Dedicated GPU For Encoding

Ali-Gay

Okey dokey. So I am running OBS Studio with a Xeon E3 1231 v3 and an R9 390. I've tried using the AMDvce recording thing in OBS, but I found that it just doesn't work. I export the footage, then when trying to watch it, it crashes my video player, same with sony vegas. So I end up having to re-encode it with handbrake (very annoying, I don't like this). So I was wondering if there were a way that I could run my R9 390 for gaming, then something like a 660 Ti for NVENC (because it has better support)

c3r1c3

In an upcoming release (as in possibly the next release), there should be native support for AMD VCE (as opposed to the Media Foundation version currently in Studio) that is much better.

As to getting an NVidia card for NVENC, that is possible, but you should really consider the 9xx GTX series and above (due to a much richer feature set in those cards).

Ali-Gay

In an upcoming release (as in possibly the next release), there should be native support for AMD VCE (as opposed to the Media Foundation version currently in Studio) that is much better.

As to getting an NVidia card for NVENC, that is possible, but you should really consider the 9xx GTX series and above (due to a much richer feature set in those cards).
Yes, but that would require me buying a card. My friend will be giving me a 660 Ti for building his computer, so as long as I can use either full nvenc, OR use part nvenc and part cpu, then I'll be fine

Ali-Gay

But like I said, I'll be gaming on my 390, then recording on the 660 ti, unless of course I end up getting a second 390, then I'll use AMDvce

c3r1c3

If you can borrow the 660Ti from your friend, give it a shot. It might be all that you're looking for, and you can test without having to spend any money.

As to having a 2nd AMD GPU just to use VCE... don't do that to yourself.

Ali-Gay

If you can borrow the 660Ti from your friend, give it a shot. It might be all that you're looking for, and you can test without having to spend any money.

I'm not borrowing the 660 Ti, he's giving it to me, I built his PC for him.
Also, the second amd gpu wasnt for vce, I wanted to run xfire anyways

Ali-Gay

I am looking at a 1440p monitor and need a second 390 to power that.

Ali-Gay

The 660 Ti would be an interesting test, might have to make a video on it. If you have just another spare nvidia card just lying around, you can use it to record. And if I want to, I can also shadowplay

Ali-Gay

IT WORKED MY BOY!! It's not connected to any display and the drivers have been installed and it works, it works well