Question / Help Does GPU Matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

itzsu

Does GPU really have any affect on streaming? I mean I know it does, but is it a big affect? because I was watching this one streamer with the same specs as me, but the only difference was that he had a gtx 660 Ti. While I only have a gtx 660. We both have i5-3570k & 8GB of RAM. He was getting 280-350 FPS, while I'm only hitting the max of 220. Is it my GPU that is causing that? or is it just my OBS settings?

Icenine63

It has some affect but not a major part.

I don't mean this rudely but whats the problem, you got 220fps LOL, human eyes only see up to 60.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
That's nonsense, human eyes can easily see more than 60fps.

However, if your monitor only goes up to 60Hz, then you will only see 60 of those 220 frames, which makes the high framerate pretty useless. If you have a 120Hz monitor, then you will only see 120 of those frames. In general, it's not helpful to run your game higher than the refresh rate of your monitor. But it is definitely possibly to see the difference between 60fps and 120fps if you have a 120Hz monitor.

In direct answer to the question, though, the GPU does not have that much of an effect on the performance impact of the stream, especially with that small of a difference between GPU models. It's more likely a difference in encoding settings, clock speed, or some other factor.

TCi

As dodgepong mentioned. It may affect encoding. During a LAN event earlier this year I had e pretty old GPU on a dedicated streaming PC. This worked well with testing up front, but it did not tackle all the other devices and captures I added during the event. It struggles to hold 30 frames, and mostly went between 20-27.

After swapping the GPU with a much faster one, the stream was rock solid for the entire week.

Seanzky

I used to only rely on the onboard for my streaming PC but the fps would drop to single digits. Ever since I bought my friend's old 6870 Radeon, it's stuck at 60 fps. So as long as you have a decent GPU (old one or new entry-level gaming), it should be fine. Note that I'm talking about a dedicated streaming PC.

D

Deleted member 30350

I used to only rely on the onboard for my streaming PC but the fps would drop to single digits. Ever since I bought my friend's old 6870 Radeon, it's stuck at 60 fps. So as long as you have a decent GPU (old one or new entry-level gaming), it should be fine. Note that I'm talking about a dedicated streaming PC.
Nice necro.

Status
Not open for further replies.