Capturing Windows XP with Capture Card/Resolution Changes

JanelleWaz

I want to use my Elgato capture card to capture footage from my Windows XP computer (mainly for older video games. While virtual machines work in a pinch, some games simply look/run better on an actual computer). I'm not streaming the footage, just recording footage and editing it into video reviews. I bought a VGA to HDMI converter, and it works pretty well and I'm able to capture good audio and video. However, there are a couple of problems I'm running into.

1. (The lesser problem) I want to create a second source that uses the Elgato, but I keep getting a black screen. The first Elgato source I have is for when I capture console footage in a separate scene. The reason I want to do it this way is so I can change the settings/filters for the XP scene without changing the console scene settings which already work great. But what I'm running into is the first Elgato source captures audio/video fine, but the second one doesn't capture anything. Is it possible to create two Elgato sources for two separate scenes, or am I stuck using the same source for both scenes?
  2. (The bigger problem) While capturing footage from the Windows XP computer, every time there's a resolution change, OBS will either register a black screen or frozen screen with green lines. I'm then forced to end the recording and completely close and reopen OBS. The picture below is what I'm running into (or sometimes it's a zoomed-up frozen version of the desktop with the green lines). I've attempted to use the scaling/resolution filter on both the source and the scene, but with no luck. Is there any way to fix this?
    vlcsnap-2023-05-19-09h43m40s598.png
What I'm using:
OBS 29.1.1
Elgato HD60 S+
fairikabe VGA to HDMI Adapter with Audio (It was only about ten bucks at Amazon, and it seems to get the job done, but I'm willing to acknowledge that my problems could be linked to this)