Can I take obs-vst.so from OBS 28 and use it in OBS 27.2.3?

Olevianus

For the moment, I am not updating obs-studio to 28.x, because I cannot get obs-rtspserver (3.0.0) to work with it, hence I have downgraded back to obs-studio 27.2.3 and obs-rtspserver 2.3.0.
However I really liked that I can use VST 2.x plugins in OBS 28.
Until I get to fix the issue with RTSP server, Can I take the obs-vst.so from obs-studio 28 and make use of it in 27.2.3?
Do I need some additional files? Or is it not going to work at all?

AaronD

At the risk of completely wrecking your rig and making you rebuild it from scratch, I'm going to say the same thing here that I did to someone else with a similar issue:

Generally, you want to keep the video and audio processing separate, so that each can be excellent at its own job, and then combine them at the last step. Practically, this means moving all of the audio processing out of OBS and into something else, that feeds OBS as an unchanged passthrough. That something else could be a physical mixer that feeds a dedicated sound card, or a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) that feeds a loopback on the same machine. Either way, the raw audio sources go directly to the audio processor, not OBS, and OBS only sees the final result. Any audio plugins also go in the external audio processor, not OBS.

I'd recommend Ardour as a VERY capable DAW:
And if you can and haven't already (this is the rebuild-from-scratch part), switch to Ubuntu Studio, which has both Ardour and OBS preinstalled, and a TON of plugins that already work:
Add OBS's official PPA, according to the sticky thread in this forum, and the normal update process gets you the current version of OBS.

Olevianus

At the risk of completely wrecking your rig and making you rebuild it from scratch, I'm going to say the same thing here that I did to someone else with a similar issue:

Generally, you want to keep the video and audio processing separate, so that each can be excellent at its own job, and then combine them at the last step. Practically, this means moving all of the audio processing out of OBS and into something else, that feeds OBS as an unchanged passthrough. That something else could be a physical mixer that feeds a dedicated sound card, or a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) that feeds a loopback on the same machine. Either way, the raw audio sources go directly to the audio processor, not OBS, and OBS only sees the final result. Any audio plugins also go in the external audio processor, not OBS.

I'd recommend Ardour as a VERY capable DAW:
And if you can and haven't already (this is the rebuild-from-scratch part), switch to Ubuntu Studio, which has both Ardour and OBS preinstalled, and a TON of plugins that already work:
Add OBS's official PPA, according to the sticky thread in this forum, and the normal update process gets you the current version of OBS.
My problem there is that I cannot get plugin obs-rtspserver to work with OBS 28.0.3+ (based on the .deb packages from the official PPA and the .deb packages on Git for obs-rtspserver. Of course obs-rtspserver 2.3.0 is not compatible... no surprise there, but then 3.0,0 is silently not recognized.
RTSP stream is for the moment more important, hence not upgrading until it could be solved.

For postprocessing I completely agree with separating audio and video and combining in the last step.
For our CCTV-like live RTSP for a remote room I would like to keep it as simple as possible... as few components as possible and as little latency as possible.
Even for such a basic thing like a high pass low reject filter with a frequency parameter it seems I need VST :-/

AaronD

I cannot get plugin obs-rtspserver to work with OBS 28.0.3+ (based on the .deb packages from the official PPA and the .deb packages on Git for obs-rtspserver. Of course obs-rtspserver 2.3.0 is not compatible... no surprise there, but then 3.0,0 is silently not recognized.
You mean this?:

RTSP stream is for the moment more important, hence not upgrading until it could be solved.
I've never seen the point. I thought OBS already did send an RTSP stream to your chosen platform. (YouTube, Facebook, Twitch, etc.) What are you doing?

Maybe a restreamer would do the job instead? Install it on your local machine, or at least somewhere on the same network, OBS streams to that like it does to any other service, and then the restreamer handles everything from there.

I would like to keep it as simple as possible... as few components as possible and as little latency as possible.
Even for such a basic thing like a high pass low reject filter with a frequency parameter it seems I need VST :-/
It's amazing how visibly complex even a "simple" rig can get, mostly because there's no such thing as a "standard" rig. Every one of them is unique, with different needs and different workflows, and so you get to build for yourself exactly what you need. Which also means that you see all of what's going on in its entirety. It's not really fair to compare that to a monolithic block of code that encapsulates in fact *more* complexity into one thing, and still probably doesn't do what you need.

Latency...requires a massive amount of processing power, running easy, to keep to a minimum. (or a dedicated piece of hardware that is entirely optimized for that one purpose and doesn't even *have* an operating system that you would normally think of) Do you have that?

For audio processing, yes, you've discovered how bad OBS is with that. Other tools aren't much better. Do it all externally, so that OBS only sees the finished soundtrack.