Question / Help CPU clock drops randomly while I stream

Handfoot

http://imgur.com/VfsOEZO,DIz4csC (first picture when everything is normal, second picture is when the clock drop is happening)

As the title says, my CPU clock drops randomly to pretty low clocks varying from 1.3 to ~2 ghz about once every two minutes. This has happened with every OBS version I've used. Here are my specs:

CPU: AMD 8350 @ 4.0ghz

GPU: MSI GTX 770 @ stock clocks

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM (DDR3, 1600 mhz)

Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme 4 (with BIOS update for AMD 8350 compatibility)

Drive: 120 GB Samsung 4 Series SSD

Drive: 1TB Seagate HDD

PSU: XFX Core Edition PRO550W

Case: Antec 900

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
This sounds like it might be a heat issue with the CPU throttling its speed to manage temperatures. Can you reproduce the behavior with a program like Prime95? Very unlikely to be caused by OBS itself, more likely to be caused at least in part by the CPU load x264 generates during the encoding process.

Handfoot

As far as I'm aware I'm not having major heat problems (highest I've ever seen is 55c) but when I go to sleep tonight I'll run prime 95. Is there any way I can track my lowest clock during testing? Also, this happens ONLY when I stream.

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
I believe programs like HWMon and CoreTemp will both show highest and lowest temperatures. It shouldn't take long to observe with Prime95 running though, as that will max things out immediately.

Handfoot

I was just playing Diablo 3 and my average temp. was ~65 c and my max was 70 c. I guess those temps are too high?

EDIT: In prime 95, my clock speeds do drop frequently, as if I'm streaming. But, I get the same temperatures in Diablo 3 / other games compared to prime 95, and I do not get these drops if I am not streaming / stress testing. So what's the deal? Can't be a heat issue right?

Last edited:

Handfoot

Actually just got a few drops in Diablo 3 without streaming. Probably is my temperature then. What cooler and thermal paste would you recommend?