Question / Help Corrupted .Mp4 file, OBS crashed before finishing file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korpi

Hi there!

As the title says, i was capturing a long clip (4,4gb) when suddenly OBS crashed, when i was at desktop during gameplay. OBS didnt "render" or finish that file and now i have corrupted .mp4 file with long footage of video which i can't repair, any help from here?

i investigated log files and i think i found correct spot when the crash happen, i hope this helps at all:
Code:
Open Broadcaster Software v0.472b - 32bit (´・ω・`)
-------------------------------
CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
CPU Speed: 3400MHz
Physical Memory:  4095MB Total, 3938MB Free
stepping id: 9, model 10, family 6, type 0, extmodel 1, extfamily 0, HTT 1, logical cores 4, total cores 4
monitor 1: pos={0, 0}, size={1920, 1080}
Windows Version: 6.1 Build 7601 S
Aero is Enabled
------------------------------------------
Adapter 1
  Video Adapter: ASUS HD7850 Series
  Video Adapter Dedicated Video Memory: 2123468800
  Video Adapter Shared System Memory: 3967381504
Adapter 2
  Video Adapter: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
  Video Adapter Dedicated Video Memory: 67108864
  Video Adapter Shared System Memory: 1711276032
=====Stream Start=====================================================================
  Multithreaded optimizations: On
  Base resolution: 1920x1080
  Output resolution: 1920x1080
Loading up D3D10...
Playback device Default
Using desktop audio input: Kaiuttimet (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Using auxilary audio input: FrontMic (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Audio Encoding: AAC
    bitrate: 128
Using graphics capture
x264: using cpu capabilities: MMX2 SSE2Fast SSSE3 FastShuffle SSE4.2 AVX
x264: profile High, level 4.0
Video Encoding: x264
    fps: 30
    width: 1920, height: 1080
    preset: veryfast
    CBR: no
    CFR: no
    max bitrate: 10000
    buffer size: 10000
    quality: 8
SharedTexCapture hooked
if there's anything more i can provide, to help this out, please ask.

NoSFeRaTU

In short, you can't.

MP4 files needs finalization after complete of encoding for placing moov atom. The moov atom, also referred to as the movie atom, defines the timescale, duration, display characteristics of the movie, as well as subatoms containing information for each track in the movie. Without that atom mp4 file is complete garbage.

There are exists few methods for automatic recovering of mp4(for example this), but all of them works by comparing working file from same software/device and trying to interpret corrupted file with technical information from working file. But it will not work for you, because OBS is not using constant framerates, bitrate and so on.

To prevent that situation occurs in future, just use flv and after completing use ffmpeg with copy key for converting container from flv to mp4 without reencoding and loss of quality (ffmpeg.exe -i %input filename% -c copy -f mp4 %output filename%).

Korpi

NoSFeRaTU said:
In short, you can't.

MP4 files needs finalization after complete of encoding for placing moov atom. The moov atom, also referred to as the movie atom, defines the timescale, duration, display characteristics of the movie, as well as subatoms containing information for each track in the movie. Without that atom mp4 file is complete garbage.

There are exists few methods for automatic recovering of mp4(for example this), but all of them works by comparing working file from same software/device and trying to interpret corrupted file with technical information from working file. But it will not work for you, because OBS is not using constant framerates, bitrate and so on.

To prevent that situation occurs in future, just use flv and after completing use ffmpeg with copy key for converting container from flv to mp4 without reencoding and loss of quality (ffmpeg.exe -i %input filename% -c copy -f mp4 %output filename%).

Thank you for your response! i need to try that flv-trick.

Jim said:
do you happen to have the crash log?

i think i found it. i hope it helps developing the program:
Code:
OBS has encountered an unhandled exception and has terminated. If you are able to
reproduce this crash, please submit this crash report on the forums at
http://www.obsproject.com/ - include the contents of this crash log and the
minidump .dmp file (if available) as well as your regular OBS log files and
a description of what you were doing at the time of the crash.

This crash appears to have occured in the 'c:\windows\system32\atidxx32.dll' module.

**** UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: c0000005
Fault address: 5FC93D8A (c:\windows\system32\atidxx32.dll)
OBS version: Open Broadcaster Software v0.472b
Windows version: 6.1 (Build 7601) Service Pack 1

Crashing thread stack trace:
Stack    EIP      Arg0     Arg1     Arg2     Arg3     Address
14C8E868 5FC93D8A 06053F00 02B08EBC 00000414 045E47A0 atidxx32.dll!0x5fc93d8a
14C8E878 5F951874 06049000 00000500 00000000 02B00000 atidxx32.dll!0x5f951874
14C8E8A4 5F950ADA 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 atidxx32.dll!0x5f950ada

A minidump was saved to C:\Users\Iiro\AppData\Roaming\OBS\crashDumps\OBSCrashDump2013-02-28_1.dmp.
Please include this file when posting a crash report.

List of loaded modules:
Base Address      Module

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Just as a side note, I greatly optimized the compilation speed in the latest test version. It's pretty much near-instant now in comparison to what it used to be. Sorry about that compilation time thing, was really just poorly designed, I fixed the code and now it does the calculation differently and doesn't have to do any at the end of the stream anymore.

Korpi

Jim said:
Just as a side note, I greatly optimized the compilation speed in the latest test version. It's pretty much near-instant now in comparison to what it used to be. Sorry about that compilation time thing, was really just poorly designed, I fixed the code and now it does the calculation differently and doesn't have to do any at the end of the stream anymore.
Im very happy to hear that! i will surely continue using your program in future.

Khanthiilas

well i just lost 5 30 minute episodes for my channel, feels pretty rough i have the file but it didnt finalise so i cant play it, and every program i find on the net is a con or a vessel for crapware/malware
any suggestions is there really no way to repair the file?

Status
Not open for further replies.