Question / Help Choppy videos. Unsure about my obs settings.

Chris.mok

I play minecraft with shaders on and get about 80-100fps whilst recording with obs. The game runs smoothly, and I'm getting smooth game play through the obs record screen. I only see the choppiness/ lagging after the video is finished and i go to play it back. I'm looking for possible causes and solutions/ optimizations for my obs settings. I also seem to get the same effect even without shaders on.

Obs settings-
  • Recording format: mp4 (4 audio tracks)
  • Encoder: Nvida Nvench H.264(new)
  • Rate control: Cqp
  • Cq level: 15
  • keyframes: 0
  • Preset: Max quality
  • Profile: High
  • Look- ahead: off
  • Psycho visual tuning: on
  • Gpu: 0
  • Max B-frames: 2
  • Output: 2560x1440p vsync on in game. 1080p 60fps makes it better but still choppy.
Note - I tried using Record format: "lossless" but it seems to only record a black screen. Not sure why and I've tried everything to fix it.

Computer specs-
  • Gpu: 2080 Super
  • Cpu: AMD 3600x 6 cores 12 threads
  • Ram: 32gb 3200mhz DDR4
  • SSD: 1tb samsung 860 evo
  • HDD: 1tb
  • Monitor: 2560x1440p 144hz Second monitor is 1920x1080p 60hz
  • Ethernet: Download 200mbps Upload 36mbps (Recording locally if that helps )
Note - I also have dedicated more ram to the game, around 5gbs out of the 32.
1440p vsync Log - https://obsproject.com/logs/t-GdxDSwopIltTJ5
1080p 60fps log - https://obsproject.com/logs/i53yOsQYUapsCAPV

Without shaders on - https://obsproject.com/logs/fCNzw02gAa-SEUNJ

Last edited:

Narcogen

Not seeing any significant frame drop in those logs. There are inherent problems in Windows running two monitors on the same GPU at different refresh rates, though, and the result can appear as stutter.

What are you playing back the recordings with?

Chris.mok

Not seeing any significant frame drop in those logs. There are inherent problems in Windows running two monitors on the same GPU at different refresh rates, though, and the result can appear as stutter.

What are you playing back the recordings with?
Thanks for the reply! I figured out the problem causing the choppy videos. I was trying to playback the videos from windows "Movies and tv", whilst still having the game on and obs (not recording) open in the background. By closing both of those and then playing the video, I get a seamless playback. A new question I have though is: what can I use to playback videos besides "Movies and tv" that's a better option and free? If you have any suggestions I'll gladly hear them.

FerretBomb

VLC Video Player is the video player of choice. It's free and open-source, just like OBS Studio.

As a side note, NEVER EVER record to MP4 directly with OBS. If you record multi-track audio, record to MKV and remux to MP4 later.
Many video editors have major problems with OBS' direct-record MP4s, and if the recording is interrupted at any time, for any reason before the file is finalized, the entire recording will be corrupted and 100% unrecoverable. Recording to MKV and remuxing from OBS' File menu is the best way to record safely, and still get MP4s if needed.

Chris.mok

VLC Video Player is the video player of choice. It's free and open-source, just like OBS Studio.

As a side note, NEVER EVER record to MP4 directly with OBS. If you record multi-track audio, record to MKV and remux to MP4 later.
Many video editors have major problems with OBS' direct-record MP4s, and if the recording is interrupted at any time, for any reason before the file is finalized, the entire recording will be corrupted and 100% unrecoverable. Recording to MKV and remuxing from OBS' File menu is the best way to record safely, and still get MP4s if needed.
I've read that mp4 stuff multiple times now. I'll be switching to Mkv from now on, thanks. I'll also be switching to VLC also, appreciate the reply!