Distortion when using RTSP within OBS

Eucephalas

Hi all,
I have recently installed 4 IP PTZ cameras to livestream some events we have at my work, and I am getting some strange distortion of footage which I'm trying to nail down as to what the cause is, so I was wondering if anyone has had similar issues whilst doing a multi-camera production over IP using RTSP. My place of work is very large, and therefore all four IP cameras are at different switches (same VLAN) and have to do some decent travelling to get back to me in the control room.

I have an NVR for a colleague's recording purposes of all four POVs at once, which we also do the camera control through.
On the NVR and also on my PC based NVR software, the footage is 99.9% perfect all day and experiences no issues. However the RTSP feeds into OBS experience much more regular distortion and "ghosting" of frames. Using VLC I get some defects, but not as much as OBS.

The cameras are a media source with:
  • 16mb Network Buffering
  • Hardware Decoding
  • Input: rtsp://User:Password@192.168.0.X
Each camera is set to 1080p, H.264 with a constant-bitrate of 2048kbps (Sadly going any higher kills our old ass switches).

From what I can tell the LAN isn't struggling, as the NVR and my viewing software is perfectly stable. My PC's hardware is also not very stretched and CPU, GPU, Memory, Disk etc are all well below 100%.

So any ideas what I might be missing? Would specifying port 554 in the input help? Is there some form of string that I can add to my input/input format which will help?

Sadly I don't currently have any log files, but I can hopefully get some tomorrow when the livestream is underway.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Eucephalas

Hi all,
I have recently installed 4 IP PTZ cameras to livestream some events we have at my work, and I am getting some strange distortion of footage which I'm trying to nail down as to what the cause is, so I was wondering if anyone has had similar issues whilst doing a multi-camera production over IP using RTSP. My place of work is very large, and therefore all four IP cameras are at different switches (same VLAN) and have to do some decent travelling to get back to me in the control room.

I have an NVR for a colleague's recording purposes of all four POVs at once, which we also do the camera control through.
On the NVR and also on my PC based NVR software, the footage is 99.9% perfect all day and experiences no issues. However the RTSP feeds into OBS experience much more regular distortion and "ghosting" of frames. Using VLC I get some defects, but not as much as OBS.

The cameras are a media source with:
  • 16mb Network Buffering
  • Hardware Decoding
  • Input: rtsp://User:Password@192.168.0.X
Each camera is set to 1080p, H.264 with a constant-bitrate of 2048kbps (Sadly going any higher kills our old ass switches).

From what I can tell the LAN isn't struggling, as the NVR and my viewing software is perfectly stable. My PC's hardware is also not very stretched and CPU, GPU, Memory, Disk etc are all well below 100%.

So any ideas what I might be missing? Would specifying port 554 in the input help? Is there some form of string that I can add to my input/input format which will help?

Sadly I don't currently have any log files, but I can hopefully get some tomorrow when the livestream is underway.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: Will leave this up in case anyone else struggles with RTSP over large networks, but my issue is now resolved. Even though the bitrate that you're pulling through your ports may seem low in comparison to what those ports are rated for, try upping that throughput. Moving from a 100mbit to 1Gbit port has meant I have consistently perfect footage, even though my calculations only worked out to around 45mbit of use.