Question / Help CBR bitrate spikes?

So I stream at 2300/2300 max bitrate/buff in CBR, with CBR padding enabled. And 128 bitrate audio (MP3).

Why do I see my info in the bottom right of OBS spike upwards of 3000 sometimes? Is this because of Padding? It causes my Green icon to flash into orange/red. Most nights I"m perfectly fine, zero frames dropped. Other nights I run into this problem.

Whenever I drop frames it is because it spikes well above my set number, and I'm wondering how I can reduce this from happening.

Krazy

Town drunk
Assuming you stream to Twitch, if you set the Keyframe Interval option in Advanced to 0 does that resolve the issue?

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
It's important to note that the number at the bottom right represents your network rate, not your video bitrate. If your connection stutters momentarily or there is some other network hiccup, the next second of data that goes out has to make up for the previous data that didn't go out plus the current data, so there will be a spike in the data rate.

Boildown

First, you should have CFR (constant frame rate) enabled (On / Yes).

If you discover it isn't a network problem as R1CH says (or perhaps if it is), you can make your outgoing bitrate more consistent by using a buffer size less than your stream bitrate. Personally I stream with a buffer 2/3rd my bitrate, because I don't want any chance that when the action gets fierce, my stream will interfere with my ability to send and receive game traffic.

Ianuarius

Krazy said:
Assuming you stream to Twitch, if you set the Keyframe Interval option in Advanced to 0 does that resolve the issue?
I can't believe it but this seems to have fixed all my frame dropping. Might be too early to say, but I just streamed 90 minutes of Morrowind and it was SUPER SMOOTH! :o

Excellent!

Krazy

Town drunk
Yeah, unfortunately setting such a low keyframe interval as per the twitch requirements really screws with stable bitrates. It's really quite annoying