Question / Help Facebook live drops after 30 min of live streaming

John6155

Hello, I am being frustrated by this issue that I don’t know how to resolve it. My live stream on Facebook drops every time when it is close to 30 min or pass the 30 min stream. I checked in two different internet connection and I still having the same issue. Is there any suggestion or someone know how to make it work?

Data: I tested others social media platforms and works perfectly. It is just Facebook life.

please, help.

Narcogen

18:32:07.506: User added source 'Media Source 2' (ffmpeg_source) to scene 'Scene'
18:43:02.766: WriteN, RTMP send error 32 (491 bytes)
18:43:02.767: WriteN, RTMP send error 32 (115 bytes)
18:43:02.767: WriteN, RTMP send error 9 (42 bytes)
18:43:02.767: [rtmp stream: 'simple_stream'] Disconnected from rtmps://rtmp-api.facebook.com:443/rtmp/

Regularly occurring intervals indicates either some process or action in your local network that causes disconnection, or ISP policy (throttling).

If your ISP equipment (router, etc) is configured to refresh its IP address too often, then this could happen.

John6155

18:32:07.506: User added source 'Media Source 2' (ffmpeg_source) to scene 'Scene'
18:43:02.767: [rtmp stream: 'simple_stream'] Disconnected from rtmps://rtmp-api.facebook.com:443/rtmp/

Regularly occurring intervals indicates either some process or action in your local network that causes disconnection, or ISP policy (throttling).

If your ISP equipment (router, etc) is configured to refresh its IP address too often, then this could happen.

i tested it with Twitch.tv and worked perfectly. Is there any way to fix this?

Narcogen

If it works with Twitch but not Facebook, then the issue is that either your ISP is treating connections to these platforms differently, or the problem is with Facebook itself and you should request support from them. You have configured OBS correctly.

AwakenedCloud

I can confirm that I'm having the same issue with Facebook. It was fine when I streamed monday and tuesday, but every day since my stream has cut off ~35 minutes in. This doesn't happen with me on Twich. I have Google Fiber and have turned on the OBS option to throttle the bitrate if the connection dips.

John6155

I can confirm that I'm having the same issue with Facebook. It was fine when I streamed monday and tuesday, but every day since my stream has cut off ~35 minutes in. This doesn't happen with me on Twich. I have Google Fiber and have turned on the OBS option to throttle the bitrate if the connection dips.

Which option did you use for Bitrate, and did it fix your issue? I am open to try everything.

AwakenedCloud

The option I was referring to (Settings -> Advanced -> Network -> Dynamically change bitrate to manage congestion) didn't resolve the issue.

But I thought about wht I canged between my sucessful streams earlier in the week and my unsuccessful ones and think I may have found the issue. I began running into issues when I chose Facebook Live as the service in Settings-> Stream. Setting the Server to "custom" and manually entering server provided on the facebook.com/live.create page seems to fix the issue for me, although it's too early to say for sure. I was able to run a full 45 minute stream on Friday, whereas before it consistently cut out around the 35 minute mark. If I had to guess, whatever OBS is doing to dynamically get the server from Facebook is causing some type of refresh and disconnect.

If you can, please test this out and report back.

John6155

The option I was referring to (Settings -> Advanced -> Network -> Dynamically change bitrate to manage congestion) didn't resolve the issue.

But I thought about wht I canged between my sucessful streams earlier in the week and my unsuccessful ones and think I may have found the issue. I began running into issues when I chose Facebook Live as the service in Settings-> Stream. Setting the Server to "custom" and manually entering server provided on the facebook.com/live.create page seems to fix the issue for me, although it's too early to say for sure. I was able to run a full 45 minute stream on Friday, whereas before it consistently cut out around the 35 minute mark. If I had to guess, whatever OBS is doing to dynamically get the server from Facebook is causing some type of refresh and disconnect.

If you can, please test this out and report back.

I did the same. I tested as you mention but I decreased quality to 480 and I was able to stream for 1 hour and 15 min until failed. 720 keep crashing at 35 min. Let me know

AwakenedCloud

I did the same. I tested as you mention but I decreased quality to 480 and I was able to stream for 1 hour and 15 min until failed. 720 keep crashing at 35 min. Let me know
So I've been streaming 45 minute workouts to my friends amidst the lockdown here, so that's my limit. I've been able to do it twice with no issues after switching back to custom. I'll let you know if the issue comes back or I think of anything else.

AwakenedCloud

Update: My stream yesterday cut off at one point even with the updated setting I recommended. There's just a chance the the Facebook servers are being hammered with everyone being home.

Knuckleheadz

I joined this forum specifically for this issue which I am experiencing on the latest OBS Studio on a MacBookPro running 10.15.4.

I hope it can be resolved soon and I’m more than happy to help with testing if there is a beta that might resolve the problem.

Knuckleheadz

I'm not sure if this was a one off but I created a new Profile on my Mac and imported my OBS Scenes from my ususal Profile and I was able to run a FB Live stream for 1h 10mins before OBS crashed because I hadn't disabled OBS in Input Monitoring when I tried to enter Keychain.

Perhaps others could try too?

AwakenedCloud

I'm not sure if this was a one off but I created a new Profile on my Mac and imported my OBS Scenes from my ususal Profile and I was able to run a FB Live stream for 1h 10mins before OBS crashed because I hadn't disabled OBS in Input Monitoring when I tried to enter Keychain.

Perhaps others could try too?
Are you saying to make a new profile? Also, can you explain input monitoring.

I had luck for about a week and a half with no crashes, but they started coming back this week for whatever reason... It's incredibly frustrating. I would stream out of Facebook directly, but they don't have the proper tools to handle a multi-audio source stream from what I can tell.

Knuckleheadz

In Catalina (maybe other MacOS' too) Input Monitoring in Security System Preferences checks for Keystrokes from applications. If you use KeyChain or a Password Manager it tries (I think) to disable keyboard monitoring so someone couldn't record your inpuit and reveal your password. OBS crashes if you try to use KeyChain or a Password Manager while it's running.

Not entirely sure the new profile worked for me consistently as my last 2 streams were still only around 38 minutes (its almost always 38 minutes before its disconnected).. my tests were FB Live Streams that I set Privacy to Just Me and I had no obvious issues. When I later did a Live Stream set to Public, the issue was back :(

AwakenedCloud

In Catalina (maybe other MacOS' too) Input Monitoring in Security System Preferences checks for Keystrokes from applications. If you use KeyChain or a Password Manager it tries (I think) to disable keyboard monitoring so someone couldn't record your inpuit and reveal your password. OBS crashes if you try to use KeyChain or a Password Manager while it's running.

Not entirely sure the new profile worked for me consistently as my last 2 streams were still only around 38 minutes (its almost always 38 minutes before its disconnected).. my tests were FB Live Streams that I set Privacy to Just Me and I had no obvious issues. When I later did a Live Stream set to Public, the issue was back :(
Yes. It's like clockwork around the 35-38 minute mark. It's so predictable I warn people that it will happen around that time. And it takes about 2 minutes to bring back up afterwards.

Knuckleheadz

Yes. It's like clockwork around the 35-38 minute mark. It's so predictable I warn people that it will happen around that time. And it takes about 2 minutes to bring back up afterwards.
Yep, really strange and yet my mate has just DJ'd tonight using a crappy mobile phone running only 360p with audio taken from his phone mic and he has played for 30h 30 mins!!! It's incredibly frustrating :(

nfdjs

I am a DJ and did my second broadcast last night. I too am using Facebook and getting a drop out at exactly 35 minutes. I use a Mac and as the signal drops out, I see a 'flag' in the top right hand corner which says "OBS is disconnecting".

As a test, I decided to stream from Facebook directly for 2 1/2 hours, and I had no break in the broadcast.

I really love the OBS interface and love using it, if only I could sort this issue. I have some loyal followers who in the most part stay with the stream, but it would be so wonderful to do the 2 1/2 hour straight with no breaks. Is there anyone still monitoring this thread?