Elgato Harware Issues (Causing Dropped Frames not Logged in OBS stats)

I'm at my wits end here but maybe someone here can offer some insight or a solution I haven't tried or thought of. So here's the short of it first. I got a new computer with a lovely 4080 in it and switched my Elgato 4k60 Mk. II into it and cannot capture a clean video without major dropped frames in either the Elgato software or in OBS (frame drops are not logged in stats in OBS). Pass through is perfect and buttery smooth. I switched to an external Elgato HD60 S capture card and experienced the exact same problem. Switched the 4k60mkII into my old computer and it seemed to work without issue there.

I'll start by sharing my specs as well as the log and a link to sample videos;

Here is a log for the Tactics Ogre Sample from the link below: https://obsproject.com/logs/FORgOVTr2NNsnRA3
Two samples; Tactics Ogre sample from my Switch and Persona 3 Portable from my PS5 (logs included): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Ydwn1TTFBBFKtRQVG8rwFhwyulHVabEp?usp=sharing
I've experienced the issue with Final Fantasy 16 in 4K30 recording as well and could provide a sample of that as well.

My New Computer Specs:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-13700KF Processor (8X 3.40GHz + 8X 2.50GHz/30MB L3 Cache)​
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z790-P WiFi​
Memory: 32GB [16GB x2] DDR5-5600MHz Teamgroup T-FORCE DELTA RGB (White)​
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 - 16GB GDDR6X (DLSS 3.0 – AI-Powered Performance) - GIGABYTE AERO OC​
Power Supply: 750 Watt - 80 PLUS Gold Certified (White)​
Operating System: Windows 11 Home​
Storage: Both Recording Storage and Operating System Drive are NVME SSDs​
Things I've tried:
  • Reseated the 4K60MK.II in PCIE slot, and tried two different slots (probably not issue since the external capture card exhibited same problem)
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled Elgato's software and drivers as well as OBS including through the Device Manager.
  • Updated Drivers for 4080 graphics card (I tried the Game Drivers as well as the Studio Drivers)
  • Flashed newest motherboard BIOS to my Z790-P motherboard
  • Went through the OBS log analyzer which led me to turn on things like GameMode in windows and turn off GPU Scheduling (Didn't make a difference for this problem)
  • I've tried default as well as custom settings in OBS properties (Something I noticed was that most places recommend that Video Format be set to NV12 but the only option I have available for either capture cards I tested with this issue was YUY2 or Any - this might be a decent lead to what might be an issue????) I'll put a picture below that shows the custom setup that lists only one video format
  • I installed my 4k60 MK.II in my old capture computer and tested Tactics Ogre and it worked just fine (and had multiple Video Format options unlike the above issue) so I think it's something to do with hardware/driver/software issues on the new one).
  • Confirmed that no Firmware updates were available for the 4K60MK.II. Considered trying going back to older firmawares just to try but that doesn't seem to be an option??

• Screenshot 2023-07-23 191642.png
Things I have questions about:
  • The above Video Format list only offering YUY2 when it should have more options??? Might be a lead to what's going weird???
  • Is there a BIOS level thing I need to look into like PCIE slot stuff or other??? Don't know too much about that but according to the above image the PCI connection is Gen 2x4. I think all the slots in my motherboard are Gen 4 so are there compatibility issues with that???
  • Is there an NVIDIA graphics setting somewhere that is getting in the way, maybe something specific to new 40 series and there dual encoding capabilities (Lovelace)?
There might be details I'm forgetting to share as I've been trying things out for a several days at this point but hopefully this is enough to get someone smarter and cleverer than my self to find a lead. I need to get back to recording so my content doesn't fall behind and I'd rather do it on my new VERY powerful hardware rather than putting the card back in my old system.

b2jammer

I'm having this issue with the Elgato 4K60 Mk. II as well, on a rig with very similar specs, and haven't found a solution. I also did a test recording in the Elgato 4K Capture Utility, but while I got similar frame drops in the preview window, the actual recording came out just fine.

Link to my test recordings using Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade. (Also includes attached log).

Computer Specs:
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming WiFi
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-13700KF
  • Memory: 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR5 5600MHz CORSAIR Vengeance
  • Graphics (PCIEX16(G5) Slot): NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti - 12GB GDDR6X PCIe 4.0 (ZOTAC Gaming)
  • Power: 850 Watt - 80 PLUS Gold Certified
  • Storage (Slot M.2_1): 512 GB M.2 2280 NVMe 1.3 SSD
  • Storage (SATA): 2 TB SATA III 4-bit QLC V-NAND SSD
  • Capture (PCIEX16(G3) Slot): Elgato 4K60 Pro Mk. II
Things I've Tried:
  • Disabled HDR, VRR and 120Hz output on PS5.
  • Recording at 1080p instead of 2160p.
  • Update NVIDIA graphics driver (Game Ready ver. 551.61).
  • Check capture card firmware version (already up to date, version 20.19.08.08).
  • Update capture card driver (1.1.0.198.8).
  • Update BIOS firmware (version 3101).
To your first question, Analog, other video formats are available if you set the FPS to "Match Output FPS" or "Highest FPS." Choosing a specific number seems to only allow YUY2. Not sure why this is the case; in my experience, the stuttering seems to stay the same between all of them, so I'm not sure it's related.

Attachments

• 2024-02-24 19-17-15.txt
    30.5 KB · Views: 4
here we go! this issue is ridiculous and i empathize with the amount of frustration. here is what i found after pulling my hair out.
PS5 recording specifically, as i have not used it in a PC/PC configuration
if you want the smoothest, without hiccup, TURN OFF VRR, you can keep it on, but you might get weird "preview" moments that dont show up on the recording.

step 1, open 4k capture utility, make sure your preview is smooth there. ( if you cant get 4k capture preview smooth, continue anyway) KEEP 4K CAPTURE UTILITY OPEN

step 2, open OBS, SET THE CANVAS/RECORDING PROFILE TO 59.94fps, this is important

step 3, in the MK 2 properties, resoloution/fps type: Custom, Resolution 3840x2160, FPS Match output, Video format P010 (i record HDR) Colorspace: rec.2100 (pq) (HDR)
Color range: Limited
buffering: ENABLED <----super important!! the guidance from elgato website says to keep buffering off, but you need it on to not stutter. your preview will most likely have a delay, thats normal.
audio output mode- Capture audio only

click ok!
step 4, IN SOURCES, add Audio input capture, name it elgato monitor or elgato headphones or something like that, after confirming the name, select the elgato mk 2 from "device" pulldown menu. select ok. this new audio input capture will work in tandem with the main elgato video/audio capture. this new audio input will not have latency/delay that can happen over time.

in your audio mixer, go into advanced audio properties, in here have that new input you just created MONITOR ONLY with NO TRACKS selected
For the main elgato mk2 audio source have MONITOR OFF, and select the tracks you wish the audio to record to

Now back in Main settings/ Audio/ advanced select your monitoring device : i use headphones

step 5, now close down OBS and open it again.

Preview should be clean with no stutter and your audio monitoring should not drift over time

this worked for me, i hope it works for you

soooo 4k capture utility needs to remain open, OBS needs be configured for 59.94 with a buffer and an new audio input need to be created to MONITOR the audio because the buffer will create a delay on the main source

i think the issue is how the 4k60pro mkII internal buffer interacts with OBS and how the PS5 outputs 59.94fps

Last edited:
here we go! this issue is ridiculous and i empathize with the amount of frustration. here is what i found after pulling my hair out.
PS5 recording specifically, as i have not used it in a PC/PC configuration
if you want the smoothest, without hiccup, TURN OFF VRR, you can keep it on, but you might get weird "preview" moments that dont show up on the recording.

step 1, open 4k capture utility, make sure your preview is smooth there. ( if you cant get 4k capture preview smooth, continue anyway) KEEP 4K CAPTURE UTILITY OPEN

step 2, open OBS, SET THE CANVAS/RECORDING PROFILE TO 59.94fps, this is important

step 3, in the MK 2 properties, resoloution/fps type: Custom, Resolution 3840x2160, FPS Match output, Video format P010 (i record HDR) Colorspace: rec.2100 (pq) (HDR)
Color range: Limited
buffering: ENABLED <----super important!! the guidance from elgato website says to keep buffering off, but you need it on to not stutter. your preview will most likely have a delay, thats normal.
audio output mode- Capture audio only

click ok!
step 4, IN SOURCES, add Audio input capture, name it elgato monitor or elgato headphones or something like that, after confirming the name, select the elgato mk 2 from "device" pulldown menu. select ok. this new audio input capture will work in tandem with the main elgato video/audio capture. this new audio input will not have latency/delay that can happen over time.

in your audio mixer, go into advanced audio properties, in here have that new input you just created MONITOR ONLY with NO TRACKS selected
For the main elgato mk2 audio source have MONITOR OFF, and select the tracks you wish the audio to record to

Now back in Main settings/ Audio/ advanced select your monitoring device : i use headphones

step 5, now close down OBS and open it again.

Preview should be clean with no stutter and your audio monitoring should not drift over time

this worked for me, i hope it works for you

soooo 4k capture utility needs to remain open, OBS needs be configured for 59.94 with a buffer and an new audio input need to be created to MONITOR the audio because the buffer will create a delay on the main source

i think the issue is how the 4k60pro mkII internal buffer interacts with OBS and how the PS5 outputs 59.94fps

Last edited: Sunday at 10:41 PM