Mmusicmann

Hi there,

I'm using OBS 29.0.2 (64 bit) on an M1 MacBook Pro running Monterey 12.6.3

I've gone through great lengths to be able to use my mirrorless Sony as a webcam here in OBS. There is what seems to be an automatic blur effect that is being added to my camera source. I didn't go through all the headache of using a great lens with perfect bokeh to have it over ridden by this fake A.I. looking blurred background (and foreground). Can't seem to find anyway to turn it off. I've got no filters on and nothing in properties seems to fix it either. Please help!! Thank you

Hi there,

I've gone through great lengths to be able to use my mirrorless Sony as a webcam here in OBS. There is what seems to be an automatic blur effect that is being added to my camera source. I didn't go through all the headache of using a great lens with perfect bokeh to have it over ridden by this fake A.I. looking blurred background (and foreground). Can't seem to find anyway to turn it off. I've got no filters on and nothing in properties seems to fix it either. Please help!! Thank you
Hm...no expert here, but I would consider looking in other scenes and whatnot to see if you have it blurred somewhere else. If I remember correctly one of my sources had an effect on it and it wasn't activated in that source, but the same source somewhere else. I might be wrong though? Good luck!

Mmusicmann

Hm...no expert here, but I would consider looking in other scenes and whatnot to see if you have it blurred somewhere else. If I remember correctly one of my sources had an effect on it and it wasn't activated in that source, but the same source somewhere else. I might be wrong though? Good luck!
Yeah, no I just created all the scenes today fresh. There are no filters on anything at all actually, it just seems to be some weird default thing that I can't figure out how to get rid of. Thank you for your input though!

Harold

It's entirely possible that the camera itself is adding the effect, but your source group may be contributing to the issue.
Make a new scene collection in the scene collections menu, and add JUST the camera to the collection, see if the problem persists.

Mmusicmann

It's entirely possible that the camera itself is adding the effect, but your source group may be contributing to the issue.
Make a new scene collection in the scene collections menu, and add JUST the camera to the collection, see if the problem persists.
I made the new scene collection and added just the camera. The problem is still there. Using my same Sony imaging edge "webcam" option in Zoom it doesn't happen though. The problem is only in OBS. If it IS the camera itself adding the effect, it's only doing it in OBS and I still can't figure out how or why

Again, I'm not a programmer, but I would learn how to back up my work with scenes manager by Exeldro (you could find a tutorial on youtube to show you how.) This will come in handy in the future also. After you feel confident you have done the backup properly then start fresh. Do yourself a favor and don't rush it though. Make sure you have backed it up before you proceed. I made this mistake and couldn't find it.This would let you know if it is something in OBS or not. On the other hand I'm sure Harold can spot the issue by looking at your logs. He has proven he knows what to do. Good luck! Edit: I want to clarify what I said. I think truly starting from nothing should help in your troubleshooting. I have created an additional new scene in the past and it doesn't always help..... Oh! do you keep older versions of OBS on your hard drive, but don't use them? I have and it always seemed that even though the versions have changed the base software didn't. Just a thought. Good luck!

Last edited:

mikeyknightbz

Hi there,

It's a button in the top right corner of your Mac when in the Mac photo app that is running your webcam with on your Mac

Mescalito

Hey, I have registered on the forum just to leave this comment.

I have been tormented by the same issue on my Macbook with this unwarranted blur effect.

I can see that you eventually figured it out - indeed it is the web camera built-in control that has this 'Portrait' setting turned on by default and fed into OBS. So annoying! I am contributing with a screenshot of the setting in question to help others figure the issue out quicker:

Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 04.36.08.png

Thanks for figuring it out and sharing it here - really appreciate it!
I was so desparate I was close to even abandon using OBS for recording demo videos