Question / Help Canon XF400 IP streaming source

choadibmailer

I am trying to find out if anyone has used OBS as a decoder for a source stream coming from the canon XF400 or XF705 IP streaming camera. I would like to recast the stream from the XF400 with switching and overlays using OBS.
The cameras output via Ethernet a UDP or RTP stream that is compatible with VLC. However, can you use OBS to add graphic overlays and send out to YouTube on a live stream? I have contacted Canon about the endpoint of the Canon XF400 IP stream, but they only seem to know about expensive hardware solutions. This is the case even though their documentation references VLC and “software decoder on a Computer.” It is truly frustrating as I don’t understand why a hardware decoder would be needed if you are already working with an IP stream.

Thank you for your response. As this is a potential setup question, I have no logs.

koala

If VLC is able to receive it, OBS with the VLC video source is also able to receive it and provide it as source. If you install VLC with the same bitness (32 or 64) as OBS on your machine, you will see a "VLC video source" as available sources in OBS. To receive the video in OBS, enter the same address in a newly created VLC video source as you enter in VLC.

MandyDroid

I was able to set this up. I had to use a wired connection. So first I had to setup the network in the camera, I used manual IP information. I set the camera to IP streaming - RTP. The stream is Unicast so I had to specify the destination IP and port. Next I went to OBS and add a VLC Video Source. Then I added an item to the VLC playlist in OBS and set the Path/URL to rtp://:5000

Hit ok a few times and waited a minute. The live video began to display in OBS.

This was all done in OPBS only. VLC is installed on the system but I did not open VLC to complete this process.

I was able to livestream to facebook using this method.

jhfreemantle

I was able to set this up. I had to use a wired connection. So first I had to setup the network in the camera, I used manual IP information. I set the camera to IP streaming - RTP. The stream is Unicast so I had to specify the destination IP and port. Next I went to OBS and add a VLC Video Source. Then I added an item to the VLC playlist in OBS and set the Path/URL to rtp://:5000

Hit ok a few times and waited a minute. The live video began to display in OBS.

This was all done in OPBS only. VLC is installed on the system but I did not open VLC to complete this process.

I was able to livestream to facebook using this method.
MandyDroid could you help me more in-depth please I'm really struggling with this and don't know what I'm doing wrong but IP streaming is currently greyed out on my canon xf400 and it won't let me select it?

Last edited:

mmw_canada

MandyDroid could you help me more in-depth please I'm really struggling with this and don't know what I'm doing wrong but IP streaming is currently greyed out on my canon xf400 and it won't let me select it?

Hi jhfreemantle,

I'm setting this up on a XF405 at the moment. To get the button to stop being grey, you need to put a destination ip address in. It won't work on WiFi, only a wired connection.

MandyDroid

Although the IP streaming does work . it causes the IP stream to be about 2 seconds delayed compared to the rest fo my cameras and audio.

jhfreemantle

Hi jhfreemantle,

I'm setting this up on a XF405 at the moment. To get the button to stop being grey, you need to put a destination ip address in. It won't work on WiFi, only a wired connection.

Hi so I got figure my issues with the button being grey, but now everything I connect via ethernet to my laptop doing everything you've said i'm not getting a image in OBS could you do a step by step by any chance please?

jhfreemantle

Although the IP streaming does work . it causes the IP stream to be about 2 seconds delayed compared to the rest fo my cameras and audio.
Hi so I figured out my issues with the button being grey, but now everything I connect via ethernet to my laptop doing everything you've said i'm not getting an image in OBS could you do a step by step by any chance please?

jpwatson

jhfreemantle - did you figure it out? I set my destination address on the XF400 to be my Mac (in my case: 10.10.5.51) running OBS, but the Media Source IP in OBS is my gateway (router) at 10.10.5.1 with the full address entered as: udp://10.10.5.1:5000

hello, I managed to configure via LAN connection
I leave you with some used settings

router setiings
ip 192.168.0.1
mask 255.255.255.0

camera settings (manual settings)
ip 192.168.0.50
mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1
dns 192.168.0.1
port 5000
protocol RTP

pc setiings (manual settings)

ip 192.168.0.105
mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1
dns 192.168.0.1

vlc settings for testing network stream
rtp://@:5000

obs settings for live
rtp://192.168.0.50:5000

and network stream in obs and start stream with youtube.

I wish you good luck, if there are problems I will be happy to help you

craig7716

hello, I managed to configure via LAN connection
I leave you with some used settings

router setiings
ip 192.168.0.1
mask 255.255.255.0

camera settings (manual settings)
ip 192.168.0.50
mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1
dns 192.168.0.1
port 5000
protocol RTP

pc setiings (manual settings)

ip 192.168.0.105
mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1
dns 192.168.0.1

vlc settings for testing network stream
rtp://@:5000

obs settings for live
rtp://192.168.0.50:5000

and network stream in obs and start stream with youtube.

I wish you good luck, if there are problems I will be happy to help you
I' still not able to get IP Streaming to activate. Still greyed out.
What did you do to make that happen?