Question / Help Configuration for comfort streaming

Dragon

Hi guys, I need help in configuring of OBS for streaming on the following PC conf:
- CPU Intel E8400 3GHz
- RAM: DDR2 4GB
- Video Radeon 4850

I understand, that this conf is too weak for streaming modern games even on low settings, but I gonna stream DOS games like XCOM, Daggerfall etc. using DOSBox in windowed mode (it isn't higher than 640x480) till CPU upgrade.

I made test stream yesterday, but it lagged a lot. I think the problem is with my stream settings:
- Video codec quality 8;
- CPU Preset: Medium
- Max bitrate: 1000
- Buffer size: 2000
- Audio codec: AAC
- Audio bitrate: 128

My internet upload is 5Mb.

Can you suggest anything?

Warchamp7

Forum Admin
- Max bitrate: 1000
- Buffer size: 2000

There's one of your issues most likely. Your buffer should generally never be higher than your bitrate. Try setting both to 1000 and trying that.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Why did you change the x264 preset without understanding what it does? Put it back to veryfast.

Dragon

Warchamp7 said:
There's one of your issues most likely. Your buffer should generally never be higher than your bitrate. Try setting both to 1000 and trying that.
Really? I thought that bitrate must not be higher than buffer. Anyway I'll try as you suggested.

R1CH said:
Why did you change the x264 preset without understanding what it does? Put it back to veryfast.
Where can I read about this setting in details in order to understand how it influences video quality in general? Thank you.

D2ultima

The slower you go, the more strain on your CPU. You have a dual core. You can't give much to the stream at all; I'd suggest superfast or ultrafast for x264 preset quality. Your bitrate can be higher than your buffer. I keep them equal, some people prefer half buffer:bitrate ratio, and others prefer double buffer:bitrate ratio. It's up to you. Don't go veryfast or slower until you get a quadcore.

Your resolution is a factor too. 720p 30fps streams take more CPU than 360p 30fps streams. I suggest doing 360p or 480p (stretching it) when streaming, and 25-30fps. Put your bitrate to about 1200 to 2000 if you're streaming anything 3D-modelled for good 480p at the fastest possible setting to get good, fluid streams without taxing your CPU overmuch.

As if you didn't guess from the above paragraph, your streamed FPS has an impact on CPU usage. 60fps takes more than 30fps etc. 25fps streams look just fine. 30fps if you feel like it. Look at your CPU usage while streaming to see what you can cut back on to get better CPU management. Higher bitrates will not tax your CPU more, but will let you get more quality at a faster CPU preset. Don't be sad if you can only manage 360p 30fps with your CPU, just crank up the bitrate and make it the best quality 360p stream you can. Not like twitch's windows are higher than 360p in size anyway.

Also, in general otherwise, I really don't recommend streaming with that rig unless you're doing emulators or whatever, though you seem to already know this.

Dragon

2 D2ultima, thanks for a great answer, I caught almost the whole idea on what settings are preferable for streaming. I thought the faster preset for x264 you have the more CPU resources are consumed... but it is vice versa.
Anyway, I have one last question on this topic: when you say 720p or 360p, even 1080p... what parameter stands for this in OBS? Resolution downscale?

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
I'm still curious why you changed the preset. It was moved to the advanced options page precisely because people kept changing it without understanding it and causing these kinds of problems. Did you read a guide somewhere?

360p, 480p, etc refers to the resolution (vertical pixels) eg 1280x720 is 720p.

Dragon

Well, I've done as Warchamp7 and D2ultima said (bitrate and buffer were set to 2000, quality to 6 and x264 to superfast) - no freezes, good looking picture... everything is great, but sound. It is asynchronized and appears earlier than its video fragment. I set "Use Video/Audio Sync Fix" in Advance tab, but didn't check yet.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
The latest daily build has fixed most syncing issues, hopefully most people won't need to use that option in the future.

D2ultima

Dragon said:
2 D2ultima, thanks for a great answer, I caught almost the whole idea on what settings are preferable for streaming. I thought the faster preset for x264 you have the more CPU resources are consumed... but it is vice versa.
Anyway, I have one last question on this topic: when you say 720p or 360p, even 1080p... what parameter stands for this in OBS? Resolution downscale?

Yes, the resolution downscale is your outputted resolution.

Dragon

Thank you. There's no async between sound and video anymore. I am (and I'm sure not only me) is happy :) Keep it up.