Desktop Audio Not Working

thelinuxcast

New Member
I'm honestly not sure what is going on here. I have two sources for all of my scenes. One is an Audio Input source from my audio interface for my mic. That works fine.

The other source is Desktop Audio. Normally, this picks up Desktop Audio, as it says on the tin. But now it does not. Instead, it just captures my microphone audio.

The properties for this source are set to default. I have also cycled through all the sources available and it still does the same thing, no matter which source it is pointed at.

I thought maybe it was a problem with my Linux install (I'm using Garuda), but this same thing happens on my Fedora install. I thought that it was my OBS install (which doesn't make sense since the same thing happened on two different distros), so I installed the flatpak version, no dice. Then the snap version, same problem. Then the AppImage. Same.

I even reset the CMOS on my motherboard thinking that that would help, but it did not.

I'm really hoping that it's not a hardware issue, but that's the only thing that makes sense to me right now. Maybe just because I'm freaking out at the idea of having to invest in computer hardware right now.

Any help is mightily appreciated.
 

Tantalus

New Member
Are you using PipeWire? I'm experiencing this as well on Fedora 35 with PipeWire 0.3.40.
The last recording I made before I just noticed this problem was on November 2nd, and audio was recorded as configured. Since then I've had two PipeWire updates.
Looking in pavucontrol, "OBS: Desktop Audio" is set to my microphone. If I change it to "Monitor of Built-in Audio Analog Stereo," then it works as expected for that session. However, when I close OBS and open it again, both Desktop Audio and Microphone become "Monitor of Built-in Audio Analog Stereo" instead. If I then change microphone back to my microphone, close and open OBS again, I'm back to both sources being the mircophone.

This log file doesn't seem helpful, since it appears like it's setting up the audio devices correctly. But it's obviously not.
 

Attachments

  • 2021-11-16 04-37-49.txt
    9.6 KB · Views: 24

Zaicyn

New Member
I'm having this issue on Garuda as well. I temporarily fixed it with an app called Helvum. Used it to cut the connection from my mic, and patch in my output instead. Its far from ideal, but it works for the moment. For some reason OBS is patching to an input device rather than an output device. If I look in audio devices>applications, its also showing OBS as two input devices rather than an output. I do hope they get this fixed soon.
 

thalionquses

New Member
I have exactly the same problem on Fedora 35 and OBS via flatpak.

No audio output gets recorded (even when added as source). It always uses my microphone as source for whatever audio source (whether input or output) I add.
 

Alan Aguinaga

New Member
Same problem here. Audio from desktop is cracking and poping when I start to record something. Sometimes it goes well. I took a file recorded in Fedora 35 and open it in Windows and it works fine. But now when I try to record something again no sound is going to record. Sometimes it gets some pops and some words, but I got more silence at all.

When I try to record something using Teams as source it only gets sound from mic and it is not what I want.

In monitor during YouTube playback bars are moving for a short instant and this behavior is not correct.
 

Alan Aguinaga

New Member
Guys, I solved this issue in OBS here doing an update. It is fixed for Fedora 35 using this repo. Just run this command and restart your PC.
░ sudo dnf upgrade --enablerepo=updates-testing --advisory=FEDORA-2021-057b10a6f5
 
Top