Question / Help Capture Device PS3 LPCM with OBS Support

halsafar

Is it possible to capture the PS3 @ 1080p when bitstreaming LPCM audio out?

Basically I have my PS3@1080p+LPCM -> HDMI -> AV Receiver -> HDMI -> TV.

I would like to inject a capture device into that setup without wrecking audio. I understand the PS3 has HDCP and this throws another wrench into the mess.

Can I stick a capture device with pass through after the AV Receiver and everything will just work?

I am not interesting in live streaming the 5.1 LPCM, I don't mind if the stream is stereo. For my enjoyment though I love surround sound and don't want to give it up just to do some live streaming.

Any tips on a capture device to buy that supports the above and works with OBS?

Thanks!

Boildown

The HDCP needs to be stripped at some point as far as I know. I don't see where that happens in your setup. You can output over Component and that won't have HDCP. There are capture cards that can capture component on the marketplace. There are also debatably legal devices to strip the HDCP on the marketplace. No capture cards I'm aware of natively support HDCP, as capturing HDCP content is exactly what HDCP is designed to prevent.

tehguy

You will need to remove HDCP. Some HDMI splitters (1 in 2 out) will do this as long as a HDCP capable device (for example a TV) is connected first. As far as I know they just pass through the raw signal, so your bitstream audio should go through too.

It worked fine for me but I had to set the PS3 to stereo output as either my capture device or OBS did not like 5.1 audio and it was using the surround left and right instead of the front left and right.

halsafar

So dealing with the HDCP doesn't sound that bad.

I guess now the issue will be dealing with the LPCM audio and the capture devices. I am hoping to avoid having to set the PS3 to stereo. Based on my understanding so far of the situation that just won't happen.

Videophile

Elgato
Hi,

Ok, the sound will always be converted to the lowest chain in the link. Unfortunately, since capture cards almost always capture stereo, this means the PS3 will be limited to stereo.

halsafar

What if I have my AV Receiver output stereo to the TV? This is an option I just realized.

So my setup would look like this:
PS3@1080p+LPCM -> HDMI -> AV Receiver (Audio out to speakers here) -> HDMI (with TV audio enabled) -> HDMI Splitter (goodbye HDCP) -> CaptureCard (Passthrough) -> TV

Think that has a chance to work?

Trying to be clever before I go buy a whole bunch of hardware.