Every video is glitchy, stutters, and is blurry

Skippyenthalpy

I've tried fixing this problem and NOBODY has helped me. I've had this problem for over a month and it's driving me insane. Every time I go to record a game, the OBS capture is stuttering in spots and just overall not smooth at all. This also happens in the preview when I'm not recording. I've watched YouTube videos on this and tried changing settings to no avail. All the games I record i'm getting well over 100 FPS so there shouldn't be any problems.
Specs:
i5 12400f
RTX 3060 ti
Windows 10 21h2
16 GB of ram
I've tried recording to a separate hard drive and my main NVME. It was slightly better on the NVME but recently it has gotten as bad as the hard drive.
Video showing the issue:
Sometimes the issue doesn't occur but it's only for short periods of time when it works properly. I've check my CPU and GPU background usage and nothing is using them up. My GPU stays below 80% utilization while recording and my CPU stays below 50%. My NVME also stays around 15-20%

PaiSand

Please restart OBS and perform a test stream/recording for more than 30 seconds doing as you normally do, including playing games, full camera or whatever you normally do.
Now look inside Help menu. Upload the current log file and paste the url to the log in here. Click on the Analize button to start troubleshooting common issues.

koala

Unfortunately, you didn't post a OBS log yet that contains a recording session that exhibits your issue.

koala

You need a recording session within your logfile. Without recording session, the analyzer doesn't have a thing to work with, since your issue only comes up with recording.

PaiSand

Unless you're using several audio sources and need to separate them, use output simple mode.
Start running the Auto-configuration Wizard and apply the recommended settings. In output stay with simple mode and select one of the presets. Now test.
If you need to use advanced output, use CQP instead of CBR. A value of CQ between 23 to 15 is the norm (lower better qualitty)

Like other antivirus, avast tend to be intrusive and can and will cause issues. Simple closing it don't do the trick. Uninstalling it do. You can reinstall it if you need.
Windows 10 Game Mode is you friend. Enable it.
Display capture isn't the best way to capture games. It's better to use game-capture or window-capture. You only use display capture if any other method don't work.

What? Why?
13:52:24.435: downscale filter: Area

Other third party apps that interact or change aspects of the GPU may cause issues too.
Do not, under any circumstance, overclock the GPU. If you did, undo it.

Last edited:

koala

my issue happens even when im not recording
This is the consequence of lagged frames due to rendering lag, because compositing is always taking place, idle as well as recording. And rendering lag is resulting from GPU overload. Since OBS doesn't log rendering lag while it isn't recording, you cannot see this in a log unless you're recording. But if you open the stats window (View->Stats), you will probably see the live value of "frames missed due to rendering lag" increasing even while not recording.
If you often have such issues, there is also a stats dock you can add to the other docks, so you don't have a separate stats window.

Skippyenthalpy

This is the consequence of lagged frames due to rendering lag, because compositing is always taking place, idle as well as recording. And rendering lag is resulting from GPU overload. Since OBS doesn't log rendering lag while it isn't recording, you cannot see this in a log unless you're recording. But if you open the stats window (View->Stats), you will probably see the live value of "frames missed due to rendering lag" increasing even while not recording.
If you often have such issues, there is also a stats dock you can add to the other docks, so you don't have a separate stats window.
Okay, thanks for the help!!

Skippyenthalpy

Unless you're using several audio sources and need to separate them, use output simple mode.
Start running the Auto-configuration Wizard and apply the recommended settings. In output stay with simple mode and select one of the presets. Now test.
If you need to use advanced output, use CQP instead of CBR. A value of CQ between 23 to 15 is the norm (lower better qualitty)

Like other antivirus, avast tend to be intrusive and can and will cause issues. Simple closing it don't do the trick. Uninstalling it do. You can reinstall it if you need.
Windows 10 Game Mode is you friend. Enable it.
Display capture isn't the best way to capture games. It's better to use game-capture or window-capture. You only use display capture if any other method don't work.

What? Why?
13:52:24.435: downscale filter: Area

Other third party apps that interact or change aspects of the GPU may cause issues too.
Do not, under any circumstance, overclock the GPU. If you did, undo it.
Thank you!! I will try those fixes!

OBS-person

Hi there Skippyenthalpy,​

Unfortunately, OBS is fundamentally broken, and has been for some time now.
The many, many, many forum posts asking for help, or advising others of issues experienced, provide much proof.
While the tips these kind people have provided may help alleviate the stutters somewhat, I can tell you that as OBS is so sensitive to other system processes, sometimes even just clicking elsewhere on the screen can cause slight stuttering in some cases, often these cases being random.

I can confirm that stuttering occurs:

- On a fresh Windows 10 install.
- With all other manual programs closed.
- In Simple mode, following recommendation from the Auto-configuration Wizard.
- On desktop, program in windowed mode, or full screen.
- While recording multiple different types of software, audio or video.
- With older or the latest GPUs.

Good luck.