Question / Help Can't record game sound on obs only voice

thetruth

So I was trying to record a YT video for my YT channel and realized that something had messed up when I couldn't hear any game sound, but only my voice. I have recorded many times in the past with obs and could hear both game and voice sound. So this is all new to me. I tried searching for hours on youtube for answers and looking for myself as well. But couldn't find anything. I have 1 Realtek speaker that works perfectly fine and a headset. In the audio sound tab in playback my headset is default and speakers default communication. On recording the stereo mix is default and it is listening for my headset which is default communication. And my stereo mix is not on exclusive mode I turned that off. I hope I provided enough information for some help. thx :)

Sukiyucky

In the audio sound tab in playback my headset is default and speakers default communication

Your log says that OBS is using your speakers attached to Realtek as your playback device. But you said above you are using your headset as your default playback device.

Desktop Audio in OBS means whatever is the default playback device (set in Windows sound control panel). Could it be that you got your OBS Studio desktop audio set to the wrong device? If you have it set to speakers, then your game play won't be captured, only your Skype or whatever video communication app.

thetruth

In the audio sound tab in playback my headset is default and speakers default communication

Your log says that OBS is using your speakers attached to Realtek as your playback device. But you said above you are using your headset as your default playback device.

Desktop Audio in OBS means whatever is the default playback device (set in Windows sound control panel). Could it be that you got your OBS Studio desktop audio set to the wrong device? If you have it set to speakers, then your game play won't be captured, only your Skype or whatever video communication app.
well i when i try to put my speakers to defualt device on playback i cant hear anything through my headset. so thats why i have my headset as the default device and not the speaker. But on obs i have the desktop audio device as my speakers and my mic/aux as my headset.

thetruth

plus switching my desktop audio device to my headset which is the default option in playback did nothing

Narcogen

Check Settings > Audio for what devices you have configured for capture. You can configure them there and they will be present in all scenes, or you can add them to scenes individually.

Check Edit > Advanced Audio Properties for what device(s) are assigned to which audio track(s). You can record multiple audio tracks, but you can only stream one, so if you do both, you need at least one track with all the devices on it.

Also check there for devices to be set to either "output" or "monitor and output". If they are set to "monitor only" you'll hear them but they won't be recorded or streamed.

Finally check Settings> Output under Streaming and Recording to see which Track you're streaming and which Track(s) are being recorded.

It's-a me OwenP

okay i've been having this problem too, but none of the solutions i've found in my 5 hours of google searching have worked. i've figured out my problem, too. OBS won't let me choose to make it record audio going to my headphones. How do i fix this

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 5.28.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 5.28.27 PM.png
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,464

Narcogen

Whichever one your computer is using for default audio. If you're not sure, try one, test that it works, then change it. Repeat until you've found the right one.

I finally got everything to work also just to have my gamesound not working. I have been looking for 6 hours straight online and found nothing.

Attachments

• frick.PNG
    frick.PNG
    192.7 KB · Views: 1,093

mattiscool

I finally got everything to work also just to have my game sound not working. I have been looking for 6 hours straight online and found nothing.
I just set my desktop audio to default and it worked.
Now my setup is just a head set and video capture card so it may not work for you.