Question / Help Can't stream through wired connection on laptop (Solved I guess)

hairybones1997

Awhile back, I came to these forums with the following issue: "my stream constantly goes between 0 and 200 kbps, stream doesn't show on twitch". I have since figured out why that occurs on my computer and it is simply because obs refuses to utilize my wired internet card and will only work with my wireless card. Now that I have recently moved and outfitted my room with complete wired internet connections everywhere, I would like to readdress the newly discovered issue of "How do I make OBS use my wired connection instead of having it try to use the wireless one?"

I began simply by turning off my wifi through a keyboard shortcut of "FN (function) + F12 (the wireless button)" to no avail. Then I went deep into the control panel and disabled my wireless network card completely so only the wired network card is on and still no dice. I went into OBS's advanced settings and messed with the "Bind to interface" drop-down, using every option only to get the same result as before (excluding this one strange option that didn't look like an ip address and didn't even attempt to connect, I think that's the wifi). What is there left to try? Am I stuck with having to use wireless for streaming? I could use the ps4 for streaming for the time being, but if there is any way I can use my computer to stream instead, I would certainly perfer it.

Please let me know of any solutions you guys can think of! Thanks in advance! The last few log files are attached.

Attachments

• last few days.zip
    10.7 KB · Views: 37

dping

Awhile back, I came to these forums with the following issue: "my stream constantly goes between 0 and 200 kbps, stream doesn't show on twitch". I have since figured out why that occurs on my computer and it is simply because obs refuses to utilize my wired internet card and will only work with my wireless card. Now that I have recently moved and outfitted my room with complete wired internet connections everywhere, I would like to readdress the newly discovered issue of "How do I make OBS use my wired connection instead of having it try to use the wireless one?"

I began simply by turning off my wifi through a keyboard shortcut of "FN (function) + F12 (the wireless button)" to no avail. Then I went deep into the control panel and disabled my wireless network card completely so only the wired network card is on and still no dice. I went into OBS's advanced settings and messed with the "Bind to interface" drop-down, using every option only to get the same result as before (excluding this one strange option that didn't look like an ip address and didn't even attempt to connect, I think that's the wifi). What is there left to try? Am I stuck with having to use wireless for streaming? I could use the ps4 for streaming for the time being, but if there is any way I can use my computer to stream instead, I would certainly perfer it.

Please let me know of any solutions you guys can think of! Thanks in advance! The last few log files are attached.
the best method is to find which IPv4 address that your wired interface is using then set OBS to that IP. If you are seeing an IPv6 address, that wont work. if both are connected at the same time, bind to interface should hard set it as long as your wired connection is dishing out an IPv4 address to the wired connection. you might have to do some DHCP searching in your router for the MAC address and maybe even set a DHCP reservation to ensure the wired IP doesn't change between reboots, toggling wired/wireless etc.
There is a setting in windows network and sharing center to set the search priority of the network(s) but that doesn't always do it.

hairybones1997

I have obs set to my IPv4 address and it still is not working. This address has not changed even since I moved, so the address changing is not an issue. Are there any other ideas?

dping

I have obs set to my IPv4 address and it still is not working. This address has not changed even since I moved, so the address changing is not an issue. Are there any other ideas?
Post your logfile like this:
giphy.gif

hairybones1997

You need to enter the new stream key into OBS.
Alright c'mon now, do you really think I didn't enter the new key in? The problem is I CAN connect to the server, but though my wired connection, OBS CANNOT upload the stream, which is my dilemma of it sitting at 0kbps. If I didn't enter the new key, OBS wouldn't have even connected, so of course I entered in the new key and it still did not work.

Osiris

Your log still shows twitch not accepting the stream key.
Restart OBS, start your stream for 30 seconds, stop the stream, File -> Help -> Upload current log file
paste the link here.

dping

Now we are getting somewhere.
Code:
RTMPPublisher::SocketLoop: Stalled for 20368 ms to write 463831 bytes (buffer: 0 / 463872), unstable connection?

you are seemingly connecting but seemingly something between you, your ISP and twitch cannot handle your 3500 bitrate.

try this tool for your region and post screenshots of the results:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/tech-support/478845-twitchtest-twitch-bandwidth-tester

hairybones1997

5xo1gl.jpg

Wow okay, so this is actually shedding some new light on this subject. The wired connection is great for download but the upload is a huge bottleneck for some reason. Another point to make is that my playstation's wired connection test gives me results of 2.2mbps or so of upload, so this could mean that my network card is a bottleneck. of course I'm gonna rearrange my wires later and see if perhaps my ethernet hub is a bottleneck (because I really hope that I can use a wired connection to stream) and get back to you guys later.

dping

5xo1gl.jpg

Wow okay, so this is actually shedding some new light on this subject. The wired connection is great for download but the upload is a huge bottleneck for some reason. Another point to make is that my playstation's wired connection test gives me results of 2.2mbps or so of upload, so this could mean that my network card is a bottleneck. of course I'm gonna rearrange my wires later and see if perhaps my ethernet hub is a bottleneck (because I really hope that I can use a wired connection to stream) and get back to you guys later.

Well its great you found the issue, now its only about isolating the problem. bad ethernet driver (older can sometimes be better), cable issues, router port issues, it could even be something in windows

hairybones1997

2yki147.jpg

First off, if any mods are seeing this thread and feel as though this doesn't belong in this sub-forum anymore, feel free to move it. I know I've overstayed my welcome.

Secondly, these results don't make my day any easier, as you can see on the left, my two closest connections are... San Fran and Seattle? (I live in New York). But then also on the right, they are worse than New York, not to mention in both tests, a total of three connections failed. Another thing to note is that when I connect to the wire from the wall (and not from my hub which then connects to the wall), my computer occasionally but consistently has to try and reconnect to wherever my wire comes from through the wall. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that connecting directly to the router is going to give me the best wired connection, but I don't have the time and it would be pointless anyways considering my ps4 is in my room.

I'm going to leave this thread open if anyone is interested in adding a comment such as "what if you *insert good idea here*," but from now on, I will consider this thread "solved I guess" and just deal with streaming over wifi. Thank you all for putting up with me and such and happy streaming!

dping

First off, if any mods are seeing this thread and feel as though this doesn't belong in this sub-forum anymore, feel free to move it. I know I've overstayed my welcome.

Secondly, these results don't make my day any easier, as you can see on the left, my two closest connections are... San Fran and Seattle? (I live in New York). But then also on the right, they are worse than New York, not to mention in both tests, a total of three connections failed. Another thing to note is that when I connect to the wire from the wall (and not from my hub which then connects to the wall), my computer occasionally but consistently has to try and reconnect to wherever my wire comes from through the wall. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that connecting directly to the router is going to give me the best wired connection, but I don't have the time and it would be pointless anyways considering my ps4 is in my room.

I'm going to leave this thread open if anyone is interested in adding a comment such as "what if you *insert good idea here*," but from now on, I will consider this thread "solved I guess" and just deal with streaming over wifi. Thank you all for putting up with me and such and happy streaming!

Its almost as if the wired connection isn't going through the same routes as the wireless one. Are you at a campus or something?

hairybones1997

No, but I just recently did a manual merge of the two connections. Before, the wired connection was "netgear74" and the wireless was "band home 3" even though they both come from the same router.