Encoder Overloaded but Only using 10% of my encoder

Mr_Mariooo

I have been streaming for a while now, and only about a week or two ago started encountering an encoder overloaded message on the bottom of my screen and frames freezing on stream. It happens in random spurts for about 30 seconds each. Only frames freeze, not audio. It even happens while not streaming with just obs launched. It doesn't happen right away, nor does it happen while playing certain games. Though encoder is separate from normal usage, I should note for anyone thinking it, that regardless of whether I'm playing on my pc or via capture card on my switch (not using my graphics card to run any game) it will still do it.

I tried every different encoder option to no avail. Lowering bit rate and audio bit rate to no avail. I recently tried it with task manager open and monotored my GPU in task manager, it showed my encoder usage at 10% WHILE OBS was telling me my encoder was overloaded. Here is a link to a stream in which it is happening, and I am attaching two separate clean log files as well both showing it happening.

Clip of what it does

First log file (not first time of it happening just first time I thought to do it)

Most Recent

qhobbes

1. Enable Game Mode via the Windows 10 "Settings" app, under Gaming > Game Mode.
2. Cap your games at 60 FPS and/or enable Vsync.
3. Use the NVENC encoder but uncheck the boxes for Look-ahead and Psycho Visual Tuning. These use additional GPU
4. Display and Game Capture Sources interfere with each other. Never put them in the same scene (In Game 2.0 and Just Chatting).

If still having issues, create a new Scene Collection with 1 scene with 1 source of your main content (no filters).

koala

You have a large scene setup and you are using many video filters, and there are frames dropped due to rendering lag. It seems you're simply overloading your GPU. Some streamfx filters you use need huge amount of shader resources. Simplify your setup. Make a copy of your scene collection, and as test, remove all filters and see how your stream works without them to identify which filter or filters brings your GPU down. Split your scenes into multiple scene collections and keep in one scene collection only scenes and sources you intend to use for the same stream or recording.

Mr_Mariooo

You have a large scene setup and you are using many video filters, and there are frames dropped due to rendering lag. It seems you're simply overloading your GPU. Some streamfx filters you use need huge amount of shader resources. Simplify your setup. Make a copy of your scene collection, and as test, remove all filters and see how your stream works without them to identify which filter or filters brings your GPU down. Split your scenes into multiple scene collections and keep in one scene collection only scenes and sources you intend to use for the same stream or recording.
I'll run that test, but wouldn't task manager show my GPU being overloaded if that was the case? Neither my GPU or my GPU's encoder has been overloaded.

Mr_Mariooo

1. Enable Game Mode via the Windows 10 "Settings" app, under Gaming > Game Mode.
2. Cap your games at 60 FPS and/or enable Vsync.
3. Use the NVENC encoder but uncheck the boxes for Look-ahead and Psycho Visual Tuning. These use additional GPU
4. Display and Game Capture Sources interfere with each other. Never put them in the same scene (In Game 2.0 and Just Chatting).

If still having issues, create a new Scene Collection with 1 scene with 1 source of your main content (no filters).
Ended up being either 1 or 4. I thought I had game bar enabled and all game captures gone, but was looking at the game bar being enabled and I didn't realize my stream avatars was a game capture. Thank you for the help. Sorry to repost again, I had read what you said on another thread and "done" it but didn't realize that I hadn't. Thanks for the help!