Encoder issue

capttripps

I am running into an Encoder issue that I cannot figure out. I will have a smooth stream one day then the next I cant get anything to work. Nothing was changed at all. I have uninstalled OBS 5+ times with it always set to run as Admin and still get the same results. Here the problem. Ill stream/play a game and my CPU will be in the 40-50% usage GPU 30-45% everything will run smooth. Now Restart (even after a full system restart) OBS and get CPU in the 17-19% and GPU in the 20-25% and get 90%-100% encoder and rendering lag. Stop and restart (sometimes 10 or 12 times) OBS and it will go back to CPU 40-50% usage and the GPU 30-45% and a smooth stream. Additionally this also occurs when I try to switch games during my stream and if I record something, stop, and then try to stream. I get the same Encoder issues. For the logs below it is a fresh install and no plugins. Log 08-08-27 I was on World of Warships. I closed OBS and started SWTOR for Log 08-25-51 and did the same thing again for Log 08-31-24. All had a fresh start of OBS before each test stream. Anyone have any idea what is going on? I have been racking my brain and breaking the search engines try to find an answer.

System info
Windows 11 ver 21H2
Ryzen 9 5900
32 GB ram
RX 6700 GPU

Attachments

• 2022-06-08 08-08-27.txt
    16.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 2022-06-08 08-25-51.txt
    17.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 2022-06-08 08-31-24.txt
    16.4 KB · Views: 19

Tomasz Góral

08:30:21.688: Output 'adv_stream': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 803 (7.2%)
08:30:21.701: ==== Streaming Stop ================================================
08:30:25.148: Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 6688/6750 (99.1%)
08:30:26.064: ==== Shutting down ==================================================

is not the problems for you?

Tomasz Góral

Use analyzer:

capttripps

I did that and that's why I am here if you read the post you will see that I am actually running Less CPU Usage and GPU usage with the encoder lag than I do when its running perfectly. I have yet to max out my actual CPU and GPU usage while using OBS. To me it seems like OBS is not using the resources of the computer some how. I will quote it " Ill stream/play a game and my CPU will be in the 40-50% usage GPU 30-45% everything will run smooth. Now Restart (even after a full system restart) OBS and get CPU in the 17-19% and GPU in the 20-25% and get 90%-100% encoder and rendering lag." Its not my computer hardware that is the problem.

Suslik V

Different numbers may come from the power saving, if any enabled on your PC. Or even throttling due to overheat.

This kind of issues usually hard to resolve. Some people prefer two PCs setups with the capture card in the middle. This can give you more predictable results.

capttripps

I see what you are saying but if that was the case it would be happening no matter what I am doing on the computer. It only happens to OBS. I never see any lag unless I am using OBS.

First, how would restarting the program clear overheating and power saving?

Secondly I would be pretty sure that if I was overheating or going into power saving mode I wouldn't get great performance with the higher CPU and GPU usage at all.

I really think the issue lies with why the CPU and GPU usage doesn't increase to any degree when this issue happens in fact I get less. Normally nothing running the CPU sits around 12% with a game running (World of Warships as an example) it sits at 22% and GPU at 40%. Now when I get this issue the CPU is at 17% + or - and the GPU is at 25% + or -.

Something is causing less computer resources to be used and directly affecting the Encoder and Render lag. Since it only happens with OBS I have to conclude it is OBS causing the issue somehow.

Its almost to the point where I will have to abandon streaming completely. I cannot keep spending 30 to 40 mins restarting every time I want to stream to get it to work as intended.

Lawrence_SoCal

Windows desktop OS have been very consistent for last 20+ years (since WinME), with every other release being a complete stinking pile of excrement. Win11 is completely aligned with this history. Win11 makes some sense (in some circumstances) for new CPU scheduler for 12th gen intel CPUs, but otherwise.... yea, I'm waiting until I get a new PC and pretty much have to get Win11 [looking for laptop with USB4/TB4, so unlikely to be AMD, unfortunately), and hopefully by then Win11 will be less of a mess (but not holding my breath).

As for only happening in OBS... that is the only time you are going video encode GPU offload, right? And a single utilization metric doesn't tell you what the various portions of the GPU are doing (like NVENC). Assuming OBS is at fault, would be a false assumption. I suspect it just happens to correlate (not causal) when using OBS, based on unique processing demands of real-time video encoding, especially with the many CPU driven filters and effects you have. It could easily be a video driver & OS scheduler issue

culfrankie

What GPU would you recommend for streaming at 1080p at 60fps without dropping frames? I was thinking of getting the intel arcs but looking at reviews, they don't seem to be reassuring and AMD encoders don't look to good yet. What is the lowest I can go with the Nvidia GPUs to comfortably stream at 1080p or 1440p at 60fps.