Question / Help Enabling Hardware Encoder on GTX 1000 Series?

Piipperi

Ok, so i have Asus NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti, and I can’t seem to be able to enable Hardware Encoder under macOS in OBS. I can use Hardware Encoder on Windows thought.

TheMuso

You can only use Intel QuickSync hardware encoding on Mac OS, so if your CPU doesn't have an Intel GPU, then no hardware encoding is available on your system in the Mac version of OBS.

Piipperi

You can only use Intel QuickSync hardware encoding on Mac OS, so if your CPU doesn't have an Intel GPU, then no hardware encoding is available on your system in the Mac version of OBS.
What are you talking about? Your comment makes no sense. I forgot to mention, my machine is Mac Pro 2008

Narcogen

What are you talking about? Your comment makes no sense. I forgot to mention, my machine is Mac Pro 2008

He's saying that in OBS, the only hardware video encoder supported when running on MacOS is Intel QuickSync, which is a feature of Intel CPUs with integrated video.

Mac Pros from that era (like the one I use) have Xeon chips with no integrated video, so there is no QuickSync feature to use.

As far as I know this is still true, although the most recent items I can see confirming this on the forum are from 2016-2017. But I also don't see any changelog items indicating that NVENC support has been added to the MacOS version.

If you want to use the NVENC feature of your 1050Ti while running in that machine, you'll probably need to install Windows 10 to do it.

Piipperi

He's saying that in OBS, the only hardware video encoder supported when running on MacOS is Intel QuickSync, which is a feature of Intel CPUs with integrated video.

Mac Pros from that era (like the one I use) have Xeon chips with no integrated video, so there is no QuickSync feature to use.

As far as I know this is still true, although the most recent items I can see confirming this on the forum are from 2016-2017. But I also don't see any changelog items indicating that NVENC support has been added to the MacOS version.

If you want to use the NVENC feature of your 1050Ti while running in that machine, you'll probably need to install Windows 10 to do it.
As i’ve said already, i do have Windows already, but why cant we use NVENC in macOS?

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
It doesn't. NVIDIA does not provide a mechanism for NVENC to work on macOS. NVIDIA currently only provides NVENC for Windows and Linux. That's a vendor issue, not an issue OBS can solve.

Piipperi

It doesn't. NVIDIA does not provide a mechanism for NVENC to work on macOS. NVIDIA currently only provides NVENC for Windows and Linux. That's a vendor issue, not an issue OBS can solve.
Now that RTX is out, they have stopped the development of GTX :(

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Now that RTX is out, they have stopped the development of GTX :(
That really doesn't affect NVENC or its availability on platforms, except that the newer GPUs will probably have improved NVENC chips. RTX is just a branding change and a new architecture.

Piipperi

There's no reason for Nvidia to invest in MacOS when Apple does not ship any hardware with Nvidia chips. The only reason they provide the web drivers is for buyers of aftermarket cards.
Then why did they invest in GSYNC and Drivers on macOS?

Narcogen

Then why did they invest in GSYNC and Drivers on macOS?
Without drivers they cannot sell into the Macintosh aftermarket at all.

The lack of NVENC they probably do not consider to be actively hindering their aftermarket sales to Macintosh users, as it is a niche use case.

Piipperi

Without drivers they cannot sell into the Macintosh aftermarket at all.

The lack of NVENC they probably do not consider to be actively hindering their aftermarket sales to Macintosh users, as it is a niche use case.
Too bad i guess then. I dont think older ATI GPUs would have hardware encoder neither. Well i guess i have to keep recording at 720p

Narcogen

Even with the newer cards it's not supported in MacOS-- only QuickSync (Apple VT Hardware Encoder).

I have an older Mac Pro with a new RX580 in it, which is supported by the AMF encoder, but I have to boot into Windows 10 to use it.