Cannot set camera resolution higher than 1024x576 for Sony A6300 camera

MattWithAHat

Hello,

I am using a Sony Alpha 6300 as a webcam. It is connected via USB to my PC and I'm using the Sony Imaging Edge Webcam software to stream the video to my PC and to OBS. However, for some reason, when I add the camera via "Video Capture Device" in OBS, I cannot change the resolution to anything else but 1024x576.

1632491177098.png

I used an online tool to check what resolutions my "webcam" currently supports and the result was also that it only supports 1024x576. So I'm guessing this might not even be an OBS issue, but I'm sure there are many people here in the forum who use the Sony Alpha 6300. Maybe I have a settings wrong in my camera or something? What do I have to do to get a higher resolution?

Logfile: https://obsproject.com/logs/Lo89oPxUvgmwbhKV

MattWithAHat

Wow, it totally didn't come to my mind that it could actually be limited by the camera, since this is quite a pricy one and it's used by so many streamers. So there is no way the camera can output more than 1,024 × 576 pixels via USB? That's almost unbelievable to me. Thanks for pointing this out to me anyway!

Last edited:

Lawrence_SoCal

That is NOT an upper-end camera and it was released 5 1/2 years ago when USB2 was common in cameras, so very limited bandwidth and cameras that that time not designed with chips to compress video for transmit over USB
so ... get over your disbelief... ;^) you are trying to do a new thing with old tech not designed for it... no surprising there are real limits in the camera and in the webcam software (as it is being cautious and knows the tech limits of the cameras and shot for a lowest common denominator)

So, what do people do instead (for this Sony and many brands/models... other than getting newer, more appropriate camera)?
- many will record video on camera, then transfer video file to computer, and use OBS as a video compositing tool
- for livestreaming (ie use as webcam): use the HDMI output on the camera, adjust settings (if possible) for clean HDMI out) and use a HDMI capture card to connect to PC... note this has its own Pro's and Con's

mica_

Yea, I don't think any of Sony's cameras output more than 576p over USB.. you'll have to use the HDMI output into a video capture card if you want higher resolutions