Chromebook supported

ShadowHunter

I've been wondering if you could make this software OBS studio, avail to chromebook. Please make it so you can download it on the website not chrome store, website.

Thank You!!!

keith_burns

I am also wanting OBS to become available for Chrome Operating Systems. I just bought a new Samsung Chromebook Plus which is a very good device and fits about 90% of what I need it for. However, the other 10% I was needing it for was to use it for to download OBS and start streaming on facebook, however it is not supported (yet I hope) for Chrome OS. I am hoping that they will release a version for Chrome OS!!

RandomAndy

yeah, what's stopping you, and I'm asking from a (for lack of a better word) providers standpoint, wouldn't you agree that making OBS more accessible for people is better? Given it wouldn't be an easy task but I don't see a logical reason for objecting to it so hastily.

Harold

The hardware is underpowered, and there's also likely restrictions to access to the core functions OBS requires.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Really, it's the restrictions that kill it even more than the hardware. Even if you installed ChromeOS on a powerful system (why??), you would be hamstrung by the restrictions that ChromeOS places on what programs can and can't do on the system.

ChromeOS is intended to be a barebones operating system where all your apps are web-based. However, OBS very much needs access to low-level functionality that ChromeOS does not allow applications to have, and that is by design of ChromeOS. OBS wouldn't even be able to do simple things like capture the screen.

So unfortunately it's just never going to happen unless ChromeOS changes, but due to the fact that ChromeOS is intentionally designed this way, I don't think it will happen.

dudeguybro

Really, it's the restrictions that kill it even more than the hardware. Even if you installed ChromeOS on a powerful system (why??), you would be hamstrung by the restrictions that ChromeOS places on what programs can and can't do on the system.

ChromeOS is intended to be a barebones operating system where all your apps are web-based. However, OBS very much needs access to low-level functionality that ChromeOS does not allow applications to have, and that is by design of ChromeOS. OBS wouldn't even be able to do simple things like capture the screen.

So unfortunately it's just never going to happen unless ChromeOS changes, but due to the fact that ChromeOS is intentionally designed this way, I don't think it will happen.
But that can't even be the case anymore. Chrome OS now supports Android apps and offline files. It's fundamentally not a web-based device anymore. And you can't say that Chromebook in the last three years can't handle mirroring then streaming video because my phone can do that in like three taps. Especially if you just want a capture device to stream to a Chromebook. I mean, a company is free to do as it pleases but knocking something that is not a real limitation is just odd. At this point, I feel like the real reason is that it's a niche that not worth the trouble, which is also completely fine to say.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
I was not aware that Chromebooks can now run Android apps, that is news to me and is different from what I had heard about how Chromebooks work.

But that just shifts the question to whether there will be an OBS Android app, to which the answer to that is "not for an extremely long time, if ever." It basically would mean completely rewriting the app from the ground up, and there's already way too much to work on for the desktop app to be able to devote any resources to such a project that is being made for free by volunteers. So the answer doesn't really change.

Last edited:

BryKriTri

You should really try to get it as a app, I'm getting a chromebook in like 4 days and I really want to stream with OBS on it.

lpil

Hi all!

I'd just like to add a little note challenging the idea that ChromeOS is limited and only for low power hardware and only for simple web browsing.

ChromeOS is capable of running ChromeOS apps, Android apps, and Linux applications and as a result has a robust ecosystem suited for many tasks.
I myself am a software engineer and roughly a year ago I moved from a Dell XPS running Debian Linux and an Apple Macbook Pro to a ChromeOS Pixelbook with no trouble for my work.

Whether ChromeOS' graphics stack is suitable for being targeted by future of OBS I couldn't say, but please let's not rule out this very capable operating system because of some precognition about what it is for. After all, many people say Linux is just for servers, yet OBS brings a lot of value to many Linux users.

Cheers,
Louis

edit: Off the back of this thread I decided to install OBS on this Chromebook and give it a try. With a XSHM screen capture is successfully captures the mouse cursor, but that's all. Alas!

Seeing as ChromeOS uses Wayland I suspect it may be related to this bug in the tracker -> https://obsproject.com/mantis/view.php?id=719

Last edited:

fromeister2009

I've used Lightstream as of today. I streamed android based Retroarch emulator to Facebook Live today and streamed MLB 9 Innings 19 yesterday to Facebook Live. Both worked great on my HP Chromebook x360 14. Trying to say that chromebook hardware is underpowered and would not support running OBS is completely biased on there part and shows that they do not follow technology very well. My HP Chromebook x360 14 has 8gb ram, 64gb HD, Google Play support, Linux support, Intel i3 8th gen processor, Intel UHD 620 graphics card with touchscreen and 4k capabilities. The Google Pixelbook offers an i5 or i7 processor. With that kind of hardware power you can not tell me that it couldn't support OBS in some fashion. I understand the limitations that Chrome OS has when it comes to Linux currently, but Google is taking care of that as well in the coming future. But since OBS doesn't seem to want to work with Chrome OS I would 100% recommend anyone that wants to stream to Facebook, Twitch, Mixer, YouTube or RTMP services I strongly recommend Lightstream.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Lightstream works by performing the "hard parts" in the cloud (where the "hard parts" are rendering and encoding). OBS would need to do the "hard parts" on the user's machine itself, which is a fundamental difference between the way OBS and Lightstream work. OBS is a program, Lightstream is a service.

If Lightstream works for you, then by all means, use it! I'm glad there's a solution out there for people who want to stream from their Chromebooks.

MarioCamargi

I think the idea of having obs in a notebook, because I downloaded the obs in windows 7 32 bits and I wanted to do my direct prm and could not because my pc is not so good and I would like to use it in the chromebook because I feel it would be a better performance my pc is very bad and the chromebook is better and if they do not it is for girls because they do not strive to help all who want to have obs without so many problems at least believe something different for chromebook another version I hope you read this

H4ndy

Forum Moderator
OBS can be installed/compiled when switching your Chromebook to Linux mode. However we cannot guarantee that it will work fine as most Chromebooks have very low end hardware, you are basically on your own here.

We will also not release a ChromeOS version of OBS at the moment for the same reasons in addition to major limitations of what ChromeOS apps can do.