Checkerboarding issue in preview and output

Kaopoke

Hi,

I have this problem that only seems to happen in where there are occasional checkerboard-like artifacts visible in the OBS preview and output.
The actual game runs fine, no checkerboard issues there. The issue only happens on my RTX 4080 and not on my RX 7900 XTX.
The GPU is not being overclocked. It doesn't matter what encoder I use either. I've tried switching to older Nvidia drivers as well but it doesn't seem to matter.

Attached is an image from the video I recorded in the game Kao the Kangaroo Round 2.
Here is the log file for that video:
I'd like to point out I'm not the only one with this issue. I've seen other streamers playing this game also getting this artifacting.

I have also included a screenshot from Half-Life 1, another where this problem arises.

Edit: in an earlier version of this post I talked about this only happening in OpenGL based games, but I'm not so sure about that anymore after seeing this Reddit post talking about this artifact in Rocket League, which is not OpenGL: https://www.reddit.com/r/obs/comments/w7qbtw/checkers_checkerboard_artifact_in_obs_recorded/

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 2024-03-20 21-26-14.mkv_snapshot_03.58.168jpg.jpg
    2024-03-20 21-26-14.mkv_snapshot_03.58.168jpg.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 2024-03-20 15-27-10.mkv_snapshot_03.01.401jpg.jpg
    2024-03-20 15-27-10.mkv_snapshot_03.01.401jpg.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

rockbottom

This jumped out of the log as weird. 390HZ? The monitor supports 360, try adjusting it & see if it helps.
21:26:10.246: refresh=390

rockbottom

Unless there's an issue with the driver, the 4080 supports B Frames. Driver is old but should still be A-OK with the version of OBS in play.

rockbottom

Bummer. The good news it's not OBS, the bad, you're going to need to dig deeper. Hardware, driver or something else.

rockbottom

Looking back at the release notes, the Nvidia driver you have installed (526.98) had lots of issues. Screen corruption being one of them. Update it to the latest see if it helps. You're going to need to update the driver anyway if you want to upgrade to OBS 30.1.

Last edited:

Kaopoke

Looking back at the release notes, the Nvidia driver you have installed (526.98) had lots of issues. Screen corruption being one of them. Update it to the latest see if it helps. You're going to need to update the driver anyway if you want to upgrade to OBS 30.1.
I was on the latest drivers. I only reverted to this one to test if this is a driver issue.

rockbottom

If it's only happening on 1 monitor, it could be it or maybe the cable. If it's happening on both monitors, then it might be the 4080 or something else like a loose connection in your PC.

rockbottom

Your set-up is simple, I doubt it will help but worth a try. Create a new Profile with just the Game Capture source, see if that helps.

Kaopoke

If it's only happening on 1 monitor, it could be it or maybe the cable. If it's happening on both monitors, then it might be the 4080 or something else like a loose connection in your PC.
It happens on both monitors. I've checked all the connections on my PC but everything was plugged in correctly.

rockbottom

Have you tried a different game or just capturing video? Perhaps it's something with Kao the Kangaroo Round 2 that's causing the corruption. I was helping somebody else, they had a similar issue & it was the game.

Kaopoke

Have you tried a different game or just capturing video? Perhaps it's something with Kao the Kangaroo Round 2 that's causing the corruption. I was helping somebody else, they had a similar issue & it was the game.
This does not happen in all games. I've only seen it in Kao the Kangaroo Round 2 and Half-Life so far.

rockbottom

You have your answer. Specific games cause the corruption, try to figure out why. Example, using G-Sync with games that run at a fixed refresh rate can cause corruption.

rockbottom

Fast V-sync can also cause stuttering/corruption with some games. If you're using it, try regular v-sync with Triple Buffering enabled.