Resource icon

DistroAV - Network Audio/Video in OBS-Studio using NDI technology 4.14.1

FalconFan1

I have a friend who is using the NDI plugin and his stream from the very start is having the audio perfectly out of sync (about 3 seconds) but the video syncs perfectly. I've tried many things me having him change the sync (internal/network) method worked for about a day before it had no effect on the outcome. Any Ideas on how to fix it? Im out of ideas...

dnuttall

On Windows 10/64 with:
OBS 21.0.1
obs-ndi

I can make a test pattern show up in the NDI Studio Monitor and then activate the NDI Source in OBS where the test pattern shows in OBS.

How do I then substitute my JVC GY-HM200U which is "visible" to the Windows machine as IP 192.168.0.8.
Do I stream to the NDI monitor or ???
How do I make the NDI studio monitor "discover" the camera?

TIA....this is my first day trying to integrate these technologies!
Dave

XpoZe

What kind of connection do I need to run this ? I have a 100 download 10 upload connection. Will that work for this at 1080p 60 fps, or am i better off trying another method for dual pc?

jtm57

Kudos to the author, this is a great resource. Stable, functional, easy to use in OBS. Wish list items: (1) eliminate the install restart and (2) reduce CPU utilization.

Darren Clarke

Having the audio sync issue now myself. Tried the fixes but longer the stream goes, worse the sync issue becomes. Was perfect for a few weeks but its defo back with a vengeance now.

Shphrd

Having the audio sync issue now myself. Tried the fixes but longer the stream goes, worse the sync issue becomes. Was perfect for a few weeks but its defo back with a vengeance now.

Can confirm. I have the same issue. If i restart both OBS instances it runs fine for right at 15 minutes. Then my audio starts to lag and before you know it, the capture on the second machine turns into a slide show. Both OBS instances still read 60 FPS and I'm not getting any encoder errors, but as soon as a lot of movement is in the frame, it chops up like crazy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Shahula

I've started using the NDI plugin which is fantastic tbh. Only issue: I have game and microphone audio in my preview window but as soon as I start recording or streaming on my streaming PC, all audio vanishes. Anyone know how I can solve this? Thank you :)

Beast96GT

Hello friends,
I have been streaming Overwatch/HotS over the past two weeks from OBS to Twitch. I was trying to stream from my gaming computer alone at first, but had to turn my graphics down to low and was still getting very choppy results. Now I am using an older PC as a streaming PC and using OBS/NDI to get the input. The video is coming across well, but my viewers say audio appears to be 1-5 seconds delayed. The stream usually starts out with no delay, and then gets progressively worse throughout the session. I notice I get this message in my log often: "adding 21 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 21 milliseconds" even after turning off device timestamps. I have posted in the NDI Github & Reddit a few times and have not received response, so I am trying here.

Another question, does it matter if we have notification/alerts set up on gaming pc vs stream pc? I currently have my scenes set up on my gaming PC. Didn't think that would matter, but thought I would ask.

Setup:
Computer A (Gaming):
CPU - i5-6600K (base clock)
GPU - GTX1080
RAM - 16GB
OBS A settings -
Output ~ rescale to: 720p; encoder: x264; rate control: CBR; video bitrate: 4500; Audio: 160
Audio ~ 48khz
Video ~ base: 2560x1440; rescale to: 1280x720; bicubic 16samples; 60FPS
In Advance - Audio - audio monitoring device - should i have this at default and checked "disable windows audio ducking"?

Computer B (Streaming): CPU -
CPU - i7-2600
GPU - AMD Radeon HD 6670
RAM - 12GB
OBS B settings -
Output ~ rescale to: 1280x720; encoder: x264; rate control: CBR; video bitrate: 4500; audio: 160
Audio ~ 48khz
Video ~ base: 1920x1080; rescale to: 1280x720; bicubic 16samples; 30FPS (thought this was at 60, will change to 60...)
Avanced Audio Properties: Monitor & Output OBS A; Monitor Only Desktop Audio
NDI Source: Bandwidth Highest, Sync Internal

Uploading Logs from Computer A (Gaming PC - I see "Adding 23ms of audio buffering).

Just an observation, but why would you be encoding the output from computer A going to computer B? It would seem that defeats the purpose of using a second PC to offload the encoding because you're still encoding on the gaming PC--and overloading that Core i5. I just use preview to send over the content. I know that doesn't answer all your questions, but that just struck me as odd.

Last edited:

Beast96GT

My previous post got me to thinking about a question I have about the NDI plug-in (which is incredible, BTW, thank you, Palakis!!).

Will the plug-in use the OBS down-scaling functionality before it sends it to the streaming PC, or does it just send the raw capture data from the source? I would think down-scaling it before it gets sent would help bandwidth and encoding performance. Thanks!!

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
Without looking at the code, my guess is that if you're outputting the NDI source using an OBS source filter, it is not downscaled, but if you're using the normal NDI output from OBS, it uses your OBS video downscale.

Beast96GT

Without looking at the code, my guess is that if you're outputting the NDI source using an OBS source filter, it is not downscaled, but if you're using the normal NDI output from OBS, it uses your OBS video downscale.

I guess I don't understand the difference in output methods. Currently on my game PC I just go to Tools->NDI Source Settings and check the output box and just leave the preview going and the streaming PC will pick it up as a "NDI Source" source and encode it. Is that the "normal NDI output" you're talking about?

And I guess I failed to realize that Palakis made the plug-in open source (does it have to be?).. that's awesome as well.

tiba

Guys i need understand one thing.

How PC command the quality of stream?

Gaming PC or Streaming PC?

Im trying stream with the specs ->

Gaming PC
I7 7700k + 1070 + 16gb

Streaming PC
I5 7400 + 960 + 8gb

I just want know, how of the two pcs i setup my quality, on gaming pc or streaming pc.
Actually im setting up same config on about pcs.

Beast96GT

Hey Dodgepong, thanks for your help. One last thing. Hopefully simple question without having to look at the code:
Would the scale setting (in this case, Lanczos) be applied to a scaled game capture (BF1) in the OBS Preview? My logic is that BF1 would be scaled using Lanczos before it's sent to the streaming PC via NDI in the OBS Preview. Does this scaling setting require encoding or would it be applied before NDI sends it out while OBS is in preview mode? (and does that make sense? :D )

Beast96GT

Guys i need understand one thing.

How PC command the quality of stream?

Gaming PC or Streaming PC?

Im trying stream with the specs ->

Gaming PC
I7 7700k + 1070 + 16gb

Streaming PC
I5 7400 + 960 + 8gb

I just want know, how of the two pcs i setup my quality, on gaming pc or streaming pc.
Actually im setting up same config on about pcs.

The quality would be set on the streaming PC which is doing the encoding and uploading it to the service. With an I5 7400, I think 720p@60 / x264 veryfast (depending on the game) would be the best case scenario.

tiba

The quality would be set on the streaming PC which is doing the encoding and uploading it to the service. With an I5 7400, I think 720p@60 / x264 veryfast (depending on the game) would be the best case scenario.

Thanks for the answer.

darthclide

Computer 1 = Windows 10 OBS Studio with NDI
Computer 2 = Ubuntu 17.10 with NDI

Why is it that sometimes Ubuntu refuses to accept output from Windows, but Windows is always ready to accept output from Ubuntu? It is really frustrating to click output on windows, and then randomly after some restarts ubuntu randomly shows the data coming from windows...

darthclide

And now upon further review I noticed I have Studio running on Windows, but not Ubuntu. Uninstalled OBS on Ubuntu, and installed OBS Studio. Your packages to install somehow were uninstalled with vanilla OBS, but now when I try to install them again, A. NDI does not show up in OBS Studio, and B. When I restart the computer, these packages are somehow removed/uninstalled.

*Edit* Apparently I don't even need to restart. As soon as I finish installing your applications, if I double click the debian file again, it shows that they are not installed (because 'install' button is show, not 'remove'

Last edited:

ZipIce

I have an issue.

Want to stream gaming pc to stream pc.
Problem, Gaming PC cannot output to Stream PC.
Gaming PC can receive input from Stream PC and it-self.
Stream PC can also receive it's own output.
Gaming PC has a dedicated Nvidia Graphics card and no integrated gpu.
Stream PC has an integrated intel gpu, but no dedicated graphics card.

Both PC's were at one point connected via switch to router, did not achieve desired result.
Both PC's were then moved to the router, did not achieve desired result.
The stream PC was being remote accessed and assume that was an issue; I hooked it up to a monitor and still didn't get the desired result.
I went through the logs and I seen nothing indicating that something had went wrong.

As I was typing this I checked Windows Firewall... Added OBS 64 to the approved in advance settings.
Now it works... (facepalm)

Palakis

Developer