Create a stream workflow using Streamyard + OBS

hugo castro

Hey guys, is there a way that I can use OBS as a RTMP server input, so on Streamyard, I can choose to add that custom RTMP input and broadcast directly to OBS, and use that content as a Media Source inside a Scene?
Please check the attached file for an easier understanding of our intentions ;)

If not, what would be your suggestions or workarounds?

In the past, I used Skype NDI for guests, but that was such a complex workflow, that I'm trying to simplify it.

Our previous workflow was:

- Request guests to have a skype account
- Create group calls and invite all of them
- Audio was bad with 4 guests or more (as Skype only provide a small bitrate for audio, I believe is 128Kbps, shared between participators, and is a shared output)
- Add them as NDI sources individually (go to transform - bounding box alignment - scale to inner bounds, to prevent video size from changing size, when network speed changed from guests).
- Mute all those sources and add a new NDI audio only source, where I would use some gain, eq, and compression, to level all the same.
- We had multiple scenes with various guests combination placements, so I had to have a scene for each of the NDI source, with scenes inside scenes, so I could re-scaled them without affecting other scenes.
Took me always an hour to set up, since we had multiple shows during the day, and guests and media, positions where always changing (even using placeholders)

Thanks

Attachments

• Streamyard.pdf
    19 KB · Views: 314

Avidio

Hi - quick question about your Skype experience. I was trying to pull in Skype NDI and faced severe delay when using each of the individual audio streams. If I pull the NDI audio source only, will that go away and work OK? Thank you!

hugo castro

Hi - quick question about your Skype experience. I was trying to pull in Skype NDI and faced severe delay when using each of the individual audio streams. If I pull the NDI audio source only, will that go away and work OK? Thank you!
Hi Avidio, the audio comes mixed into one stereo channel, on latency I always go for the low latency setting and I use only one audio and mute the rest, otherwise you will get echos from the bandwith change, or I just use the audio only, but always on low latency as well. They all have to match on latency. Try that and let me know

Michael_mk2

- Add them as NDI sources individually (go to transform - bounding box alignment - scale to inner bounds, to prevent video size from changing size, when network speed changed from guests).
YES !! i searched for days to find the trick with "inner bounds" !! improtant

- Mute all those sources and add a new NDI audio only source, where I would use some gain, eq, and compression, to level all the same.
YES - !! i did my 1st multichat Test in skype yesterday. All 4 Guests come 4 times in 4 Audioinputs ... hehe
I will check the NDI audio only. Does that means i can set every guest a own input ?
You will rise my level at streaming if this works TY

Avidio

Hello - just to be clear, you all are using the NDI video sources for the participants, then muting the corresponding audio for the video sources, then adding the NDI Audio Source. In my NDI sources, I see all the participants, plus one source called Skype - Active Speaker. I select that Skype-Active Speaker as my audio only source and use that for all audio out from Skype meeting. Is that correct set up? Thank you so much....

Luisera1010

Hey guys, is there a way that I can use OBS as a RTMP server input, so on Streamyard, I can choose to add that custom RTMP input and broadcast directly to OBS, and use that content as a Media Source inside a Scene?
Please check the attached file for an easier understanding of our intentions ;)

If not, what would be your suggestions or workarounds?

In the past, I used Skype NDI for guests, but that was such a complex workflow, that I'm trying to simplify it.

Our previous workflow was:

- Request guests to have a skype account
- Create group calls and invite all of them
- Audio was bad with 4 guests or more (as Skype only provide a small bitrate for audio, I believe is 128Kbps, shared between participators, and is a shared output)
- We had multiple scenes with various guests combination placements, so I had to have a scene for each of the NDI source, with scenes inside scenes, so I could re-scaled them without affecting other scenes.
Took me always an hour to set up, since we had multiple shows during the day, and guests and media, positions where always changing (even using placeholders)

Thanks
Hey!!
Which audio option worked better for you?
1) only one audio and mute the rest (this option doesnt give a desync for the other hosts muted?)
2) Skype-Active Speaker as my audio only source

Thanks!

hugo castro

Hey guys, been out for a while, yes you can also use the Skype-active speaker, as long as you're only use one source of audio from that connection you should be fine.

mikek

@hugo castro , did you figure out an answer to your original question?
I'm just diving into OBS, but it looks like your configuration is similar to what I'm attempting to build. For my use case, I need to pipe in six participants and a host. The host can endure a bit of tech setup, but the other six participants need it to be as easy as possible to join.

I've done a video test with Skype using the NDI feeds, it looks promising, but I haven't even looked at the audio. I was aware that the way Skype handles audio in the NDI feed is a little goofy, but if it splits the audio bandwidth, this feels really problematic.

Were you able to get StreamYard to do what you wanted? Have you tried Vimeo's Livestream Studio?
Thanks!

hugo castro

@hugo castro , did you figure out an answer to your original question?
I'm just diving into OBS, but it looks like your configuration is similar to what I'm attempting to build. For my use case, I need to pipe in six participants and a host. The host can endure a bit of tech setup, but the other six participants need it to be as easy as possible to join.

I've done a video test with Skype using the NDI feeds, it looks promising, but I haven't even looked at the audio. I was aware that the way Skype handles audio in the NDI feed is a little goofy, but if it splits the audio bandwidth, this feels really problematic.

Were you able to get StreamYard to do what you wanted? Have you tried Vimeo's Livestream Studio?
Thanks!
Hey Mikek, we end up building our own platform, but yes I had problems when running 5-6 participants (robotic voice) under the same Skype group call, not only in audio, but also with the video auto-resize due to bandwidth fluctuation from the guests, this is something you need to have in consideration as well.

We are not using it right now, and as much as I love OBS, streamyard looks like the best affordable solution for what you want to do, specially managing guests. Don't really know if Skype team fix it, or added more audio bandwidth. Don't forget to use only one audio source to prevent echoes.