Centering cropped sources

Say you've got a game or a webcam or something that comes in at 16:9 but it's really just a big black box with a 4:3 frame, what do you do? You crop out the black stuff of course!

Problem is, not every source has what's important in the dead center so sometimes you may have to nervously move the image around and hope it's in the center the "center" option given centers the entire 16:9 frame which doesn't help at all.

Good suggestion?

ThoNohT

Developer
Yes, very good. I never considered this, but it should be default behaviour that it centers whatever is still visible, not the invisible stuff around it.

Also as a side note, cropping is hard on OBS. There are times where I need to get rid of just a little bit and it seems to have a minimum crop limit or something.

ThoNohT

Developer
Cropping is a bit derpy to begin with in the current version. I committed a fix for this, and implemented centering and moving to the sides for cropped sources. So expect it in the next release.

And indeed, holding down ctrl when cropping, sizing or moving disables snapping, allowing you to crop precisely.

ThoNohT said:
Cropping is a bit derpy to begin with in the current version. I committed a fix for this, and implemented centering and moving to the sides for cropped sources. So expect it in the next release.

And indeed, holding down ctrl when cropping, sizing or moving disables snapping, allowing you to crop precisely.

Right on, can't wait to see it. When is the next release?

ThoNohT said:

I cropped a source and hit center and it didn't go to the center. Guess it didn't make it in. Thanks anyways. Probably make it into the next one.

ThoNohT

Developer
I haven't tested the latest release yet, but that seems strange, I just checked and I do see that the fixed code is there in the repository. So I think that either my fix didn't work optimally (I did some pretty heavy testing though), or you are doing something strange :P

I will test this later, to see if there are still issues.

ThoNohT

Developer
I just tested it, and you are correct, the behaviour still isn't completely as it should be. As long as you don't scale, the centering works as expected, but when you change the size of a cropped source, it still doesn't center it correctly. Shouldn't be too hard to fix, I'll probably do that during this weekend. But you'll have to wait for the next test build to use it though.

ThoNohT said:
I just tested it, and you are correct, the behaviour still isn't completely as it should be. As long as you don't scale, the centering works as expected, but when you change the size of a cropped source, it still doesn't center it correctly. Shouldn't be too hard to fix, I'll probably do that during this weekend. But you'll have to wait for the next test build to use it though.

You know me, I love waiting. Keep up the good work buddy!

ThoNohT

Developer
Ok well it's done. I also made the fit to screen option take cropping into account, as that was also producing strange results.
I hope I got everything this time :P But I guess you'll be testing it for me as soon as it's out :)

Sure am! Got these 4:3 systems coming in at "720p" gotta get rid of that black for something classier! How often do releases come out?

ThoNohT

Developer
There's no real schedule. Whenever new stuff is ready, or something is fixed, there will be a new test release.

I can't release stuff for you, but if you can hop on the webchat sometimes when I'm there I could send you a custom build so we can do some testing.

ThoNohT said:
There's no real schedule. Whenever new stuff is ready, or something is fixed, there will be a new test release.

I can't release stuff for you, but if you can hop on the webchat sometimes when I'm there I could send you a custom build so we can do some testing.

I'm there and I'll be checking in as often as possible. Same name as here.