Bug Report Cut recorded x264 video becomes garbled: OBS creates files with errors?

phaolo

Hello, I noticed that when I cut OBS videos (directly, without re-encoding), the result becomes broken.
I just get a grey garbled image in VLC.

Example videos (Enter the Gungeon shop):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ud4yCLwVOCJ0i5cR6iFgwhopzBJqkDv8/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/118Su4EAYeSW6fCxJA9L1q2eu0y7O1L0p/view?usp=sharing

I see this in VLC:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VF2zJsRPMDfA6YKgEUOJz8AZDTtsw-oC/view?usp=sharing

I posted this thread in the Avidemux forum first, but the dev analyzed the original file and found that it has issues.
So it could be some problem with OBS?
Can anyone check this?

phaolo

Can't anyone check the OBS file?
That dev said that "SEI (supplemental enhancement information) units are absent" from it and that "non-IDR recovery frames are marked as IDR at the NAL layer, profoundly confusing decoders".
Why does OBS do that? This seems common to all my recordings :\

phaolo

This probably needs to be addressed to a dev, either in the Development forum, or in a bug report.
Thank you, but do I need to create another identical thread in the dev forum or can a mod move this?

I've posted it on Mantis in the meantime.
EDIT: great, it was deleted without any explanation.. -_-

Last edited:

Fenrir

Forum Admin
The Mantis is reserved for verified and repeatable bugs with replication steps, it is not for people to submit support requests to when someone on the forums doesn't know the answer. I commented on the case (which should have sent you an email response) and then deleted it, as I have been making efforts to keep the Mantis clear of support issues. I realize now that not everyone will have email notifications set, so I'll be changing the process going forward. Apologies for the confusion.

phaolo

The Mantis is reserved for verified and repeatable bugs with replication steps, it is not for people to submit support requests to when someone on the forums doesn't know the answer. I commented on the case (which should have sent you an email response) and then deleted it, as I have been making efforts to keep the Mantis clear of support issues. I realize now that not everyone will have email notifications set, so I'll be changing the process going forward. Apologies for the confusion.
Ok, I see but.. this is more a bug report than a support request.
And that error seems to happen with every video I record.

Anyway, in the meantime I've posted it in the dev forum as suggested.

Last edited:

Narcogen

My apologies then, I gave bad advice.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Ok, I see but.. this is more a bug report than a support request.
And that error seems to happen with every video I record.

Anyway, in the meantime I've posted it in the dev forum as suggested.

One person having the issue is not a verified bug. I understand you're just looking for help, and you're getting some bad advice on what to do with it. This issue has visibility now, but I can't say how long it will take before someone can take a closer look.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
In the meantime, can you please attach an OBS log from a session where a video has this issue?

Make a test recording, then upload the current log file from Help -> Log Files -> Upload Current Log and link it here.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Thanks! So the first thing that jumps out is that you changed advanced video settings, can you explain why you changed these:

17:45:27.844: format: I444
17:45:27.844: YUV mode: 709/Full

And can you set them back to default (NV12, 601/Partial) just to test? It's unlikely they're related to the issue, but best to eliminate as many factors as possible.

phaolo

The colors in my first recordings always looked smeared and faint.
I thought it was a bitrate problem, until I tried changing the color settings: the quality drastically improved even at CRF22! (I would have tried I422 to reduce the size, but it's missing from the list)

Tomorrow I'll try those default configs and I'll let you know.

phaolo

can you set them back to default (NV12, 601/Partial) just to test?
Ok, the problem doesn't seem to manifest after setting the colors to default.
I don't know how to check those SEI and NAL units, however, so I'll share the second (cut) test file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YgEaPm08zQrEKJ8DBqu2mJEIpWvk--4z/view?usp=sharing

Here is the log btw (it's the Last, because I closed OBS by mistake lol):
https://obsproject.com/logs/jqhR56lc4snyZCNT

So, it's an error related to how OBS handles the advanced color.
I guess it was never reported because nobody else uses it -_-

Last edited:

Fenrir

Forum Admin
This is not a confirmed bug, no. I'd recommend sticking to NV12 for now until someone has time to investigate if this is expected results or not.

Rodney

Forum Moderator
This is not an issue with OBS itself, but rather with the x264 encoder or ffmpeg (you can reproduce it by getting an older version of ffmpeg and x264). OBS currently uses an older version due to compatability issues with newer ones. We wanted to update x264 and ffmpeg in the future and that should fix it.

Last edited:

phaolo

This is not an issue with OBS itself, but rather with the x264 encoder or ffmpeg (you can reproduce it by getting an older version of ffmpeg and x264). OBS currently uses an older version due to compatability issues with newer ones. We wanted to update x264 and ffmpeg in the future and that should fix it.
Thank you for the explanation.
I hope you'll manage to update them not too far away in the future tho.

P.s: weird, I can't select text while editing a post in this forum.
EDIT: ah no, the selection has a color very similar to the background, in that mode .

Last edited: