Question / Help Delaying "push-to-mute" delays release only, not attack

EdFire

Hi there,

First off, here's a log: https://obsproject.com/logs/U_WVGyHgZrF0jRqa

I've set up push-to-mute in OBS Studio to allow me to clear my throat while live streaming (unfortunately a very frequent occurrence). However, I've noticed the timing is off. When pushing to mute, it cuts my sentence off too early (by two or so words), and unmutes before I've finished clearing my throat. I thought to myself, "clearly I need to delay the push-to-mute in order to nudge it across slightly". Nudging it in that way would allow for my sentence to be finished before the mute cuts in, and allows for the correct segment of audio to be muted.

The problem is, delaying push-to-mute in OBS Studio seems to only delay the release, not the attack. Meaning, delaying perfectly covers the noises I want muted, but the sentence is still cut off prematurely. Is this something you're aware of, and can you suggest a solution?

Thank you.
Ed

EdFire

Unfortunately as I'm processing my mic audio with Audition, a delay is introduced before it hits OBS. I've had to delay my video feed to sync with the audio, but clearly push-to-mute is still out of sync.

Suslik V

You can try to set source's Sync Offset to -50ms in this case (in Advanced Audio Properties) and remove your video delay filters.
Don't know if it would help you with the mute itself. Are you sure that is only 0,05 sec?

EdFire

Hi there. For the sake of others who find this thread, I've had to ditch Audition in favour of another piece of software called Equalizer APO combined with the Reaper VST pack (feeding into Voicemeeter Banana). This allows you to alter the audio feed before it hits windows. I was also unable to configure OBS to compensate for the push to mute delay needed, but was only relying on that as I couldn't get the push to mute working in Voicemeeter Banana. Turns out, somehow, it sorted itself out, and I can now use that.

Problem sorted, even if I'll never work out what the push to mute delay in OBS is all about.. @Suslik V Thank you so much for your help. Disappointing that mods/devs aren't more active on here.

DEDRICK

I use EqualizerAPO and ReaPlugs myself, it's nice not having to run a DAW and route through virtual cables, plus it works system wide. The ReaPlugs VSTs are zero latency(with a few expections of course) so you don't need to worry about added delay. Infact, I had to ADD delay to my ReaGate (Pre-gate) and ReaComp(Pre-comp) to sync my mic with my webcam because the mic is about 250ms ahead

I opted to do it in APO instead of OBS simply because pre-gating and pre-compression make them more accurate, OBS mic delay provides no benefit

EdFire

Yeah, great shout. It's also nice to be able to use your mic feed to go to Discord. Nice and clean for people the other end, rather than doing all the processing in OBS.