Browser choppy video hardware acceleration off

CaptainHair

Hi All. I am new to the group (first post). I’m new to using this app and need a little help. I have 3 different laptops (a Dell 5759 [i5-1035G1], and two ASUS VivoBook F512JA-AS54 [Intel i5-1035G1 CPU]). They seem to be up to spec to use this OBS. But it looks like any time I try to record video from a browser I have to turn off “use hardware acceleration when available” in any browser. When I do this the video is very choppy (not worth recording). I’m not running anything else, just the browser (Chrome or Edge) and things are choppy.

Is there anything I can do to get around this?

Is there anyway I can record browser video without disabling “use hardware acceleration”?

Is there any hardware I could attach to the laptop that might get me around this? Is there a way I could leave “use hardware acceleration when available” enabled, run video out of my laptop HDMI port to some sort of card, and then run it back into the laptop and record using OBS?

Sorry for some many questions. I just don’t enough about the inner workings of OBS or enough about hardware for video recording and I just need help. Thanks in advance for any help or feedback you can provide.

PS – I didn’t include any logs because I am seeing the issue just running the browser.

koala

With one of the recent versions of obs (25.x and above) on the current versions of Windows 10 (1903 and above) OBS should be able to record browsers with hardware acceleration activated just fine.
Make sure you're using a Window capture source to capture your browser and a small yellow border appears around the browser - this is a sign of the capture method that is able to capture hardware-accelerated browser content. If it isn't used automatically, activate it explicitly in the properties of the window capture source. Set Capture Method to "Windows Graphics capture (Windows 10 1903 and up)".

If you posted a logfile with a log where you tried to capture a browser window with hardware acceleration activated, we would immediately see if there is some issue with this setting and app and os versions.

CaptainHair

Hi Koala. I really appreciate you taking the time to look at this form me. I confirmed im running Windows 10 2004 (os build 19041) and the current version of OSB 26.1.0. When I select window capture i see the Chrome window I am interested in, select it, and can see the yellow outline around it when I view Chrome. But when I come back to OBS nothing is previewing. I also tried the suggestions under "For NVIDIA-based Laptops" on this wiki page (https://obsproject.com/wiki/Laptop-Troubleshooting) but it didnt seem to help. I am attaching the log OBS created. Does anything stand out to you? Thanks in advance for the help. I really appreciate it. I'm just trying to do a little something nice for my wife. One of her parents are dealing with Cancer and I'd like to say a couple old shows she likes but only ever show in December. ;) Again thanks.

Attachments

• 2020-12-31 17-26-01.txt
    18.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 2020-12-31 17-46-00.txt
    10 KB · Views: 20
  • 2020-12-31 17-49-30.txt
    13.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 2020-12-31 17-58-58.txt
    5.5 KB · Views: 18