Bug Report Elgato HD. Can't select Expanded HDMI Color Range When Input is Component.

Jay Rockets

I have a PS2 connected to an Elgato HD using the PS2/PS3 cable that came with it. If I play games without OBS open, everything looks normal. The moment I open OBS, my TV screen darkens quite a bit. Everything just looks wrong. The same thing happens with the Elgato Game Capture HD software. The solution was to select Expanded HDMI Color Range. I was able to do this in the Elgato software, but not in OBS. OBS won't allow me to change the HDMI Color Range when Input is component. I attached a pic for you to see what I mean. The game image is representative of what appears on stream as well as on my TV screen. Switching Color Range from Partial to Full in the OBS source properties fixes the issue for the stream, but not for my TV screen. Adjusting the brightness on my TV and in OBS I am able to get something decent, but I'd rather have the games on my TV look the same whether I'm streaming or not without adjusting brightness levels back and forth all the time.

example.png

Last edited:

Tomasz Góral

I understand correctly, you are surprised that the HDMI color range option does not work if you choose to get a signal from a non-HDMI interface?
Color range can only work in a digital system, the Component interface is an analog part.

Jay Rockets

It works in the Elgato Capture software. Look in the pic. It's the same exact setting parameters in both Elgato's software and OBS, but for some reason I can't select Expanded in OBS. And selecting HDMI doesn't work. I get no picture.

And it's not actually connected via component. The ps2 connects to the Elgato using the Elgato provided cable, the Elgato connects to the TV via HDMI. The Elgato must be converting from Component to HDMI, and therefore requires the Expanded color range as you can see by the crushed blacks in the OBS picture.

Jay Rockets

So I don't think this is OBS's fault. I tried out Xsplit Broadcaster and it's the same issue. You even get the same configuration window. So this Elgato's problem.

dlauv

I'm having the same problem and thinking of just setting my TV to expanded color range. I too wonder if there's an .ini I can just fix.

Even with "full" selected tho, it's still a little too washed out.