Question / Help Custom stream option and VLC under Windows - fixed, with instruction!

Testertime

Hey everyone :) I had searched a lot on Google about this, but somehow everything has failed or wasn't helpful and I hope that you can please help me.

I would like to stream with Open Broadcaster Software to an IP address (no Twitch or anything else, the stream should stay private). I have seen your topic about Nginx and it's RTSP module, but I'm on Windows and I was too stupid for your Linux only instruction (at least I'm honest, I'm sadly not a server guy :P). So I thought about VLC media player because I heard it's able to receive such streams, but how can I do it exactly? I have tried it so many times too with my own IP address, a port at the end (for example ":8955"), and I had opened the port, but it was always not successful. Has anyone experience with that or the knowledge how to set it up correctly or is willing to test it? Is it even possible? It would be so awesome if it would work, Teamviewer is really no alternative here.

Thanks so much in advance!

Testertime

If anyone has any helpful information, please let me know. I'm already finding my own topic on Google :P Thank you!

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
  • OBS produces an RTMP stream, not RTSP.
  • RTMP needs a server that delivers the stream to further viewers.
  • Nginx is also available for Windows
  • you will need some kind of rtmp server to watch an OBS stream in VLC

Testertime

Thank you for your reply! So that means that I could test myself to death with VLC alone. Good to know, I will try it with Nginx and Google search again. Thanks for your help.

Testertime

Hey again! Luckily I had success this time. I will cover the steps which I did to make it work, the steps on Linux are different than in Windows. That's what you need to do when you are on Windows:

1. Download the Nginx zip archive from http://nginx-win.ecsds.eu/ (direct link: http://nginx-win.ecsds.eu/download/nginx 1.7.3.1 RedKnight.zip)

2. Download the vcredist files if you haven't installed them, and if you care, download the other files too. But they aren't needed.

3. Download the RTMP module (as mentioned in the Linux guide): https://github.com/arut/nginx-rtmp-module/archive/master.zip

4. Extract the Nginx archive somewhere, and extract the RTMP module zip file into the same folder. It should look like this: http://abload.de/img/2014-07-02_002230pustu.jpg

5. Go to the "conf" folder and duplicate the file called nginx-org.conf and rename the copy to nginx.conf. Otherwise it will say later something like this: nginx: [emerg] CreateFile() "C:\nginx 1.7.3.1 RedKnight/conf/nginx.conf" failed
(2: FormatMessage() error:(15100))

6. Open nginx.conf in Notepad++. Go to https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/how-to-set-up-your-own-private-rtmp-server-using-nginx.50/ and copy the text from step 3 and paste it at the end of the file. Save it of course :P It looks like this: http://abload.de/img/2014-07-02_0050538oje5.jpg

7. Go to your router menu and open the port 1935, protocol TCP. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to receive the traffic.

8. Open a command prompt window (cmd.exe) and navigate to your folder where you have extracted Nginx. Since I don't know your path, here is an example: cd C:\MyNginxServer

9. Start the server by entering this: start nginx
Windows Firewall will very probably popup, allow it. If you would like to quit the server later, enter this: nginx -s quit
More info here: http://nginx.org/en/docs/windows.html

10. You can follow step 4 at the Linux guide: https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/how-to-set-up-your-own-private-rtmp-server-using-nginx.50/

11. Open VLC Media player when your partner is ready and streaming to your IP address. Click on "Media" and "Open Networkstream". The address which you will need to enter will look something like this: rtmp://192.168.2.103/live/test

192.168.2.103 is my personal local address, yours is very probably different. Don't give your partner the local address, because it wouldn't work. If you don't know how to find out your IP, there are many websites out there willing to show you your IP address, just google it.

12. If everything goes well, it will work! :) From my experience it's possible that VLC media player is maybe a little goatish, restart it if it's the case. I wish you good luck and have fun!

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Awesome report! Thanks a lot for the detailed description and further links :)

By the way, I noticed some people had problems with the ecsds nginx.conf. For people that want to skip step 3 to 5, I think, you could check my compiled versions. You can get them at http://rtmp.jack0r.com/
The latest builds have a working nginx.conf with one application ready to go, web server is set up and stats file ready!

**shameless advertisement** And if you want to use your nginx for more stuff in the future, maybe one of my tutorials can help too:
http://www.helping-squad.com/server/ **shameless advertisement**

Testertime

Thanks :) I will download one of your packages, maybe I'm *somehow* affected in the future. And I would call it only shameless advertisement if it actually isn't useful and would cost money.

HappyRusty

I get "failed to connect to server" in OBS. I think something is wrong with my ports or I chose the wrong IP.
I have a TP-Link router. I opened the port like you said, and i told me to enter the Server Ip adress. So I entered my local ip adress, which is 192.168.0.103. And I assume that that is the ip adress you should enter in OBS too? "rtmp://192.168.0.103/live? Or what am I doing wrong here?

HappyRusty

Alright, I should try to be more specific.
This is how it looks when I'm opening ports in my router:
porting.png

And these are my LAN IP's:
PC (streaming from): 192.168.0.104
Laptop (streaming to): 192.168.0.103

If I'm understanding this right.. I need to fill in "1935" under "Service Port:", and my PC's IP under "IP Address:", and in obs type "rtpm://192.168.0.103/live"
Is that right? Because that doesn't work. I get an error in OBS saying "Failed to connect to server".
I've followed every other step carefully.

GillyMoMo

Alright, I should try to be more specific.
This is how it looks when I'm opening ports in my router:
porting.png

And these are my LAN IP's:
PC (streaming from): 192.168.0.104
Laptop (streaming to): 192.168.0.103

If I'm understanding this right.. I need to fill in "1935" under "Service Port:", and my PC's IP under "IP Address:", and in obs type "rtpm://192.168.0.103/live"
Is that right? Because that doesn't work. I get an error in OBS saying "Failed to connect to server".
I've followed every other step carefully.

Is nginx running on your laptop? Also you don't need to place :1935 as you are using rtmp in the FMS URL.

What you should be streaming to is rtmp://192.168.0.103/live and in the stream key you can just put anything you want there. Make sure your application that you streaming to has the rtmp address in which it is going to relay to as well.

HappyRusty

Is nginx running on your laptop? Also you don't need to place :1935 as you are using rtmp in the FMS URL.

What you should be streaming to is rtmp://192.168.0.103/live and in the stream key you can just put anything you want there. Make sure your application that you streaming to has the rtmp address in which it is going to relay to as well.

Is nginx running? I think so. I mean nothing really happens when i type "start nginx". No errors anyway. It's like a window pops up, then disappears.. I get an error however if i try typing "nginx -s quit".

What do you mean by "also you don't need to place : 1935 as you are using rtmp in the FMS URL."? I didn't say I wrote 1935 anywhere else than in the port settings in my router? *confused*

dping

Is nginx running? I think so. I mean nothing really happens when i type "start nginx". No errors anyway. It's like a window pops up, then disappears.. I get an error however if i try typing "nginx -s quit".

What do you mean by "also you don't need to place : 1935 as you are using rtmp in the FMS URL."? I didn't say I wrote 1935 anywhere else than in the port settings in my router? *confused*
Its rtmp not rtpm.

rtmp://192.168.0.103/live

also, did you fill out the stream key? you at least need to fill in that field from my memory. then the name of the rtmp in the config file needs to reflect the name of that key.

GillyMoMo

You are going from PC to PC no need to mess with your router at all.

dping

But the instructions said "open port 1935". There's no point in streaming on my main pc, and play it in vlc on my main pc. I wanna play it back on my laptop.
The only reason to open a port is if you are viewing it on a PC outside your network (on the internet).

HappyRusty

Damn man, it still ain't working! Did i miss something in the config file?
It looks like this:
}
rtmp {
server {
listen 1935;
chunk_size 4096;

application live {
live on;
record off;
}
}
}

Is there something I'm missing? My laptops IP is 192.168.0.103 so i put in rtmp://192.168.0.103/live on my main PC. But i get an error saying "The connection timed out. Try a different server, or check that the connection is not being blocked by a firewall or other security software (10060)". But i made sure to allow it through the firewall when i first started nginx.

GillyMoMo

Did you put a stream key in? You can use anything for a key. Then you need to add a push directive to where you want that stream to go. Like this

}
rtmp {
server {
listen 1935;
chunk_size 4096;

application live {
live on;
record off;
push rtmp://theaddress.that.youneedto.push.to
}
}
}
It looks like this:
}
rtmp {
server {
listen 1935;
chunk_size 4096;

application live {
live on;
record off;
}
}
}

Is there something I'm missing? My laptops IP is 192.168.0.103 so i put in rtmp://192.168.0.103/live on my main PC. But i get an error saying "The connection timed out. Try a different server, or check that the connection is not being blocked by a firewall or other security software (10060)". But i made sure to allow it through the firewall when i first started nginx.

x52_BETA

It looks like this:
}
rtmp {
server {
listen 1935;
chunk_size 4096;

application live {
live on;
record off;
}
}
}

I'm having same problem still. Did you ever get this to work correctly?

x52_BETA

Awesome report! Thanks a lot for the detailed description and further links :)

By the way, I noticed some people had problems with the ecsds nginx.conf. For people that want to skip step 3 to 5, I think, you could check my compiled versions. You can get them at http://rtmp.jack0r.com/
The latest builds have a working nginx.conf with one application ready to go, web server is set up and stats file ready!

**shameless advertisement** And if you want to use your nginx for more stuff in the future, maybe one of my tutorials can help too:
http://www.helping-squad.com/server/ **shameless advertisement**
Thank You!! your compiled version fixed what I was needing.