module: 'decklink-ouput-ui.so' libDeckLinkAPI.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I am unable to locate that file on my own system (also Debian based) but my install also doesn't make any mention of it in the logs, so I'm not sure what's going on there. A plugin perhaps?

Logs indicate that it continues onwards, then bails just after switching to the default scene, and the last line may be referring to the above error:
obs: Fatal IO error 2 (No such file or directory) on X server :0.0.

Can you provide the output of the 'w' command? Maybe X started up on :1 and you need to start OBS accordingly:
DISPLAY=:1 obs

The_Fireplace

Ok, so first of all the log, now that I know where they are. Secondly, as requested, the output of the 'x' command. Thirdly, I haven't installed any plugins that I know of, I haven't even successfully launched OBS on this operating system yet.

sirmckee

Unfortunately those logs didn't provide any new information. A quick search on the errors and warnings didn't help either.

Perhaps try running it from a terminal with the --verbose flag for more info.

sirmckee

Bummer.. still no new info. That line, though:
obs: Fatal IO error 2 (No such file or directory) on X server :0.0.

Looking into this error in general, it seems to be an issue with X and not OBS. I wonder if the X server logs give something further. Can you post the log file at ~/.xsession-errors ? Hopefully we'll get something more specific from it. That file can go through a lot of information quickly, so be sure to recreate the issue immediately before grabbing the content.

Do you run multiple languages on your system? Looks like it can stem from issues in that regard. I found another forum post for a different software but having the same error ( https://forum.fritzing.org/t/linux-fails-on-fatal-io-error-2/2398/19 ). Once thing mentioned there that's worth trying is to open a terminal and run these two commands:
export LANG=C obs

It shouldn't mess anything up by just trying it this way (as in the change isn't made permanent - only applied to that one terminal that one time).

Last edited:

The_Fireplace

Nothing gets added to ~/.xsession-errors when the issue occurs. And yeah, I'm guessing the issue may be something to do with X server or its config. I just discovered that vlc is running into the same problem.
As for the multiple languages question, I tried the export LANG=C solution and it didn't work. I opened a new terminal and used echo $LANG to see what it was set to normally, and it is en_US.UTF-8

The_Fireplace

I asked on the MX Linux Forum, and it turned out that the problem was that I had set my display's resolution to 4096x2160 when the display's native resolution is actually 3840x2160. Posting the solution here as well in hopes that it helps someone else at some point.