Encoding Lag when recording.

I would be very grateful if some kind peeps could have a look at my log file and offer up any advice as I have a persistent encoding lag problem that is driving me nuts.
I am having this problem when playing a game called Project Zomboid and recording using OBS to then upload the vid to YouTube.

I have gone through your (very helpful) guides but I have been unable to solve it and the problem is still there.

My PC is half decent and the GPU is more than adequate to play the game at max settings.
I've decreased the display/graphics settings in game as low as I want them to go as I want the end result to look reasonably good for youTube. I have reduced the game FPS to 45 from 60 as when I reduced it to 30 the movement of the zombies in game wasn't smooth. I have also gradually reduced the OBS recording settings but it hasn't resolved the encoding lag.

I've also played the game in windowed mode and monitored the usage with Task Manager and the combined game and OBS GPU usage never went above 50% so I don't understand why I get this encoding lag.

I have recorded with windows game mode both on and off (according to the guide my Windows version is new enough for the recommendation to have game Mode enabled).

The only thing that I haven't done is reduce the output from 1080p to 720p which I'm really reluctant to do for a YT upload.

Should I try changing from nvenc to x264 and see if my CPU copes better with the encoding??

I'm guessing the easy answer is to reduce the game settings and/or the OBS settings and keep going until the lag is gone but that will result in a lower quality of video than I would be happy to upload to YT and as previously stated, I believe that my GPU and CPU should be up to the task of running the game and recording with OBS.

HELP!!

PaiSand

And delete avast. Not good.
Your computer can handle streaming or recording at 1080p 60fps but avast is too intrusive.
Malwarbytes is way less intrusive and protects the same or more. And if you're really safe in internet, just with windows antivirus is more than enough.

Last edited:
Set the OBS FPS to 30.
Thanks for your reply. It’s set at 45 to match the fps my game is running at. If I drop the obs frame rate to 30 and have it different to the game that won’t cause any problems? I am also concerned that 30fps will be too low a quality.

And delete avast. Not good.
Your computer can handle streaming or recording at 1080p 60fps but avast is too intrusive.
Malwarbytes is way less intrusive and protects the same or more. And if you're really safe in internet, just with windows antivirus is more than enough.
I’ve recorded with Avast ‘turned off’ and still had the same lag problem.