Question / Help Camera Won't Show Up in OBS

Laktoes

Way too much effort just to find out that it was Bitdefender. I just spent the past 2 1/2 hours drowning in videos and forums to find out that everything BUT obs was allowed access through BD. That probably needs to be the focal point on trouble shooting for ANYONE who encounters this issue in the future, especially those who use Bitdefender. Great protection, don't get me wrong...but two of us using that service just experienced more headache than was actually necessary.

IF YOU USE BITDEFENDER!!!!!!!!!! and you have tried everything else...

Open your Bitdefender application on your computer. Click on the eyeball icon (probably your starting page on the app), then click "View Features". On the far right side under "Webcam Protection" you will click on "Webcam Access". You'll probably notice that OBS isn't allowed access... click to allow OBS access. No more grey screen. You may also want to ensure that your Windows 10 privacy settings also allow camera use.

Zix

Ok so I have this issue, and I do not have bitdefender on my pc. I have had the webcam working before. I streamed with it several times. Then all of a sudden windows 10 update and poof nothing. Then I magically got it working again, with like 4FPS. Now nothing, just red box. The camera lights up, and works in logitech settings, and other platforms, but not in OBS. I checked windows firewall and completely turned it off, no change. I uninstalled the device, restarted the computer, no change. I get no picture, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why... Please help me lol

Zix

Fixed it myself sorry, changed resolution to 640x480 and all of a sudden works like a charm

VariableEddie

For some reason it ended up working when I changed the "Video Format" setting to MJPEG. It would turn the camera on if I changed some other settings but wouldn't work.

holsen

Another one joins the club. It's 2021 and it just happened to me too. My Logitech Brio, which I've been using with OBS 26.1.1 for months just went dead in OBS. I'm not running bitdefender, the camera shows up and works in Zoom, Camera App, Skype but will not start up in OBS. I've restarted, Plugged in and unplugged the camera - nothing,,,,,, most peculiar and more importantly most troubling as I've made OBS a huge part of my workflow through Virtual Cam as a public speaker and virtual Corporate trainer. Any new insights?

OldLadyGamerxx

I stream my games to Twitch, mine has just stopped working too. It was working fine on Sunday. I have a Logitech C922.
Please tell me someone has an answer x

ottawafro

Another one joins the club. It's 2021 and it just happened to me too. My Logitech Brio, which I've been using with OBS 26.1.1 for months just went dead in OBS. I'm not running bitdefender, the camera shows up and works in Zoom, Camera App, Skype but will not start up in OBS. I've restarted, Plugged in and unplugged the camera - nothing,,,,,, most peculiar and more importantly most troubling as I've made OBS a huge part of my workflow through Virtual Cam as a public speaker and virtual Corporate trainer. Any new insights?
Did you find a fix. I have this issue after an update to 4k brio. Works in everything besides OBS ...

chlersrestrw

I understand something changed. Obviously this wouldnt happen if nothing changed. I have checked the USB controllers and all of them say they are working properly. Like I said before, I have restarted OBS, restarted my PC, Ive even uninstalled and reinstalled with the latest version and an older version. No matter what I do it seems OBS just doesnt recognize any cameras. The cameras work just fine on their own and in XSplit, and my PC has no viruses or any other reason to make me think its anything outside of OBS. This just really sucks because I cant stream when I should be, and I don't know XSplit very well. Looks like I'm gonna have to brush up on it.
This also happened with me when i go live stream on Youtube. Every thing is fine as i go live session before that. But this time my facecam crash and i also update the OBS to latest 1 day ago.