Dedicated GPU for Encoding Option

Drew

The topic says it all. The idea is to have a completely separate GPU specifically for the workload of the encoding for a recording. An example is using a GTX 760 for the game while a GTX 750 is encoding it with NVENC. It sounds possible considering that there are applications that have this method for heavy workloads already. It sure would beat getting a fairly cheap graphics card over a whole new pc setup.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
If you're capturing gameplay, OBS has to run on the same GPU as the game.

Having said that, using NVENC on the same GPU that you're gaming on does not add more load to the GPU, since NVENC uses a dedicated hardware encoder separate from the rest of the graphics processing, so getting a second GPU entirely for encoding won't help anyway.

Boildown

If you have a high end pre-Kepler chipset GPU, like a GTX 580 (which is still much faster than a GTX 750 Ti at most things), then you're right, this could have some value for you. That said, I thought this already worked in OBS. I've done it myself with my old 560 Ti and a GT 630 (Kepler edition). Then again, I encode on a second computer with a capture card, so maybe it was running entirely on the 630 all along.

vbdkv

Todays GPUs can handly gaming and encoding at the same time without much effort. Every single GCN based Radeon have this ability and all of them can record at 1080p with 60fps while rendering the game you are playing at little to no loss on performance. Some nvidia cards that I don't know much about can also do this, but the quality they produce is far from what AMD can produce. There's really no need to run out and grab a 2nd GPU for encoding, unless of course you wanna switch to red team.

Last edited:

gonzotw

Both the latest architectures have dedicated chips for encoding. It doesn't hit the frame rate because it's separate from the rendering stuff.

The first nvidia cards to have this was the 600 series.

I would personally love if somebody came up with a CUDA or OpenCL encoder.

My main GPU is a GTX 470, so I do not have a dedicated encoder ship. I would love for the 9800GTX+ I also have in the system to do all the encoding for me instead of my CPU.

Gamingkunuck

If you're capturing gameplay, OBS has to run on the same GPU as the game.

Having said that, using NVENC on the same GPU that you're gaming on does not add more load to the GPU, since NVENC uses a dedicated hardware encoder separate from the rest of the graphics processing, so getting a second GPU entirely for encoding won't help anyway.
Will OBS ever be able to run on a separate GPU for those who does want to have 2 pc's

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Sorry but I am not sure I understand the question.
This thread is about using a 2nd GPU in your first PC to do the encoding, and it was explained that this is not necessary.
For a 2 PC setup you need a capture card and can use the GPU or CPU of the 2nd PC to do the encoding.

yanis31

i am pretty sure this would be beneficial to reducing game capture stutter when gpu is maxed out.

starwolf

I just recently switched back to OBS from shadowplay when I found out it has the replay buffer.
OBS using NVENC does create a load on both cards.
For example, I have a 760 and a 750ti.
Using GPU Shark, recording or using the replay buffer the GPU on the 760 rises 10-15% while the 750ti rises 3%.
The 760 has a monitor connected and is used for gaming/recording/etc, the 750ti has nothing connected and is used exclusively for altcoin mining, or if a game has Physx, I have it using the 750Ti.
OBS is doing something with the 750Ti, which normally isn't a problem, but some altcoins max out the 750.
When this happens OBS performance drops,excessively stutters and displays a 'High encoding' warning.
In game frame rate is unaffected by any of this.

Being able to select and force OBS to use just the one card would be great.
Or as mentioned above, if OBS is only supposed to be using the card the game is running on, if it's use of the non-gaming card could be fixed. (So perhaps a bug report rather than a feature suggestion?)
Thank you

Cryonic

This is already possible with Quicksync. So the usually useless iGPU on a mainstream socket Intel CPU is doing the encoding, while you play on your dedicated GPU.
But it is also possible to use your GPU for both without losing performance, so why would anyone request something that is not needed and/or already present?

starwolf

Mind stating how to set NVENC to only use the one card then? Because it created load on both.
Because I just said that it doesn't work that way.
So it's either a bug or a feature that would be useful.

edit:
I don't have quicksync. Bloomfield i7-920. QS wasn't until the next one, Sandy Bridge.

Last edited:

BioGenx2b

This is an issue that I experienced trying to workhorse a 380 alongside my 290X. In most cases it's fine without, yeah, but as VRAM usage starts to climb, significant lag in the buffer that OBS sees begins to occur. For instance, use Game Capture on MGSV with a 4GB card and all settings maxed, the game will run smooth as butter but OBS will appear very choppy.

rattacko123

If I was to have an AMD card (I don't have one, but I am planning on getting one) for gaming purposes, could I use a second Nvidia GPU to do Nvenc recording of what I'm doing on my AMD GPU?
And if it is not possible, is there CQP quality control for AMD GPU recording? Because I want to record based on quality, not bitrate