Editing Audio Levels in Post

peircerobinson

Greetings, I think I know the answer to this question, but I'll go ahead and ask anywhere in case there's something I dont know about.

I recorded about 2 hours of gameplay today, using 3 captures: Screen capture, Microphone audio input capture, and Audio Output capture. Unfortunately, I didn't think far enough ahead and did very little to balance the audio, and the game audio is far louder than my voice. So my question is this:

Is there a way to edit specific audio tracks of an OBS recording in post, or is all the audio merged and unable to be separated? Is that 2 hours of recording unusable?

Thanks for your time

FerretBomb

If you have set up multi-track recording, and have recorded each of the sources to a separate track (possibly along with a mixdown track containing all of the sources merged) then you should have access to them in your NLE video editing suite of choice.

If you did not record multi-track audio and set up each source on its own separate audio track, they have been mixed together and cannot be separated. You'll have to re-record.

Here's an example of how I have my multi-track audio recording set up in Advanced Audio Properties (click the cog in the mixer section, it should be at the bottom of that menu):
1596972121109.png

I have my desktop audio routed to tracks 1 and 3, with my mic routed to 1 and 2, and my DSLR routed only to track 5.
In this case, I can select Track 1 and hear a 'mixed' version with both desktop+mic, but I can choose track 2 to only hear the mic, or 3 for only the desktop. I have track 5 recorded on its own as a 'backup mic' in case my primary microphone fails, so I'll have some voice audio available in that event, to use while editing.

grog

If you have set up multi-track recording, and have recorded each of the sources to a separate track (possibly along with a mixdown track containing all of the sources merged) then you should have access to them in your NLE video editing suite of choice.

If you did not record multi-track audio and set up each source on its own separate audio track, they have been mixed together and cannot be separated. You'll have to re-record.

Here's an example of how I have my multi-track audio recording set up in Advanced Audio Properties (click the cog in the mixer section, it should be at the bottom of that menu):
View attachment 59769
I have my desktop audio routed to tracks 1 and 3, with my mic routed to 1 and 2, and my DSLR routed only to track 5.
In this case, I can select Track 1 and hear a 'mixed' version with both desktop+mic, but I can choose track 2 to only hear the mic, or 3 for only the desktop. I have track 5 recorded on its own as a 'backup mic' in case my primary microphone fails, so I'll have some voice audio available in that event, to use while editing.
I use sony vegas pro and I can't find a tutorial on how to access these sources. I am also using multi-track recording like you said. Can you give me a run down on how to do this? It doesn't need to be sony vegas either, I just need an example.

FerretBomb

I use sony vegas pro and I can't find a tutorial on how to access these sources. I am also using multi-track recording like you said. Can you give me a run down on how to do this? It doesn't need to be sony vegas either, I just need an example.
If done correctly, your video editor should be able to import all of the audio tracks when the video is imported and placed on your timeline. To test your video file, play it back in VLC and right-click, go to Audio, and you should be able to select between the audio tracks there. If that works and Vegas doesn't show the various audio tracks, I really don't know what to tell you.

gpcode2014

Greetings, I think I know the answer to this question, but I'll go ahead and ask anywhere in case there's something I dont know about.

I recorded about 2 hours of gameplay today, using 3 captures: Screen capture, Microphone audio input capture, and Audio Output capture. Unfortunately, I didn't think far enough ahead and did very little to balance the audio, and the game audio is far louder than my voice. So my question is this:

Is there a way to edit specific audio tracks of an OBS recording in post, or is all the audio merged and unable to be separated? Is that 2 hours of recording unusable?

Thanks for your time
Hi- if the game audio is louder than the voices, it may be possible to import the audio you have into a 'stems separator' like Moises, these have been appearing everywhere now a few years after the question was posted...you might end up with 'voice' and the game sounds as an instrument on a separate track, maybe as 'drums' or 'other' ....or, maybe just try to import the audio into an audio editor like 'wavepad' and try to use a vst multi band audio limiter like reaxcomp, it can work really well with problem audio. Hope this helps.