Cannot find 'Connect Account' button in OBS 30.0 Ubuntu Snap

MesabiRangeMike

Trying to setup streaming for YouTube in OBS Studio 30.0 that I installed on Ubuntu 23.04 via SNAP. I have my streaming key from YouTube. In OBS 'Settings' section I have selected YouTube RTMPS as the Service, Primary YouTube Ingest Server as the Server, entered the Stream Key, hit Apply then OK. I have my Sources selected and can see in the Preview Window the content I wish to stream, but after selecting Start Streaming, nothing is transmitted to YouTube.
Every How-To I can find shows a Connect Account button for enabling OBS to access my Google/YouTube account that missing from my version of OBS. I have run out of other ideas as to what to check/configure. Any help is appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-12-25 11-28-23.png
    Screenshot from 2023-12-25 11-28-23.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 18

AaronD

I'd strongly recommend the PPA (Debian derivatives, like Ubuntu and family) or whatever your system uses for a native install. Containers like snap and flatpak are self-contained for security reasons more than anything else, and so it's hard to make them talk to things that OBS needs to work completely. It can be done, but it requires you to jump through a bunch of hoops to make the security model into swiss cheese.

So if the primary purpose of the container is no longer functional, why use the container?

MesabiRangeMike

Finally got it to work. Here's what I did:
1) Launched the game I wanted to stream. Alt Tab'd to the desktop
2) Opened OBS Studio and selected as my Source 'Window Capture (Xcomposite)'
3) Clicked on Settings - Stream - Get Stream Key which opened a new YouTube Studio screen
4) Went back to OBS Studio and selected Start Streaming
5) Went back to the YouTube Studio window and waited for the game graphics to load into the preview window.
6) Played a few minutes
7) Alt Tab'd to the browser and selected End Stream
8) Switched back to OBS and selected Stop Streaming

In my attempts to Google a set of instructions (either text or video) I could not find anything that was specific to both Linux distros or 30.0.0. Most all suggested using Game Capture as the source or omitted using the Get Stream Key to launch the YouTube Studio session. Launching the YouTube Studio session manually never produced positive results.

I'm not sure how to tag this post as closed, but it most definitely is

AaronD

In my attempts to Google a set of instructions (either text or video) I could not find anything that was specific to both Linux distros or 30.0.0. Most all suggested using Game Capture as the source or omitted using the Get Stream Key to launch the YouTube Studio session.
There are no complete instructions. And most instructions either spread their own misunderstanding that only happened to work by accident for that one specific application on that one rig with that combination of hardware, apps, and settings; or are old enough to be wrong for today's versions of things anyway.

Don't take any set of instructions as complete. More like shopping the knick-knack stores for ideas, buying nothing but putting it all back on the shelves instead, and then making your own with those ideas.