Crashes/Hard Freeze due to NVIDIA/OBS

DrNjitram

For a little while now i have had some hard freezes when using OBS. This usually lead to having to do a hard reset.

This could happen when I first would launch OBS, or when switching around some settings, launching a game, or just randomly after a few minutes.
These would be accompanied with cryptic NVidia error messages (each freeze has one, all show the same info (aka none)):
1670107501237.png

I have rolled back my drivers and updated them, as well as reinstalled obs.
I thought it could be the complex and messy scene i used, but even with a minimalistic scene (game capture + chat) froze after a little while.

In general it has been inconsistent to figure out exactly what freezes my system; sometimes it would freee immediately but unfreeze, and sometime i could stream for 3 hours, multiple game, but when closing down the 2nd game it would freeze (so not open the game, but close).

1st log file is crash during gaming
2nd is when doing nothing with regards to obs

Example log file

Last edited:

DrNjitram

After some trial and error the culprit seems to be Game Capture.
After removing all instances and not using it in my scenes i have not had issues anymore. unsure how/why it is causing it, but it most likely is. Still would like to find the cause, but we ahve a lead at least.