Question / Help Facebook live drops after 30 min of live streaming

Narcogen

Just about the only known mechanism for OBS to be causing this problem is the Output Timer in the Tools menu.

Otherwise the likely causes are Facebook itself, or your ISP interrupting streams after a set interval in an attempt to lower traffic usage, or routers that reset their DHCP addresses too often.

nfdjs

Hi, thanks for your reply. I've upped the OBS timer to 9999 and am going to give that a go.
As I said, I did a test just streaming from Facebook and it lasted the 2 and a half hours, so don't think it could be my ISP

AwakenedCloud

So something I noticed is that (for me at least), OBS cannot reconnect back to Facebook until I copy the stream key back into OBS. According to Facebook, these keys should last for seven days, but I end up having to copy it back into OBS again on a daily basis to get it working. I don't know if that means that it's valid for seven days OR until it's used or if this is some weird glitch.

I tried using a persistent key once, but that also failed.

I'm going to start keeping track of the keys to see if I can find some type of pattern.

As far as the error I'm running into, this is what the log says.

17:59:45.527: [rtmp stream: 'adv_stream'] Dynamic bitrate enabled. Dropped frames begone!
17:59:45.527: [rtmp stream: 'adv_stream'] Connecting to RTMP URL rtmps://live-api-s.facebook.com:443/rtmp/...
17:59:45.555: [rtmp stream: 'adv_stream'] Interface: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (ethernet, 1000 mbps)
17:59:46.119: [rtmp stream: 'adv_stream'] Connection to rtmps://live-api-s.facebook.com:443/rtmp/ successful
17:59:46.128: ==== Streaming Start ===============================================
18:37:05.133: WriteN, RTMP send error 10053 (4104 bytes)
18:37:05.133: WriteN, RTMP send error 10053 (119 bytes)
18:37:05.133: WriteN, RTMP send error 10038 (42 bytes)
18:37:05.133: [rtmp stream: 'adv_stream'] Disconnected from rtmps://live-api-s.facebook.com:443/rtmp/
18:37:05.133: Output 'adv_stream': stopping
18:37:05.133: Output 'adv_stream': Total frames output: 67145
18:37:05.133: Output 'adv_stream': Total drawn frames: 67186 (67189 attempted)
18:37:05.133: Output 'adv_stream': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 3 (0.0%)
18:37:05.133: Output 'adv_stream': Reconnecting in 10 seconds..
18:37:05.148: Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 6/67168 (0.0%)
18:37:05.231: warning: 2 frames left in the queue on closing
18:37:15.135: ---------------------------------
18:37:15.135: [x264 encoder: 'streaming_h264'] preset: veryfast
18:37:15.135: [x264 encoder: 'streaming_h264'] settings:
18:37:15.135: rate_control: CBR
18:37:15.135: bitrate: 3000
18:37:15.135: buffer size: 3000
18:37:15.135: crf: 0
18:37:15.135: fps_num: 30
18:37:15.135: fps_den: 1
18:37:15.135: width: 1280
18:37:15.135: height: 720
18:37:15.135: keyint: 60
18:37:15.135:
18:37:15.143: ---------------------------------
18:37:15.144: [FFmpeg aac encoder: 'avc_aac_stream'] bitrate: 128, channels: 2, channel_layout: 3
18:37:15.144:
18:37:15.146: [rtmp stream: 'adv_stream'] Dynamic bitrate enabled. Dropped frames begone!
18:37:15.146: [rtmp stream: 'adv_stream'] Connecting to RTMP URL rtmps://live-api-s.facebook.com:443/rtmp/...
18:37:15.172: [rtmp stream: 'adv_stream'] Interface: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (ethernet, 1000 mbps)
18:37:15.654: RTMPSockBuf_Fill, recv returned -30848. GetSockError(): 0 (The operation completed successfully.)
18:37:15.654: Output 'adv_stream': Reconnecting in 10 seconds..
18:37:15.654: [rtmp stream: 'adv_stream'] Connection to rtmps://live-api-s.facebook.com:443/rtmp/ failed: -3
18:37:35.655: [rtmp stream: 'adv_stream'] Dynamic bitrate enabled. Dropped frames begone!
18:37:35.655: [rtmp stream: 'adv_stream'] Connecting to RTMP URL rtmps://live-api-s.facebook.com:443/rtmp/...
18:37:35.655: [rtmp stream: 'adv_stream'] Interface: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (ethernet, 1000 mbps)
18:37:36.111: RTMPSockBuf_Fill, recv returned -30848. GetSockError(): 0 (The operation completed successfully.)
18:37:36.111: Output 'adv_stream': Reconnecting in 10 seconds..
18:37:36.111: [rtmp stream: 'adv_stream'] Connection to rtmps://live-api-s.facebook.com:443/rtmp/ failed: -3

DJ Skang

Hi, I have been streaming my DJ sets on Facebook Live for about 2 plus weeks with OBS Studio. Like the rest of the community here, I have noticed that my streams get cut off abruptly after about an hour. It is definitely not copyright issue because FB AI will only mute certain segments if it 'sense' the infringe part and FB will send a note claiming it might be infringed. I play only bootlegs and unofficial remix tracks (DJs in here will know what that means). I hope the OBS Studio experts here can help resolve the issue of many of us here, thank you (whoever can assist) in advance.

lobovilches

Hi guys, I have exactly the same problem, after 35min OBS drops the connection.

In youtube Live I don't have this problem... I played 2 hours without problems...

I want to broadcast live music doing a DJ live set for my friends, it is not something monetized, I will not earn money for it, it's only for fun. But it is impossible via facebook live...

Sorry I dind't noticed that is a mac forum, I use windows and I have the same problem... I don't think is an operating system problem... it may be something that Facebook pull the stream for copyright...?

lobovilches

I have definitely checked that it is not an OBS problem...

I have used other software, (XSplit Broadcaster) and after 30:01 min... facebook drops the broadcast...

During the broadcast (a live radio) I got several copyright notices on Facebook ...

reorderdj

I have been using Both FB live feature and also cast.io and facebook keeps crashing after 30-35 minutes on both. I believe the issue would be with facebook. Hope that gets fixed soon otherwise my fan page will be flooded with several short livestreams every week :D

Hardyboy001

I tried yesterday for the very first time a live with obs and after an hour the streaming was ended, today I tried again and just lasted 30 min, I change to Xsplit for the first time and lasted for 1 hr, wondering if facebook pit some limitations to 3rd party software

Exact same problem here already for a couple of weeks already, on windows though. Last week I lowered the output bit rate drastically to 1200 kbps and immediately I had a continuous connection for almost 1.5 hours. But apparently I was lucky but now it drops out after 30 - 35 minutes. I'm very curious about a solution.

Knuckleheadz

This is basically happening to me on every stream and the same Error 9 followed by and Error 32 in the logs and then disconnected.
what is absolutely killing me is my DJ buddy is using a shitty Android phone running Facebook Live and just using his phone mic for audio and his last two streams have been a SOLID 3 hours each!
I can use my DDJ-SX directly in to Facebook Live so that is my next test to prove if it is OBS or FB not liking OBS.

AwakenedCloud

Guys, I think I've figured it out.

So my use case is that I have been streaming myself doing 45 minute fitness routines for my Facebook friends. I usually make the streams public just in case friends want to link others to the streams.

For weeks, I had my voice come through my webcam microphone and then the music would come directly from the PC via Amazon music. As as lot of people mentioned here, I would get copyright claims against the video, but normally these would appear later and the claims would only mute a couple minutes of the video. Inevitably when this happened, the video would cut of somewhere between 30 and 40 minutes in.

My past two streams I've used a bluetooth speaker connected to my phone for music instead of going directly through the PC. The audio quality is still pretty good, but I haven't been getting copyright strikes anymore. Since I've transitioned to this new strategy, my streams haven't ended abruptly. I'm pretty sure it's the copyright claims. Facebook must cap those videos in time for whatever reason. If you can, try moving to an external speaker to avoid strikes and see if that helps.

OBS_Cowboy

Did this issue go away? I have my first OBS FB-Live show tonight. I will set it to custom. Any other advice? Thank you!

ClarksonCote

Did this issue go away? I have my first OBS FB-Live show tonight. I will set it to custom. Any other advice? Thank you!

Are all of you using variable bit rates as shown in one of the logs? I’ve heard that can cause problems with some streaming services including Facebook.

I’ve been streaming to Facebook between 45 min and 2 hours at a time nearly daily for the last 2 months without a problem, and happen to be using constant bit rates. (720p video)

I also use a persistent stream key, but a one-time key had been working fine too.

Last edited:

leonyp

Are all of you using variable bit rates as shown in one of the logs? I’ve heard that can cause problems with some streaming services including Facebook.

I’ve been streaming to Facebook between 45 min and 2 hours at a time nearly daily for the last 2 months without a problem, and happen to be using constant bit rates. (720p video)

I also use a persistent stream key, but a one-time key had been working fine too.
I tried everything. nothing helped, fb doesn't like it when you play copyrighted music no matter what.
I read a lot of articles on how to lie facebook algorithm with some sound effects not to recognize music, but nothing helped also.

tonyblaze

I am a dj and this was happening to me on one of my computers. I have 2 computers. At first I thought it was facebook disconnecting until i saw the pop up message in the top right corner that OBS is disconnecting. Yesterday I streamed 3 hours without disconnecting. The fix was in the settings of OBS. I set the Common FPS value to 10 and using the Bilinear downscale filter. I don't know why this particular setting worked but i was able to stream for more than3 hours until I was tired

roguealcatraz

Happened to me also this week, the stream disconnected (but reconnected again successfully) 2-3 times during the first 15-20 minutes, but then again, the 4th time reconnected, the stream holds steady for 2,5 hrs without hiccup. This happens in multiple ISP, not only in one ISP.

FYI, the same also happens in vMix, even worse because sometimes streaming to Facebook failed and won't reconnecting. Is this a problem in FB side?

leonyp

I am a dj and this was happening to me on one of my computers. I have 2 computers. At first I thought it was facebook disconnecting until i saw the pop up message in the top right corner that OBS is disconnecting. Yesterday I streamed 3 hours without disconnecting. The fix was in the settings of OBS. I set the Common FPS value to 10 and using the Bilinear downscale filter. I don't know why this particular setting worked but i was able to stream for more than3 hours until I was tired
i've tested Fps 10 + Bilinear downscale filter, spotify on facebook and stream stopped after 34 min.