Question / Help External and internal webcam not working at the same time

Jentle

Herro there, so I have an external webcam (Nexxtech 720p HD) and an in-built webcam in my laptop. My webcams work if I enable them separately on the same scene or different scenes, but when I enable them both at the same time in the same scene, the one that is higher up in the list of sources works and the other one doesn't. I was thinking about getting a second external webcam but now am not sure if both will work at the same time.

Help is appreciated.

Jentle

FerretBomb

Re: External and internal webcam not working at the same tim

Have you clicked 'edit scene' and resized/moved them? It's possible that they're just sitting on top of one another, and if they're both fullscreen... well, you can't really see the playing card below the top one on the deck, can you? Same thing here.

If not, what do you get on the area that second webcam's supposed to be in? Black box? Just transparent (never initialized)? Red box (driver issue)?

Jentle

Hey Ferret, thanks for the reply. I am getting a transparent box where the webcam is supposed to be. I enable one, start preview, it works, I stop previewing, I disable that one and enable the other one, start preview, it works. But enabling both and then previewing makes the one below the other in the source list become transparent. I can still move it around in the "edit scene" but it's empty.

If I enable one webcam in scene 1 and the other in scene 2 and then switch between scenes, they both work on different scenes, just not in the same scene, at the same time.

EDIT: After looking at the other thread in here where someone couldn't add more than one C920 Webcams, I am kind of worried I won't be able to add more than one type of the same webcams (which I was planning to do)
This info was asked there and so am providing it here just in case.

Code:
dshowDevices : {
  \\?\root#media#0000#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\global : {
    deviceName : CyberLink Webcam Splitter
  }
  \\?\usb#vid_0603&pid_8122&mi_00#9&1ae0567&0&0000#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\global : {
    deviceName : USB Camera
  }
  \\?\usb#vid_2232&pid_1008&mi_00#7&34836af0&0&0000#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\global : {
    deviceName : WebCam SCB-1100N
  }
}

paibox

heros in an halfshel

You have something called a "Cyberlink Webcam Splitter" installed, it might be using one of your webcams. Adding several webcams at the same time shouldn't be a problem, so you might try uninstalling or disabling it.

Jentle

Hi paibox, I have unistalled Cyberlink YouCam as I couldn't find anything related to that Splitter. There were a few registry entries still left so I deleted those and restarted my PC. Now under devices in OBS source settings, the webcam splitter no longer shows up, but running %APPDATA%\OBS\pluginData\dshowDevices.xconfig still shows me the same three devices. Like I said, I can see the webcam working if I enable one when the others disabled in the sources, only time it doesn't work is when I try to enable both.

paibox

heros in an halfshel

The error code seems to imply that the device failed to initialize properly. I see that both cams are set to 1280x720 cams are set to 1280x720 and MJPEG. Have you tried picking a different color format for one of them? I recall there being an issue like this when using the Elgato with a certain model of webcam as well.

If it still doesn't work, you can try changing the camera resolutions or even switching USB ports.

Jentle

I have tried changing the resolutions for both cameras, also tried changing the format but I only have choice of MJPEG, I don't know how to change the colour format :( . Also tried plugging it into a different usb port. Please note that I am using a USB Hub that extends my current 3 USB ports to 7 USB ports and the USB camera is plugged into this hub.

paibox

heros in an halfshel

I wish I knew what might be up with this. I'm unfortunately not familiar with how exactly OBS hooks up the MJPEG decoder for a capture device, and it does appear to be using the right device IDs in the log file.

Jentle

I just hope that the second external webcam works along side my first, if that happens, I will be content, I'll edit in how it goes.

paibox

heros in an halfshel

I know a person with two Logitech C920 was able to use both of them just a short while ago at least, I unfortunately have no idea why the internal and external one you have don't work at the same time. :(

Jentle

Heya, so I bought another one of the same external webcams. At first, OBS couldn't tell the difference between them and told me that the camera was already in use by a source (much like the problem in the Logitech C920 thread). So I went ahead and got the build that paibox linked and got the cameras working individually. But I still can't run them at the same time in the same scene :(

EDIT: It worked, I just had to reduce the resolution of one of the webcams to nearly half of it's original but it worked. I wish I could have two webcams at 720p but this will do for now, thanks for the help :)

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer

Hm, seems I'm going to have to buy multiple webcams for testing in the future

Ryan Kellner

Skype and my camera app works but when i try to go into OBS and i click the facecam box it has a red box around it and camera does not pop up, WHY???

Romsil

Hm, seems I'm going to have to buy multiple webcams for testing in the future

Hi Jim not sure if you guys ended up getting different CAM's but I had similar issue I found the root cause apprear to be the output type itself. One of my cams outputs YUY2 for my Microsoft LifeCam Studio. My other cam HP Webcam HD-4110 outputs in MJPG format. I can toggle and go between both but I can not use them same time.

I am going to be getting new cams in the future anyhow but I am also going to test if this is the root cause.

dping

Hi Jim not sure if you guys ended up getting different CAM's but I had similar issue I found the root cause apprear to be the output type itself. One of my cams outputs YUY2 for my Microsoft LifeCam Studio. My other cam HP Webcam HD-4110 outputs in MJPG format. I can toggle and go between both but I can not use them same time.

I am going to be getting new cams in the future anyhow but I am also going to test if this is the root cause.
do not resurrect old threads. This is disruptive to newer threads waiting on answers to question. Either way, don't necro old threads, start your own with logfile. you may reference this thread in your new one. Thanks