Chromebook supported

karlthepagan

I just saw that the Pixelbook Go 2019 product line uses 8th Generation Intel i5/i7 CPUs. I have been using 8th Gen Intels for OBS on Windows for about a year and their performance is acceptable for compositing graphics and 2 Camlink capture devices.

I would recommending anyone searching for Chromebook OBS support to investigate current support of Linux mode before purchasing a device.

msittig

I'm on an Acer Spin 13 Chromebook, i5 8GB RAM, with Linux. I successfully installed obs-studio using the instructions for Debian (apt) but I'm still working on getting the hardware to interface with the program. I will edit this post if I am successful.

Niek

It's a simple as sudo apt update && sudo apt install ffmpeg obs-studio, but the OBS version in Debian is kinda old. Not to mention that video encoding is not exactly what Chromebooks are built for ;)

rjake2204

I'm not sure what our limitations are... there are many streaming apps that work on the google chrome internet browser. For example
( https://golightstream.com/ and https://restream.io/ ) I do understand that obs has many advanced features but an entry level
*lite version* would work as well. There is also an OBS Stream labs app you can use from play store. \\ There is also external GPUs

Razer Core X Chroma - Thunderbolt™ 3 Connection
you have to pay for lightstream it is not a free streaming service no more.

CJplays

OBS is not designed to be run on Chromebook hardware, so this will not happen.
actullaky it is possible i have a sumsung chromebook v4 with touch screen and if you turn on the linux beta feature install go to the terminal enter a few i forgot them btw and boom go to the lanucher go to linux apps and you should see an app that says OBS if you did it correctly.

Well, Chromebook has a feature called "Linux" which opens an app called "Terminal" which you can enter a code to install an app into hope I helped bye!

NorthernLigthsx

i have OBS installed on my chromebook via Linux. However the screen / window capture does not work on it properly. Window capture just goes to a black screen and then screen capture captures on the OBS screen and nothing else. Very frustrating. Not sure if this is something that can be fixed or wither im better looking at a different service to OBS

Neuromastergg

ich habe mir seit neusten ein chromebook zugelegt da mein alter Laptop (windows) Kaput gegangen ist und jetzt muss ich feststellen das es nicht mit ChromeOS Kompatibel ist. ich denke das schnell geändert werden muss, denn ich denke das eines der beliebtestenname Softwares mit jedem betriebssystem kompatibel sein sollte. ich habe ein Lenovo.

Sussyimposter

I am also wanting OBS to become available for Chrome Operating Systems. I just bought a new Samsung Chromebook Plus which is a very good device and fits about 90% of what I need it for. However, the other 10% I was needing it for was to use it for to download OBS and start streaming on facebook, however it is not supported (yet I hope) for Chrome OS. I am hoping that they will release a version for Chrome OS!!
You cannot run obs even if it was compatible with chrome os and its hardware. The hardware even in the best chromebooks out there isnt match against a 10 year old windows pc since there would be more cores than chromebooks and those cores would be stronger. There also wouldnt be a reason for the obs developers to make obs for chromebooks since most chromebook users are students. If you want to record your games on a chromebook, go to the bottom right of your screen where the clock would be, click on it and select 'Screen Capture'. Then select the part where you want to record. It may not give the best results since the hardware in chromebook cpus have only a single core or double core and they are not strong. If you really want obs in your chromebook, then follow this guide: https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/install-ubuntu-on-chromebook#1-overview. Though I must warn you doing this may void your warranty and/or could damage your hardware and make your chromebook software more vulnerable for hackers. In fact I would rather buy a whole new computer for $700(whice is the same price as most new samsung chromebooks) which has better hardware and software customization. Remember, chromebooks are cheap because of their low-power consumption, low specs and chrome os's controls for school uses.

Sussyimposter

yeah, what's stopping you, and I'm asking from a (for lack of a better word) providers standpoint, wouldn't you agree that making OBS more accessible for people is better? Given it wouldn't be an easy task but I don't see a logical reason for objecting to it so hastily.
Even the best chromebook in the market (as of 2022) is not meant for recording in high quality. It is used for productivity and/or very light gaming(on the web). You dont buy a chromebook to record anything, let alone stream. The only time i can think of for recording on a chromebook is when you want to use to to capture another device using a capture card. Even then, for that price youcould just get yourself a windows 10 laptop and it would do so much better with recording and streaming than a chromebook. If you really want to stream, then just buy a new pc around the same price. If you really want to stream on ur chromebook, then use apps from the chrome web store, or use the built in linux to download the linux version of obs(though i suggest you dont try this). Note that chromebooks are weaker than a 2008 desktop.

TerraCPU

Even the best chromebook in the market (as of 2022) is not meant for recording in high quality. It is used for productivity and/or very light gaming(on the web). You dont buy a chromebook to record anything, let alone stream. The only time i can think of for recording on a chromebook is when you want to use to to capture another device using a capture card. Even then, for that price youcould just get yourself a windows 10 laptop and it would do so much better with recording and streaming than a chromebook. If you really want to stream, then just buy a new pc around the same price. If you really want to stream on ur chromebook, then use apps from the chrome web store, or use the built in linux to download the linux version of obs(though i suggest you dont try this). Note that chromebooks are weaker than a 2008 desktop.
I hate to contradict...

I have an Intel Pentium Silver N5030 in my Chromebook.

You said specifically that a desktop from 2008 would be faster.

So, I researched a significant CPU from 2008 and stuck with the intel core 2 duo E4700

Geekbench seems to contradict your argument.

1660468451586.png

Now this wouldn't be significant if it weren't for the fact that this is an Intel Pentium Silver, a budget low powered CPU for laptops.

Let alone the core i7 Chromebooks you can buy from the likes of Acer: https://store.acer.com/en-gb/acer-chromebook-spin-713
-convertible-cp713-3w-grey-nx-a6xek-006

But it gets worse.

You said that a PC would have "more cores and stronger ones". Now If you were talking about a DESKTOP PC, I wouldn't argue. But you just said blanket PC. You do know that Chromebooks use the same CPU's as PC laptops? Also, claiming Chromebooks are only for students is also a lie, I actually know an organisation that use exclusively Macbooks and Chromebooks. No windows PC's in sight.

So not only was you comment on Chromebooks being "slower" than PC's miscommunicated at best, misinformed at worse, but your claim that only students use Chromebooks is also, a lie.

Please do your research before throwing claims like that.

I appreciate that it's hard getting OBS to work within crostini, but claiming "they're not up to the task" is just plain wrong.

Last edited:

ascientist

There will not be a version that is released for ChromeOS.
its interesting you automatically state Chromebook wont get an app when you clearly dont know about Chromebook or what would be needed to satisfy the customers needs and you can say its a free app with volunteers all day but patron would disagree at $4000 a month refusing to even think about alternate development paths makes potential patrons think their money is better placed somewhere more open minded. there was a time developers refused to build gui because they thought it was a waste of time much like you probably think this is. if its honestly about limitations than you need to ask yourself are you really a developer if you stop working just because you dont know the answer. regardless of all this there is a clear need for broadcasting software on Chromebook and everyone assumes you will be the first or at least the best to fix this problem unfortunally for us you seem to disagree.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
its interesting you automatically state Chromebook wont get an app when you clearly dont know about Chromebook or what would be needed to satisfy the customers needs and you can say its a free app with volunteers all day but patron would disagree at $4000 a month refusing to even think about alternate development paths makes potential patrons think their money is better placed somewhere more open minded. there was a time developers refused to build gui because they thought it was a waste of time much like you probably think this is. if its honestly about limitations than you need to ask yourself are you really a developer if you stop working just because you dont know the answer. regardless of all this there is a clear need for broadcasting software on Chromebook and everyone assumes you will be the first or at least the best to fix this problem unfortunally for us you seem to disagree.
I don't think you understand. It is literally impossible (at the time of this writing) to even write a Chromebook application that is capable of capturing your screen. I don't mean hard, I mean literally impossible. There's no API for it. Google hasn't provided one. It's a thing that cannot be done.

If you want that to change, talk to Google.

Jelle Johannson

I have OBS installed on my windows pc and i tried to connect my chromebook to it by a videocapture card and even that wont be reconized by obs. So its not only that i wont work on a chromebook, it is totaly blocking everything that is conected to/with chromebooks.