Encoding Skipping Frames When Streaming & Recording

saradime

Have a bit of a weird situation going on here, and maybe this makes sense, but I'm just trying to setup my streaming and recording settings and getting some weird results.

I have a Ryzen 7 5800X and RX6750 XT OC 12GB just for some context, and running OBS 29. I have a few options with that hardware set for my streaming/recording. Obviously I want to encode to the GPU if possible, and it should be, I'm not doing anything crazy for the settings. Here is what is happening, and I am just streaming the scenes with browser sources, no games are running at all:

Scenario 1:
Set up Stream to use AMD HW H.264 (AVC) with CBR 6000 Kbps, and set recording encoder to match stream, everything works fine, no skipped frames
Scenario 2:
Set up Stream to use H.264 and Recording to use H.265 and everything works fine, no skipped frames
Scenario 3:
Set up Stream to use x264 and Recording to use H.264 (or H.265) and everything works fine, no skipped frames
Scenario 4:
Set up Stream to use H.264 and Recording to use H.264 (even with all the same settings as Stream, just not with the encoder set to use stream encoder) and I get immediate skipped frame rates of 70-80% when streaming and recording

Is that to be expected with H.264? I thought my GPU maybe just couldn't handle two separate encodings, but it works fine with one at H.264 and the other at H.265. I have looked through all the suggestions for tweaking and streamlining the H.264 settings, nothing makes a difference, always immediately skips frames.

Knowing all the above, I'm fine to use either Scenario 2 or Scenario 3 as that would most likely get me the best recordings/stream quality anyway, I am just super annoyed at why the H.264 won't work with both? Am I crazy lol? I have max 20% CPU usage when using x264 so that is a possibility, but I am leaning towards H.264 for stream and H.265 for recording at higher quality. The GPU never passes 15-17%

Happy to share log files or anything if needed, but it isn't a hardware bottleneck obviously. Just curious if anyone can explain :)