Question / Help Cant enable quicksync

fredkruge

Running:
i5 3570k
2 monitors
HD4000 iGpu drivers installed

I cant seem to get the quicksync option to be enabled, every OBS version I try to download and run doesnt have the option available to me they are all just greyed out.

Edit: Also I enabled my iGpu in my BIOS.

fredkruge

Was messing around to see if this would work. Installed Virtu MVP (standard free version), went to the applications tab in the control panel and added OBS.exe (64 bit for me) to the list with integrated graphics selected. This allowed me to check mark 'quicksync' in the OBS options.

EDIT: was trying it but it didnt seem to function correctly -_-

fredkruge

So? No responses? I would assume im doing something wrong if the quicksync option isnt showing up (I got rid of virtu MVP).

fredkruge

Mmm, its not that. I am able to turn on my igpu and install the drivers (hd4000 graphics show up in device manager and also when I attempt to 'detect' display drivers), so I definately have it functioning.

vaesauce

I've got a 3570K myself and the only way I've ever got my QuickSync to work was to add a virtual display.

Even after installing the drivers for the HD4000, Quicksync still wouldn't come up as "Available" on OBS.

So try this...

Right Click on Desktop
Screen Resolution
Detect
Click on "Another Display Not Detected"
Display Drop down, Choose the HD4000
Multiple Displays Drop down, Select "Try to connect anyway: VGA"
Hit Apply
Click on your regular display (1)
Multiple Displays, choose "Extend these Displays"

And that should active your QuickSync. Don't ever touch that Virtu MVP, it's garbage lol. Let me know if that works, it should.

vaesauce

Try restarting your PC afterward.

I only have 1 Monitor but i set up a fake display using what i just posted and it activated QuickSync.

fredkruge

Yea, I was able to get it working and then it stopped (not sure why). Im going to try restarting again, thanks for the info :)

fredkruge

Im only able to get quicksync enabled if I make my desktop extend to the fake 3rd display :/ (clicking 3rd display instead of primary, and under the 'multiple displays' drop down menu I select the extend option). Which poses the issue of there being dead space I cant access and possible resource usage of the fake area. I forget how I turned it off but kept the quicksync option :(

vaesauce

Make your Multiple display on (1) set to Show on Desktop (1) or whatever it says and then select Display (2) and where it says Multiple Display, you can remove it.

Once you remove the fake displays though, OBS will still say that it's activated but once you try running it, OBS will either crash or it won't work because QuickSync is no longer activated.

fredkruge

Yea, that seems to be what is happening :( , I find it retarded that I cant just keep the igpu enabled without this sideways stuff. I have an idea though, ill message back on the attempt.

fredkruge

Also quick question if anybody knows... if I increase the graphics clock of the igpu does it benefit me at all? In terms of quality or reduction of performance loss?

fredkruge

Does anyone have knowledge on whether increasing the igpu clock will increase quality or reduce performance degredation of using quicksync to encode?

fredkruge

Yes I have been googling, and funny thing is that I was there on that site and I grabbed the intel XTU which I didnt know existed previously XD. But its not the exact info im looking for. That site is testing the igpu as a video rendering device for gaming. But what im looking for is different, im trying to find whether increasing the clock increases quicksync quality, or performance, or if its negligible.

Also another question (sorry XD ) , when im using different filters such as bicubic sharper, or lanczos, and im using quicksync is that being done on the CPU or igpu? and is the performance difference big?