Question / Help CS:GO + OBS Using not full power of CPU

kozeetje

Hi,

Since I was monitoring my cs:go & task manager I saw it uses max 3.9ghz while it should use 4.64ghz
After I use a unpark tool it will set back to 4.64ghz but as soon I play 2mins cs:go, it puts itself at 3.9ghz...

Somebody knows why or has a fix?

sm3l2s.jpg

2cfxw75.jpg

kozeetje

Do you actually have a problem with OBS? Because this alone is not an OBS problem.
Yes this only happens when OBS is used. @Osiris

edit: found this in old thread -> My CPU on the other hand, Idles around 32ºc. When I start the torture test, it slowly rises to around 52ºc. When it hits 52ºc, my CPU speed drops from 3.92GHz to around 1.38 GHz. While the CPU drops, the temperature drops from 52ºc to 47ºc.

So how do I fix that it stays 4.64ghz? Bios setting?

Last edited:

H4ndy

Forum Moderator
Your CPU has a base clock of 4 GHz (probably 3.9 or something).
The boost clock of 4.4 GHz will only be sustained if your CPU has enough room temperature wise.
This is only for Tcore (e.g. using CoreTemp) temperatures, not Tcase, which can be lower.

This problem is only caused by OBS because it stresses your CPU alot.
If you only have a boxed cooler it is very unlikely your CPU can sustain it's boost clock,
this requires a powerful aftermarket cooler.

kozeetje

Your CPU has a base clock of 4 GHz (probably 3.9 or something).
The boost clock of 4.4 GHz will only be sustained if your CPU has enough room temperature wise.
This is only for Tcore (e.g. using CoreTemp) temperatures, not Tcase, which can be lower.

This problem is only caused by OBS because it stresses your CPU alot.
If you only have a boxed cooler it is very unlikely your CPU can sustain it's boost clock,
this requires a powerful aftermarket cooler.
I have aftermarket watercooling + the boost is set to 4.7ghz in bios. I cant believe the cpu already goes to 3.92 at temps of 50°

D2ultima

Run HWiNFO64 in sensors only mode and check for "thermal throttling".

Alternately, install Intel XTU and add the sensors at the bottom for "current limit throttling", "power limit throttling" and "temperature throttling", and add them to the graph as well.

However, OBS does not kill processing speed. If you need more help after figuring out what the problem is, you should use a different forum.

kozeetje

Run HWiNFO64 in sensors only mode and check for "thermal throttling".

Alternately, install Intel XTU and add the sensors at the bottom for "current limit throttling", "power limit throttling" and "temperature throttling", and add them to the graph as well.

However, OBS does not kill processing speed. If you need more help after figuring out what the problem is, you should use a different forum.
No thermal throttling in hwinfo64

2gxmn94.jpg

But I repeat, its only with streaming on it goes to 3.92ghz
without OBS and only CS:GO it stays at 4.32

D2ultima

Try stress tests (prime95, AIDA64, XTU stress, XTU bench, etc) and see if your CPU keeps max speed. If it does not, then the problem lies elsewhere on your PC. If *ONLY* OBS causes issues, then we can try to help.

kozeetje

Try stress tests (prime95, AIDA64, XTU stress, XTU bench, etc) and see if your CPU keeps max speed. If it does not, then the problem lies elsewhere on your PC. If *ONLY* OBS causes issues, then we can try to help.
I've tried 5-6 games (cs:go, lol,dota,hearthstone,) they all stay at 4.32GHZ, also prime95 was going always to the max of 4.32ghz... As soon I start streaming with obs and I play for some minutes cs:go it drops from 4.32 to 3.92ghz...

Really dont have a clue whats causing this issue.

edit: when using quicksync it sometimes drop to 3.92 but only for like 2 secs and goes back to 4.32

x264 when hitting around 58° it drops to 3.92

D2ultima

I've tried 5-6 games (cs:go, lol,dota,hearthstone,) they all stay at 4.32GHZ, also prime95 was going always to the max of 4.32ghz... As soon I start streaming with obs and I play for some minutes cs:go it drops from 4.32 to 3.92ghz...

Really dont have a clue whats causing this issue.

edit: when using quicksync it sometimes drop to 3.92 but only for like 2 secs and goes back to 4.32

x264 when hitting around 58° it drops to 3.92
Except it's supposed to be at 4.7GHz according to your screenshots. I suggest you look elsewhere for the fix. OBS might be triggering the problem, but OBS isn't the cause.

alpinlol

well thermal throttling should be the case if i look at your given temps and the hopefully decent liquid cooling

but usually the cpu doesnt go into turbo state as long as it doesnt have to thats what makes intel so efficient while still performing at that level.

besides your cpu not boosting to the full speed do you have trouble streaming?

as a test since obs default is set higher try using the custom 264 command threads=8

kozeetje

well thermal throttling should be the case if i look at your given temps and the hopefully decent liquid cooling

but usually the cpu doesnt go into turbo state as long as it doesnt have to thats what makes intel so efficient while still performing at that level.

besides your cpu not boosting to the full speed do you have trouble streaming?

as a test since obs default is set higher try using the custom 264 command threads=8
I cleaned my computer with following results:

Windows temp before: 32-34
Windows temp after: 28-30
Gaming + steaming: before 60-65
Gaming + streaming= after 54-57

Now its stays stable at the max ghz. But I still have the screen tearing as soon as I start streaming+gaming