Elgato Game Capture HD support?

turke

Hi there, I was wondering if it would be possible to add support for capturing the Elgato Game Capture HD, as OBS doesn't currently detect it.
Thanks

keon191

Ahh that's good to hear, I recently heard they added support for other streaming applications, hopefully OBS will be one of them. :D

cvax

Jim,

Thanks for the Elgato support. Curious what your thoughts are on performance here though. Using Elgato's native software I am getting a CPU hit of ~15% for 1080p at highest quality. Using OBS I am getting a hit of 25%. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

The input source material is 1920x1080. When I use OBS screen capture I only get about 10% CPU hit on 1920x1200 resolution though so am curious as to why there is such a large hit when using Elgato.

Also, why does the device setting in OBS say the device does not take 1920x1080 resolution? In Elgato's software it definitely does 1080 while in OBS it only accepts 1280x720.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Is the Elgato software encoding too? Remember when you preview in OBS, your preview includes the encoding CPU hit. It's possible Elgato is using a lower quality encoder or something.

cvax

The Elgato software does encode. I have it set to best quality which is not the case for what I have set on OBS. The Elgato software ends up with very crisp video at lower CPU hit for some reason while the OBS gets worse video (lower encoding bitrates and what not set) at higher CPU hit. Not sure why this is the case.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
This is because the elgato software takes the output from the device directly and encodes it straight up without any processing. OBS is designed for full scene mixing so you can add overlays and stuff like that to the scene.

* Elgato software takes the output directly from the device, encodes it, and is done.
* OBS on the other hand takes the output from elgato, converts it to RGB, uploads it to the GPU with whatever else, renders the scene, downloads the scene from the GPU to RAM, then encodes it. So it's going to take a little more power to do so. Also it has to mix the audio from devices and such.

If you want to increase the saved file quality, take a look at Joe's guide here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1764

Generally to increase the saved file quality you need to lower the CRF and increase the bitrate/buffersize by quite a fair amount.

cvax

Jim,

So OBS converts to RGB. I suspect that is what is causing the output in OBS to be more washed out than the output in the Elgato software?

Or is it that the video capture source for Elgato isn't fully supported in OBS? Xsplit recently got full Elgato support. Could this be the problem with it in OBS? http://dl.elgato.com/gamecapture/readme ... ex_en.html

When using Elgato in Xsplit the config button works to launch the Elgato control panel too. In OBS it doesn't work. The control panel allows color controls and source input selectors of the Elgato which isn't available to OBS. It also allows for audio control of Elgato. How come OBS can't launch the Elgato control panel too? OBS is able to launch other source's config like VhScrCap's.

cvax said:
When using Elgato in Xsplit the config button works to launch the Elgato control panel too. In OBS it doesn't work. The control panel allows color controls and source input selectors of the Elgato which isn't available to OBS. It also allows for audio control of Elgato. How come OBS can't launch the Elgato control panel too? OBS is able to launch other source's config like VhScrCap's.

The control panel for the Elgato can be launched with OBS and does work, you need to have the stream active/Preview running and then go into the Elgatos properties and click config, the panel will then launch just like in Xsplit.

cvax

Thanks Frostshocker. Great tip!

Do you guys have any idea on why the resolution for the Elgato in OBS says it is 1280x720 though? The capture device itself is 1920x1080. If I try to use "Custom Resolution" set to 1920x1080 it will not accept it and say it is not supported by the device.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    195.2 KB · Views: 83
I think the Elgato is always Telling OBS it's in 1280x720(See image below)
I Also don't think Jim can do anything about this until Elgato changes their drivers or at least gives him some more info.
pDssW3S.png

Maybe Jim can enlighten us about Elgato and their drivers.