Question / Help Cannot set "Desktop Audio Device"

DerpyKangaru

Mine doesn't work, I've gotten the iShowU Audio Capture thing, but it doesn't show up on the Audio MIDI setup. I looked up fixes, such as going to settings -> security & privacy -> general and hit the "allow" button to allow iShowU Capture to be downloaded, but nothing changed. I'm really confused right now, pls help.

Narcogen

Please make a new thread. The question of enabling desktop audio capture in MacOS, as covered by the forum sticky on that topic, is absolutely distinct from attempting to use an iPhone as a capture device.

yowas

I am having a similar problem:

I can use "audio midi setup" to create the multi-output device
I can select the multi-output device in "system prefs - sound"

But it doesn't show up as an available option in OBS under any audio drop-down in settings.

Thoughts?

Narcogen

Check whether those devices show up as a possible audio device in Settings > Audio, either under Desktop or Mic/Aux.

If they don't, then your installation of 3rd party software (iShowU, SoundFlower, whatever you used) did not succeed.

If the device DOES show there, but not when you add an Audio source to a scene, then you're adding the wrong type. (Audio Input and Audio Output are both source types-- on MacOS, one will likely be empty and the other will show all your available devices).

PMG_a.i

STEPS TO MAKE AUDIO WORK .
AFTER DOWNLOADING ISHOWU

- GO TO SETTING IN OBS
- GO TO AUDIO
- UNDER "AUDIO 2"
- CLICK "ISHOWU"
- CLICK "APPLY" (BOTTOM LEFT)
- CLICK "OK"
- CLOSE OBS

THEN DO THIS ... (BELOW)

1) GO TO APPLICATIONS
2) CLICK "SHOW PACKAGE CONTENT"
3) CLICK "CONTENTS"
4) CLICK "MacOS"
5) CLICK "OBS"
6) ENABLE MICROPHONE WHEN SECURITY PREFERENCE POPS UP

micaelomota

Guys, I just tested and zoom is able to get every sound on my macbook if I selected the audio input "System audio". Is there any way to get obs running like that?

caliobs

@heidi, @Thomas et. al.:
FWIW...I was banging my head with the same problem on my MAC/OSX and at last, I gave in and reinstalled OBS Studio on my mac and that enabled desktop audio to play -AND- record. It was a lucky shot in the dark as I had no other path that worked. Worth a try if you haven't and at least in my case; some of my settings were retained with scenes and sources. I am not sure where those settings were persisted. Good luck and hope you're well on your way.